Installed Ubuntu Linux 9.10 the other day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the past five days, I clean installed Ubuntu 9.10 on our laptop after WinXP's registry was corrupted--made it like a brand new laptop again. It's much faster and hasn't crashed once, a truly painless and free upgrade.

Then yesterday, I loaded Ubuntu 9.04 on my Sony PS3, and it's essentially turned my PS3 into a third computer when combined with a keyboard/mouse. While not quite as versatile as a 'normal,' full-up computer, it works for OpenOffice and any email, surfing/web browsing you want. We can now watch YouTube rocket videos on our 40" TV!

Open source, free software--you got to love it. Our household is now 1/3rd Microsoft, 2/3rd's Ubuntu.

I have to say I love how quickly the Linux machine boots up and shuts down, compared to how long it took with Windows Vista Home Basic.

The machine, btw, is an eMachines T3604:
- Intel Celeron D Processor 3561, 64-bit processor with Intel EM64T Technology (3.33GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache)
- Chipset: Intel 945G
- Memory: 512MB DDR2 dual channel capable (1 × 512MB), 533MHz (PC4200), expandable to 2GB
- Video: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, up to 224MB of shared video memory

Linux, which is what Ubuntu is, takes more tweaking than most people who were raised on a Mac or Windows machine. I use Ubuntu solely on my machine.

Andrew

Linux, which is what Ubuntu is, takes more tweaking than most people who were raised on a Mac or Windows machine. I use Ubuntu solely on my machine.

Andrew
I really haven't done any more tweaking with the installation of Ubuntu Linux 9.10 than I typically do with my Windows machines... which may be a little more than most people, but really isn't very much.

For example, not only does the Ubuntu machine not print to the Windows (Vista Home) network printer even though it can see it, neither does the Windows XP machine that also can see it. I don't know why, and I haven't done the investigating or tweaking necessary to get it to work with either machine. It used to work with the Ubuntu machine when that machine had Windows Vista Home Basic running on it.

I'm a Mac guy. Have been for years. I needed a small computer for traveling and Apple is slow to get a netbook on the market so last spring I bought a Lenovo ideapad. I also needed to run a work program that ONLY runs in windows :( . The Lenovo is a nice little machine. It came with Windows XP. That lasted 2 days. Every time I tried to add any devices to the computer the drivers would start conflicting. Then a virus, and that was that!

So off to Ubuntu 9.04. Loved it ran great. My work program was running fine thru wine. Life was good. My only complaint was I could not get a DVD ripping program to work well in Ubuntu.

2 months ago my work program stopped working in Ubuntu! cant figure out why.

Now I'm using Windows 7. UGGGHHHH! It is the most annoying OS I have ever used. But I need to run this one program.

That's it, I'm moving back to MAC. Too bad, because I think Ubuntu is a better OS but I don't have time to fuss with it.
What are you finding so irritating about 7? I'm pretty familiar with it, and maybe I can help. I honestly find macs more irritating by far than any version of windows (with the possible exception of ME), but that's mostly because I'm not used to the interface and can't find anything.

Two things you can try to get Ubuntu and XP to print to the network printer.

[1] Make sure but OS's have the latest printer driver for that specific printer installed.

[2] Both OS's have the correct permission to use the printer.

Andrew

Two things you can try to get Ubuntu and XP to print to the network printer.

[1] Make sure but OS's have the latest printer driver for that specific printer installed.

[2] Both OS's have the correct permission to use the printer.

Andrew
I'm pretty sure it has mostly to do with [2]. Permissions and having the same workgroup name, stuff like that.

What are you finding so irritating about 7? I'm pretty familiar with it, and maybe I can help. I honestly find macs more irritating by far than any version of windows (with the possible exception of ME), but that's mostly because I'm not used to the interface and can't find anything.

Well most stuff is probably user configurable. First is how fast it sleeps, even with the A/C power plugged in. And don't get me started on hibernation! WHY?
Also why do I have to keep entering my password every time it goes to sleep?

It's hard to find downloads, but only sometimes. Can't figure that one out.

If I download a program, why does it not unzip it and start the instaler?

If I leave my cursor on something for more than a few seconds, it opens it.

