Internal frame work

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone has pics of an internal frame work for support of airframe, would like to see them. I am using a 12" OD sonotube for the frame, will be glassed on outside, but wondering if I should build frame inside also. Probably fly on an AT M1350W. Thanks in advance.

But I am hoping mine comes out straight :)

Straight is overrated. :)

That rocket flew just fine:

Actually, we had hoped the external skin -- the shrink wrap they put over boats for the winter -- would provide a bit more rigidity. If you watch the video closely the rocket appears to flex at motor burnout.

If anyone has pics of an internal frame work for support of airframe, would like to see them. I am using a 12" OD sonotube for the frame, will be glassed on outside, but wondering if I should build frame inside also. Probably fly on an AT M1350W. Thanks in advance.

I am not a mechanical engineer!

Here's a simple thought experiment. How much does your nose cone weigh? 15lb? If so, under 10G of acceleration that NC looks like a 165lb static weight. Will the body tube standing vertically on the ground hold that weight? Would you stand underneath it? :)

Spiral wound tubes (like sonotube) usualy fail at the seams. A small dent from carrying or transporting a big rocket can be fatal. The primary value of a thin fiberglass exterior is to prevent those dings. If you have a thick fiberglass exterior, ditch the sonotube. It's just extra weight.

I am still not a mechanical engineer.

OK, I'm not a mechanical engineer either and I haven't done any fiberglass work. So why am I even writing about this? Feel free to ignore me.

If the fiberglass is done the way I've read then the first layer of epoxy will penetrate the cardboard fibers a little, including into the outer layer seems, and lock it all together. A straight circular column is really quite strong assuming it doesn't buckle. I think a 12" diameter, thick walled spiral wound cardboard tube with a layer of laminating epoxy is not going to buckle under a 165 lb load that's well centered. Yes, I'd stand under it. If I had a reason to, not just for giggles.

If the fiberglass is thick enough to take all the flight loads, the sonatube made a hand form and doesn't weigh enough to bother removing.

Internal structure? I'm not even going to gue... yes I am. I'm not aware of others doing it. I guess it would help prevent buckling, which I already guessed won't be a problem. So my guess is you don't need it.

Back