Introducing myself...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffM9182

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Jeff and I recently became interested again in model rocketry. I first started back in the mid-90s as a middle school student with help from my father, as we were both big space buffs and have been to Kennedy Space Center and have seen numerous space shuttle launches.

Given the downtime as a result of current events, I've been reconnecting with lost interests. I'm amazed at the community of model rocketeers online - it's like I've found a treasure trove of information and building tips that weren't available when I first started building rockets 25 years ago.

I'm currently working on building an Estes Patriot, which I'm enjoying very much. It's far from perfect as my gluing and painting skills are a little rusty (I figure my first few builds will be a little "rough"), but if and when I do launch it, I'll try to be smarter and not have it land in a tree like so many of my other builds from back in the day.

I'm located in the Philadelphia suburbs, so if any fellow members are in the area, I'd love to connect. I plan to join my local NAR and go to a meet once things open up again.

Look forward to meeting everyone else.

Hey Jeff welcome back to this awesome hobby. A lot of great people on this forum and yes its a treasure trove of knowledge. You'll find so many neat tips and tricks that it will blow your mind. Its a very addicting hobby and before long I'm sure you will be building bigger rockets and trying new things. Some of the guys on here have been around for awhile and have years and years of experience and whats great is that they are always there to help you. So don't be afraid to speak up and ask no matter what the question may be? Its easier to correct and discuss a question then tried to remedy a mistake that could have been avoided. We'll all here to have a great time and enjoy this cool hobby even though most of us can't get out there to fly. Anyway know you are in good company of fellow rocket teers.

Welcome Jeff! That sounds like me as well, I was active in the 90s, and only recently found this forum. I'm actually not too far from Philadelphia. I've been to PARA 520 a few times, it is a friendly and laid back group.

Welcome back Jeff! As an old timer who also discovered the sport as a middle schooler in the late 60s and then "rediscovered" it as a retiree 3 years ago, this forum is an invaluable resource that'll help get you up to speed quickly. The combined experience and knowledge of the members here is nothing short of encyclopedic, and everyone here is more than willing to help you out with any questions you may have. What's great is that a lot of the people here are on the cutting-edge of things in terms of techniques and design, and can help steer you away from any dead ends or mistakes they've lived through and solved. A lot has changed since the early days, so this is an exciting time to become reacquainted with the sport, and the help and camaraderie here is infectious. TRF can be addictive...but in the best possible way!

... I'm currently working on building an Estes Patriot .

That was also my first scale build a few years ago when I got started again! Who knows, maybe in a few years time you'll also evolve to the point of posting nonsense on these forums!
:welcome:

Welcome Jeff! You'll find TRF to be one of the most well-behaved forums around. People are very nice and you'll get far more information on every aspect of rocketry than you ever thought possible.

BTW if your painting/finishing skills are rusty, do what Chuck (cwbullet, great moderator, thanks Chuck for all you do!) does---and has convinced me to do, too. Fly naked. (THE ROCKET, PLEASE!! 😉 ) If the rocket survives its first flight(s), it earns its paint.

And if you haven't seen JimZ's site, it's worth a visit. I suspect most of the folks on this forum have his page bookmarked. Wait until you have some time to spare before you visit, because you'll be staying there for a while, I'm sure.
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/
Best -- Terry

Back