I can't drag my touchpad to scroll.

So far it seems stable, and looks cool. But I don't think it's as good as OSX, and not even close to Ubuntu.

Of course thats just my opinion.

Well most stuff is probably user configurable. First is how fast it sleeps, even with the A/C power plugged in. And don't get me started on hibernation! WHY?
Well, that's pretty easy to configure. You can just go to the power settings (If it's a laptop, which I would assume from the AC comment, right click on the battery icon in the bottom right and go to "Power Options", otherwise go to the start search and type "power options" and it should be the first thing to come up). The screen should look something like this:

Poweroptions.png

You can change the settings for each of the power plans (typically, there will be 3 plans: balanced, power saver, and high performance). The basic screen looks like this (in a laptop, there will be separate options for what it should do on battery and on AC - mine doesn't have this because these screenshots are from my desktop):

Sleepsettings.png

If you configure different settings for various power plans (for example, balanced and power saver), you can then switch between the plans just by clicking on the battery icon in the bottom right of the screen, which is nice for laptops depending on whether you want to conserve battery life or have more performance. You can also go into the "Advanced Power Settings" to gain access to more detailed options, ranging from advanced processor power management to whether it shuts off the hard drives if the system has been inactive for long enough.

Also why do I have to keep entering my password every time it goes to sleep?
This is also easily settable. In the same "Power Options" screen as above, there is an option on the top left that says "Require a password on wakeup". If you go into that setting, you can disable the requirement for a password when you wake from sleep. You can find a similar setting in the screensaver options, where you can set whether it will lock the computer (requiring a password to get back in) when it goes to screensaver.

Sleeppassword.png

It's hard to find downloads, but only sometimes. Can't figure that one out.
This depends. I'm familiar with Firefox, but I can't help you with IE. If you use Firefox (which I would highly recommend), then you can go to the "Tools" menu, and click on "Options". One of the options on the first page that comes up is the option to set a default download folder, or to always ask the user where they would like to save the file.

FFDownloadSettings.png

Also note that if you tell FF/IE to "open" rather than "save" the file, it will download it to a temporary directory so you can open it. If you want it saved in a permanent location, you're better off telling it to save the file rather than open it.
If I download a program, why does it not unzip it and start the instaler?
If the program is an .exe or .msi, and you tell FF or IE to run the program rather than save it, that's exactly what should happen. If you tell it to save the program (since usually on downloads, you have two options, save and run/open), it won't run it because you didn't tell it to run it. You should just be able to double click the .msi or .exe in the downloads window though, and it will run. If it's a .zip, windows does not automatically run an installer because not all .zip files (or other archive types) are programs. In that case however, you should just be able to open it as a folder (windows natively supports several archive types, and for those that it does not support, I recommend 7-zip). Once you've opened it, you can just run the .exe within the folder and everything should work fine (you may need to extract the entire folder to install properly - windows should prompt you if this is the case).

If I leave my cursor on something for more than a few seconds, it opens it.
That's odd - that's certainly not the default behavior. Will it actually open programs and folders this way, or will it just switch to an already-open window? If it's the first, I don't know how to fix it, but I'd check the touchpad and mouse drivers, but if it's the second I do know how to fix it (it's buried in the settings).

I can't drag my touchpad to scroll.
This would be in the touchpad drivers - check to make sure you have the latest drivers, and then look in their settings. The specifics depend on the touchpad, so I can't say much more without either knowing the exact model or being able to play around with the system for a bit.

So far it seems stable, and looks cool. But I don't think it's as good as OSX, and not even close to Ubuntu.

Of course thats just my opinion.

Of course. I've found that with operating systems, it's very much about what you're used to, and it certainly is primarily opinion. That having been said, I like Win7 and Ubuntu both very much (but I don't care that much for OSX).

Last edited:
CJL,

Thank you very much! That's very kind of you and very helpful.

But....

I'll leave Win 7 on this netbook so I can run the 1 program that won't play well with any other OS, and go back to OSX.

I'm a pilot, not a computer guy. I just don't have time to configure everything on my computer. I agree, it's what your used to and MAC is what I have used for years. I will say I have never had to configure a MAC, they just work out of the box.

Thanks again very much for your help! I do appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back