Interceptor G motor retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timster68

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm back looking at building my Interceptor G and I need to cut the plastic tail cone to fit the 29mm motor tube. I can't see clearly, but does the motor tube end just inside the outside end of the tail one?

What kind of motor retainer do people use with this rocket?

I've only built regular Interceptor (#1250) and an Interceptor E (#1350), and here is what their tail cones look like:
1622355243996.png 1622355307307.png 1622355379446.png
Note 1: I did attempt to put a positive motor retainer into regular Interceptor (I hate engine hooks), but could not get it to fit inside the tail cone.
Note 2: Interceptor E's tail cone perfectly contains and physically matches the 24mm Estes plastic motor retainer.

I would expect Interceptor G to also accommodate either an Estes or an AeroPack motor retainer.
This reminds me, I need to start shopping for one!

HTH,
a

Thanks, I'm bit shy on pulling the trigger on cutting the tail cone. I need to get a slimline motor retainer and get it fitted.

If you want to clone one, I am about the send the tail cone and the Mercury Atlas parts to Boyce Aerospace to get them to duplicate them. I also got the fins duplicated by James at Rocketryworks.

Hi, what’s the feedback from Boyce on a 29mm tail cone and centering rings? I’ve started my interceptor E
Or just modify current part to take 29mm motor tube
Thanks
Joe

On my first Interceptor G I cut a notch about 3/8"x3/8" in the tail cone, and epoxied an 8-32 coupling nut about 3/4" long to the MMT. Hasn't been launched yet but I'll attach an ordinary metal motor clip to the nut with a screw.

I have another kit that hasn't been started yet, but if a different solution doesn't appear I'll do the same thing.

BTW check to be certain that your 29mm motors and casings will fit the MMT before assembly! My MMT was the slightest bit too tight. New centering rings and a phenolic MMT took care of that.

Best -- Terry

I am just going to make the motor tube flush with the tail piece and use friction fit.

I also wanted to ask how much weight you put in the cone to balance it out properly to ensure stability?

I am looking forward to this. Ever since I saw an Interceptor E go on a G40 and G64 I said I was going to do that! Glorious

Back