Installing a screw-on motor retainer on a kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrecting an "old" post.... BUT??? Using a bit of VASELINE on the retainer threads while gluing the assy. to the MMT will also inhibit any glue from adhering to the threads and/or centering ring. EASY and idiot-proof. Ask me how I know.

Resurrecting an "old" post.... "Again".... but quick question about using LOC Precision 29mm aluminum retainers. When the retainer nut is tightened down on a Econojet motor there is about .030" of fore/aft play. This seems like a bad thing. Motor movement within the retainer would shock load the thrust ring and the retainer.
Or are the aluminum type designed to have some play for thermal reasons? I know the Estes 29mm (plastic) retainer I've used screws down tight on the thrust rings.
Thanks for your insights.

Dose anyone have suggestions on aluminum motor retainers on a bt20 tube? I am ordering the Rocketarium Tank Buster 1021R that has the aluminum motor retainer included in the kit. The aft end is a BT20 that is it. There is no centering ring to glue a retainer against. The fins get glued to the BT20 BT. The aft end is smaller than the top of the rocket so if I glue on the retainer included in the kit it is going stick out past the main BT20 tube. Won’t this cause drag?

Won’t this cause drag?
Based on what you've described, I believe so.

As for a motor retainer for a BT-20 tube using 18mm engines, there's not much you can do to avoid the problem with retainer "sticking out." If you want a retainer with a BT-20 tube that doesn't stick out, you'll want to use a smaller engine, such as the Estes mini 13mm engines. You can take parts from certain Estes kits to make a retainer system for 13mm engines that work with most BT-20 main body tubes.

Unless you plan to use an Aerotech 18/20 reload case, that retainer is useless. Estes BP motors have no thrust ring for the retainer to hold. Personally, I would install a thrust ring in the tube (like an Estes model does) and then just use masking tape to friction fit the motor. (Yes you can add a thrust ring to an Estes motor with tape and super glue. I would still probably friction fit it into the model and leave the retainer off.)

Latest posts

Back