Internet Stalkers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardw

Reaction score
So, any tips to deal with an internet stalker. For some reason I have one right now (that is a guy, interestingly enough) that says he loves me and says very derogatory things about my wife? Any places to go?

:(

Edward

From my experience in IT, there's unfortunately nothing you can do, unless there's a direct and concrete threat to your lives or significant criminal activity. It's horrible, but this is what these sicko type of people count on.

Someone else, more legally minded, might know more, but in the meantime all you can do is either block the sender or change providers/accounts.

Sorry for what you're going through . . . I know it's got to be horrible.

You may want to trace/lookup his IP address to find out where he lives using a traceroute. Or you could simply tell your ISP about it to see if they can help you out in any way.
You can find the originating IP often in email headers and such. It'll usually be an option in your email program to show headers.

Command-prompt for a traceroute is: tracert IP

If they have been communicating to you via email you can always block either their address, or the orginating IP so that if they change address they will still be blocked.

Asking your ISP about it is probably the best thing you can do.

Originally posted by edwardw
So, any tips to deal with an internet stalker. For some reason I have one right now (that is a guy, interestingly enough) that says he loves me and says very derogatory things about my wife? Any places to go?

:(

Edward

The police. Stalking is stalking and you have the right to report it. If they say they don't take that kind of report, what they mean is they don't know anything about how to handle it, but the fact is they do have to take the report. This is less of a problem these days than it used to be, but sometimes you still need to insist.

If you know who it is, you can tell the police. If you don't, there's ways to find out, and there's plenty of people who can help. Worst possible case it takes a court order to get that information from his ISP. Just telling his ISP may work, or it may just get him booted from that ISP and he may come back.

If you are afraid for your well being (or your wife's) that's cause for the police to act. If you know where he's at and it's in your own state, your police can call the police at his location. If it's interstate, it's federal and that's FBI. Still, they require you to have filed a complaint with your local police first. Telling the local police that fact is usually enough to get them to take the report if they're reluctant.

Save everything he says. If he threatens in any way, that's assault in every state. And it is YOUR say as to whether you feel he may carry through on any perceived threat and actually attempt to harm you or your wife.

This is a good reason not to post personally identifiable information on the web. Many years ago I P.O.'ed someone on usenet, we had some nasty words via email, next thing I know they started making calls to my home and WORK and generally trying to make my life miserable in some extremely nasty ways. It's also wise to stay WELL AWAY from politically charged arguments or flamefests, especially if you're using your real name.

I had something similar happen as a result of an RMR post. I started getting quasi-threatening e-mails at work from this goofball. I never bothered to answer him because a) it was my work e-mail, and b) I figured he'd eventually dry up like the dog turd he was and fertilize a lawn somewhere.

Back