Installing rail guides in assembled rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amirpc

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have this annoying habit of completely forgetting to install rail buttons until the rocket is completed.

I haven't successfully installed rail buttons - just guides that I glue on from apogee.

Is it possible to install rail buttons after the rocket is assembled? I have two different style rail buttons. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Attachments

• DA99580F-8BE1-4FA4-A945-213B330CCEDF.jpeg
    DA99580F-8BE1-4FA4-A945-213B330CCEDF.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 128
  • C9403A1F-719F-498C-BE87-F9501A77F076.jpeg
    C9403A1F-719F-498C-BE87-F9501A77F076.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 102
1. You can put a wood block above the top centering ring and screw a wood screw through the guide, tubing, and into the wood block.
2. Make a threaded hole using a tap and screw the screw into the body tubing.

Either way, I recommend strengthening the tube if cardboard.

Last edited:
If you have wooden bulkheads or centering rings and the rocket not too big, it is not too difficult. Just measure how far the wood is from the end of the tube, and go ahead and install them. Fiberglass centering rings can be harder to hit, since they are generally thinner.

Fiberglass centering rings can be harder to hit, since they are generally thinner.

If you have a fiberglass tube, there's no need to hit the centering rings. Just tap the holes straight into the body tube. As long as your not crazy heavy or using L's & M's or above, they'll hold fine.

If you have a fiberglass tube, there's no need to hit the centering rings. Just tap the holes straight into the body tube. As long as your not crazy heavy or using L's & M's or above, they'll hold fine.

That is number 2 above.

Using the flange nuts totally worked. This positioning is as far as I could get them apart though. The wood centering rings are too thin to hit with a wood screw, and I think they may split the wood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 76
Check out the adhesive mount nuts at https://www.mcmaster.com/weld-nuts I've used them for just the purpose you describe. A couple pairs of pliers makes easy work of bending the flange to match the body tube diameter. Sand off the paint and epoxy on.

I will try to do a tutorial on this over the next couple of week. This is a great topic.

Back