Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
- Aug 27, 2011
- Reaction score
If only for the ends of the central fins sticking out, I am glad I did some some finishing. I don’t think I’d go with the latex again. Instructions emphasize the vinyl doesn’t stick to bare balsa.this looks like more work than what its worth?
We will see how the rest of the skinning goes. The nose cone is going to be tough, John Pursley even days if you want you can send it to him and he will finish it for a “Nominal fee.”
Any advice on Monokote Irons? I have one, and I have the sock that goes over it. I have it set to medium high and it isn’t doing anything, supposedly this vinyl is supposed to shrink a bit,
As for the “worth it” bit, part of the attraction for me is that my paint finishing skills after over a decad are still horrible, I see @kuririn , @neil_w , @rklapp , and I shouldn’t even mention @Nathan (although Nathan’s majestic stuff clearly is hours of work, the others seem to produce great stuff in a reasonable amount of time).
Most of my birds are “screwy” in one way or another, in fact most are bare balsa and unpainted tubes, as I hold to the mantra that the probability of first flight resulting in trashed rocket is directly proportional to finishing time. I have always admired the Interceptor, when they briefly re-released the E, I got one but figured I’d do it right, also a little different, going with a skin, but a dark one. I haven’t tried a light Pursley skin, I think this black background is pretty forgiving. Wings and chines are up next, we’ll see how they go.
I think I am going with a lemon yellow for the pods and for the tail cone, for some contrast. The skins themselves have great detail, but they don’t quite “pop” yet, I hope the BCOF (or at least two or three!) help.