Interceptor E cluster?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Has anyone ever converted an Estes Interceptor E to a two motor cluster? Is it even possible?

I just see a few problems with doing this, first and formost the intercepter-E uses a 2.0 inch tube(coustom tailored) the standard cluster mounts made by namely sunward are designed to fit a Bt-60 or a Bt80 tube,this can be worked around by getting or making coutum centering rings, which brings up another problem 2X24mm motors would be 48mm that would leave less then 1mm on each side of the motors... That would rule out cardstock centering rings, which basicly leaves you with plywood centering rings, which means you have to either have a super stiff and sharp hobby knife or you with have to send the templete to commonwealth displays so they can cut it out with their laser cutter to do so, but 1mm leave the rings fragile at best, unless you use something rediculously thick like 1/2 ply or something along that ball park, but then there is another problem this kit uses a plasic nozzel, which would prohibit use of a cluster, sure you could remove it but I believe it would make the kit look stupid :D after all you spent a good $60 on the kit, and don't you want to be proud to fly this as a true estes classic? That said think about it, 24mm motors can boost the intercepter-E safly well all EXCEPT the E-9 :D I think modifying it to a cluster would be time-consuming and expencive if not pointless......;)

I could make centering rings out of 1/8" ply, I have a drill press, band saw, and wood lathe. But it really depends on the inside diameter of the nonstandard body tube. The outside diameter of a 24mm motor tube is .950" or 24.13mm. The body tube is probably 2" OD. If the wall thickness is .020", that leaves a 1.96" ID. The thickness of the two motor tubes would be 1.90", which leaves only .060" or 1.5mm. It would be tight, but I think I could do it. I just don't know if it would be worth the trouble.

My idea is to be able to use two D12's or E9's, instead of having to mail order 24mm composite E's.

I could make centering rings out of 1/8" ply, I have a drill press, band saw, and wood lathe. But it really depends on the inside diameter of the nonstandard body tube. The outside diameter of a 24mm motor tube is .950" or 24.13mm. The body tube is probably 2" OD. If the wall thickness is .020", that leaves a 1.96" ID. The thickness of the two motor tubes would be 1.90", which leaves only .060" or 1.5mm. It would be tight, but I think I could do it. I just don't know if it would be worth the trouble.

My idea is to be able to use two D12's or E9's, instead of having to mail order 24mm composite E's.

I would personally go the route of the 24/40 and 24/60 reloads. However, I understand the desire to stay with black powder. It lights easier, it's cheaper, and, heck, it smells better. (Don't tell me you don't know it smells better. :roll:)

If you have your heart dead set on the Interceptor E, then go for it. If you don't mind possibly building it stock, I would get the kit and check the fit of the two motor tubes. An easy way to do this would be to simply glue the two motor tubes together and see if they slide comfortably into the 2" tube. If they do, cut two centering ring halves (no, you will not be able to make them as one piece) and slide them on either side of the MMT to seal it up. I would also add positive retention at this point. A t-nut on the inside of the centering ring could provide retention for both motors; simply use a 2-56 or 4-40 screw and a washer to hold both motors in.

As an aside, if you decide to go the route of a two motor cluster (which I think would be AWESOME) I would use Q2G2's on every flight, just for added insurance. You don't want to put that much work into something just to crash it because a motor didn't light. Also, this would look awesome on two of the new Quest D8's.

Finally, if you want to do it, anything is worth the trouble. Just because other people say it can't be done doesn't mean that you shouldn't try.

Finally, if you want to do it, anything is worth the trouble. Just because other people say it can't be done doesn't mean that you shouldn't try.

I never said it couldn't be done I just sai it would be hard, I love my BP motors I'v clustered 5 of them instead of using a 29mm AP

Has anyone built an Interceptor E recently? Are the decals any better?

Just a thought. What about attaching two BT-20 tubes with nose cones to the outside, and putting 18mm motors in them? Make it a 1x24mm/2x18mm cluster. Think that would work?

Just a thought. What about attaching two BT-20 tubes with nose cones to the outside, and putting 18mm motors in them? Make it a 1x24mm/2x18mm cluster. Think that would work?

Would work..But extra care is needed to make sure that they all ignite..Wouldn't be pretty if the outboards lit and the central didn't or if only one of the outboards lit(asymmetric thrust)..

Has anyone ever converted an Estes Interceptor E to a two motor cluster? Is it even possible?

Not internally.
I set up E-interceptor up to fly in D12's anyway as I really don't think the E-9's are all that much. but I have been toying with the idea of adding two external D12 "strap-on" boosters in drop pods just for fun.

Not internally.
I set up E-interceptor up to fly in D12's anyway as I really don't think the E-9's are all that much. but I have been toying with the idea of adding two external D12 "strap-on" boosters in drop pods just for fun.

How would you get the pods to drop off?

The new Quest D motors (20mm diam) could be clustered in the big Interceptor in a group of three. Another thread here on TRF just announced that Quest now has purpose-made motor mount tubing for these new motors and I believe a triple-cluster of the new Quest tubes will fit inside a 1.8 inch inside diam, which should easily fit inside the specialty 2-inch Estes tube.

You could put three MMTs inside your Interceptor E and three Quest D motors should give you a good improvement over an Estes D12. Or you could use a plug-body in one MMT and two Quest D motors for a power level roughly comparable to the Estes D12, and the slight off-axis thrust would probably not cause significant problems (note: my assessment is intuitive, you would definitely need to make a few test flights to check).

You could do away with the Estes kit tailfairing piece and replace it with a short cylindrical piece (same length as original Estes tailcone, rolled from some cardstock) and add strips of balsa or spruce to make the same kind of shapes on the outside of the original kit nozzle. Call it a nozzle in a "full open" position during operation of the afterburner. This completely avoids adding extra external motor pods, or figuring out how to drop them, or worrying about safe trajectories if one outer pod does not ignite.

Back