Interesting Space News

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
The Space Shuttle Was a Beautiful—but Terrible—Idea
22 Apr 2020

https://gizmodo.com/the-space-shuttle-was-a-beautiful-but-terrible-idea-1842732042
In 2005, then-NASA administrator Michael Griffin shocked the aerospace community when he openly criticized the Space Shuttle program, describing it to USA Today as a “mistake,” “just barely possible,” and “not the right path” for the United States.

Griffin’s comments were astonishing, given that the program was still in full swing and very much celebrated by the American public. The shuttles would be permanently grounded just six years later, retired after 30 captivating but undeniably tumultuous years.

But the cracks in the program had formed long before Griffin publicly aired his grievances. The 1986 Challenger and 2003 Columbia disasters, which resulted in the deaths of 14 astronauts, caused many to question the concept and whether this 4.5-million-pound “space truck,” as it was pitched back in the 1970s, was worth the risk. Other blemishes appeared outside of these tragedies, as it became painfully clear that the program was failing to deliver on its promises.

That the Shuttle resulted in many technological and scientific advancements is undeniable. The question is whether those benefits were worth the costs, whether measured in lives, dollars, or the missed opportunity of not following a more fruitful space strategy. Regrettably, the only plausible answer is no.

Two years before Griffin spoke to USA Today, Alex Roland, a professor of history at Duke University, testified before the Senate Subcommittee on Science, Technology, and Space, saying NASA had “convinced itself” that a reusable launch vehicle would reap tremendous economic benefits, promising savings between 90 and 95 percent in launch costs compared to Saturn V.

But the reality proved to be far different, as “it costs more to put a pound of payload in orbit aboard the Shuttle than it did aboard the Saturn launch vehicle that preceded it,” explained Roland to the subcommittee. “These mistakes produced a program that cannot work,” he said, adding that the “Shuttle grows more dangerous and more expensive to fly with each passing year.”

jfemtov9ljnhjvlbjtud.jpg

Why it wasn't the breast... I mean best idea:

Why I Don't Like the Space Shuttle [Amy's Soapbox]

Why I'm not a Shuttle Fan, Part 2: Dyna-Soar [Amy's Soapbox]

Griffin’s comments were astonishing, given that the program was still in full swing and very much celebrated by the American public. The shuttles would be permanently grounded just six years later, retired after 30 captivating but undeniably tumultuous years.

Not really astonishing. Behind the rose coloured facade, NASA never liked the shuttle from the beginning - it certainly wasn't their idea. It was a forced compromise from deep budgetary cuts. Their original truly reusable transporter proposal was rejected so they needed to offer the Air Force something usable with a heavy lift capacity but with the budget constraints, they could only offer a reusable system requiring intensive refurbishment with solids.
Saying that, from vague memory, there were some administrators (that appeared at least) genuinely quite fond of it (Goldin? IIRC)

When I was a kid, they (news anchors) always said the purpose was to make scientific experiments but they never specified what exactly. When I got older, I figured the program was just a giant PR stunt to get kids into science and the military.

Back