Interesting photo spotted at LDRS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
THIS is an interesting photo:

https://www.info-central.org/LDRS28/LDRS-Friday/images/101_8594.jpg

HMMMM I WONDER WHAT ALL OF THOSE TEAL (NOT BLUE) COLORED TUBES ARE?!

:D

I know what they are. I also know that the 4" version laid flat on the floor can take the weight of a 240 pound dude (on 6 or 7 different occations) and won't deform AT ALL and is still round enough to build a rocket out of it. How do I know? That's what my L2 rocket is made of.

-Dave

Edit: I think the url is fixed...

Last edited:
All I get is a file not found at this location message.:confused2:

I got my first chance to see those tubes last Saturday, it's great stuff.

I'll be building my winter project out of it.

I saw that picture and wondered what it was, maybe PVC but it looked to thin. Looks big :D

Could it be "blue tube"?

https://www.apogeerockets.com/blue_tubes.asp

That's what I assumed it was. Or is "not blue" meant to tell us it's not?

Exactly my point. ;) It is similar to blue tube but as I understand it this is stronger. This is being sold through Red Arrow Hobbies and I believe that Dave has settled on "Teal Steel" for the name - I don't know if that is official yet. I liked "Sumo Tube" myself but I was over-ruled. This stuff has more of a teal than blue color to it. It cuts exactly like phenolic but seems far stronger. I am told this is constructed differently and stronger than Blue Tube but I do not know how.

While I am a little uncertain on the details above (in other words don't quote me on that stuff) I can tell you that working with it is awesome.

-Dave

I got my first chance to see those tubes last Saturday, it's great stuff.

I'll be building my winter project out of it.

Do not use wood-glue on it. Wood glue does funny things to it. On the other hand, it does seem to love epoxy.

-Dave

All I see at Red Arrow is Phlexibile Phenolic. Is that the same stuff? Or is this something new?

Teal Steel? I was thinking more of it's blue relative, but this stuff does seem better.

I've often wondered..

A semi trailer loaded with tubes / pipes.. does it tend to travel straighter, and is less prone to cross winds? Do the tubes / pipes act like "tube fins" and keep the trailer going straight?!

Back