Into The Dirt At 180 MPH. BPS.space had a bad day.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, the crash inspection and data retrieval off the flash was my favorite part of the video.

So, who’s going to take him up on his offer to fly AVA in your rocket?

Cameo by our RSO at HARA's field
I was hoping he'd show shot of the makeshift shovel we gave him to extract the nosecone lol

Picking through the dirt for all those components takes some real dedication

Isn’t he based in the New England area? Heck of a drive for a heartbreaking outcome. At least he got good footage and rescued the data.

Always sad to see lawn darts, but he does a great job explaining the data.

"Uh Oh Indeed" is a great airframe name.

Edit: also "Airframe Sensing Its Own Death" and "Parker I Am Sorry"

Last edited:
I'd let him do a ride-along and even go as redundant system but I doubt he wants to fly any farther north than he already is.

Bummer about the flight. Conformally coating the PCA makes the parts much less likely to shear off on impact. Being a development board I suspect he did not have it conformally coated yet.

I think some day that young man will have something to contribute to the HPR electronics line that will supply way more data than anything out there today. At least to me it looks like it. It's fairly large in size, but it's still a prototype.

I thought the video showed him removing the conformal coating before attaching it to a new board to extract the data. Maybe I'm thinking of a different video.
Nope, that was the one. There was a conformal coating. But that was also quite an impact, and it bent the PCB in half, so...

Yeah..a heat gun isn't a soldering iron. Glad he was able to get some data. I love the data he captures and I hope to see it out soon.

I thought the video showed him removing the conformal coating before attaching it to a new board to extract the data. Maybe I'm thinking of a different video.
He mentioned he used conformal coating cleaner to clean it up but I am not sure it had any coating on it. Could have just been cleaning other detritus from the crash. We almost never conformally coat development boards because it makes them too difficult to fault-find. I could be wrong in his case, maybe.

He mentioned he used conformal coating cleaner to clean it up but I am not sure it had any coating on it. Could have just been cleaning other detritus from the crash. We almost never conformally coat development boards because it makes them too difficult to fault-find. I could be wrong in his case, maybe.
Quite true, it could have been just used as a general cleaner and that makes sense.

Back