Interceptor painting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronz Rocketz

NAR# 109557, Level 1
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Putting together the Interceptor with the two plastic pods. I haven't glued them together yet. What is the best way to paint them? If I use the regular primer and paint, it will fill in the detail work in the plastic. TIA

I glued mine together with styrene plastic glue, primed white and then sprayed the orangish color. I use Tamiya primer and spray paints. I then used superglue gel to attach it to the ends of the wings - the theory being that the wing pods take high stress upon landing, and its better to have them come off than be really solidly attached and break the wing.

Going through YT videos for advice. Does anyone use adhesion promoter instead of primer?

I haven't had any issues with paint adhesion with either regular Interceptor, or Interceptor E pods.

If I use the regular primer and paint, it will fill in the detail work in the plastic.

Exactly the concern.
I would avoid primers, since additional layers of paint will obfuscate the detailing contours molded into the plastic parts.

Just glue the two parts (thick CA, Plastrust, or plastic glue all work), then paint.
I've used Rustoleum orange on one (requires 48++ hour wait times before clear coating), and Tamiya TS98 Pure Orange on the Interceptor E. Strongly recommend the latter over the former, if you have access to both.

Last edited:
Unlike HPR rocket nosecones which are polypropylene plastic Estes nosecones and plastic parts are polystyrene plastic, so the same primers and glues used for plastic car/truck/plane/tank/ship will work. I tend to use Testors liquid plastic cement or plastruct cements. I have never found a need for adhesion promoter on Estes kits, but do use it on HPR kits, some of my Estes kits are over 35 years old and other than scratches the paint on the plastic parts is still firmly attached, and can only be removed by sanding.

Back