Inspired by the Comanche 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which is somewhat ironic considering I made the comment earlier in the thread that I wanted to show how to do this because I wanted to show a good, SAFE method of creating a large-ish model rocket from scratch, as opposed to some of the more dangerous methods I have seen on YouTube (using metal parts, homemade motors, checking stability, etc). And, lo and behold, the warp core is about to lose containment on my back wall...

Thank you for doing all of this posting. I am 100% inspired by you and have started my own 36 inch card stock Yellowjacket rocket that I will fly on an E.

Thank you for doing all of this posting. I am 100% inspired by you and have started my own 36 inch card stock Yellowjacket rocket that I will fly on an E.
Cool! If you think about it, take pictures as you go and post them. Definitely show us the final product.

Cool! If you think about it, take pictures as you go and post them. Definitely show us the final product.
I have been taking a few pictures. Do you think that I should I post them here or start a new thread?

Attachments

• IMG_4634.JPG
    IMG_4634.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 21
Earl Scruggs wasn't the best 5-string picker on the planet, but he inspired the rest of us.

You done a whole lot better than I ever could have, but I'm glad that something I tried inspired you!

Banjonate, I thought that you would get a laugh from the second rocket that I was inspired to build from this thread. Three sheets of poster board, cereal box and a little cardboard, not bad!!
IMG_4650.JPG

Thanks Nate! I plan on flying that one on an E. Now I am making a 2X Hornet thanks to your ideas.
I think I saw the Hornet (if it is the same thread I remember seeing). That was one of my favorite kits I built as a teenager.

Hmm... yellow jacket and then hornet. I think I am going to build one and name it the Cicada Killer (a very appropriate name for me living in Cincinnati in 2021)!

Hmm... yellow jacket and then hornet. I think I am going to build one and name it the Cicada Killer (a very appropriate name for me living in Cincinnati in 2021)!

That's a good idea, those Cicada Killers are intimidating, the first time I saw one I about jumped out of my skin.

And I think there is a story out there where a Mantis catches and eats a murder hornet. So, if you are looking for another rocket name for a bigger and badder insect, why not Mantis?

I think I saw the Hornet (if it is the same thread I remember seeing). That was one of my favorite kits I built as a teenager.

Nate, What is going to be your next build with this process?? Are you going to build something like a 2X N-20 Demon or a 4X version of The Javelin???

Nate, What is going to be your next build with this process?? Are you going to build something like a 2X N-20 Demon or a 4X version of The Javelin???
With this process, I am first going to test the current build and make sure everything holds together and works as planned (haven't had chance to get out and launch lately).

Once that is done, I am going to try a mass-reduced version of this (using two wraps of poster board for the tubes instead of three) and balsa fins; but maybe not before the "cicada killer" I described above: I am thinking of something like the old Optima: a large-ish D-powered low-and-slow rocket.

Nate, Here is the Green Hornet that I just finished. It is made with two sheets of poster board and some cardboard. I really like the way all three of these have turned out. This will be some great flying in the spring!!!
IMG_4656.JPG

Nate, Here is the Green Hornet that I just finished. It is made with two sheets of poster board and some cardboard. I really like the way all three of these have turned out. This will be some great flying in the spring!!!
View attachment 445870
Very nice rendition of the Hornet in green!

I just hope you don’t have a CATO when you launch that one!

(Kato)

A great big thanks goes out to both GlenP and banjonate!!! All three of my poster board rockets flew perfect!!! Thanks to both of you for your help and inspiration.
I just saw this (life been busy lately). Great to hear! It’s a good feeling when something you literally built from complete scratch goes a thousand feet in the air and comes back!

Well, here is the “final” finished test subject. Three 24mm stages. Industry standard 7-year old for scale.

Attachments

• CE5EB55D-AE57-4FA7-8C71-46705B56641F.jpeg
    CE5EB55D-AE57-4FA7-8C71-46705B56641F.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 17
Over on the Facebook groups Estes Model Rockets and Born Again Rocketeers, I had showed off a completely scratch-built, poster board rocket using no off-the-shelf "rocket parts." It was inspired by my desire to do a feasibility study of a 29mm-diameter Comanche 3, in turn inspired by a thread I found on a sub-forum elsewhere on this site dealing with folks' musings about a hypothetical "Comanche 3E".

With no negative aspersions on your project ( great job ) . . . let me say that the Estes Comanche 3 has the highest "failure to stage" prang rate of any multi-stage model rocket kit I have ever seen, in over 50 years in the Hobby. Often, the stages "pop apart" before ignition of the next motor can occur, resulting in a crash.

I suggest that you take a look at the Centuri "Pass-Port" Staging Method . . . It allows more time for ignition, by venting gas to slow stage separation. ( file below ).

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/kc-9.htm

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/centuri/cenKB-7/Centuri_Arrow_300_kb-7.pdf

Dave F.

Attachments

• PASS-PORT STAGING.JPG
    PASS-PORT STAGING.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1a.jpeg
    1a.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 1b.jpeg
    1b.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1c.jpeg
    1c.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
With no negative aspersions on your project ( great job ) . . . let me say that the Estes Comanche 3 has the highest "failure to stage" prang rate of any multi-stage model rocket kit I have ever seen, in over 50 years in the Hobby. Often, the stages "pop apart" before ignition of the next motor can occur, resulting in a crash.

I suggest that you take a look at the Centuri "Pass-Port" Staging Method . . . It allows more time for ignition, by venting gas to slow stage separation. ( file below ).

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/kc-9.htm

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/centuri/cenKB-7/Centuri_Arrow_300_kb-7.pdf

Dave F.
Thanks for the tip! Whenever I get a chance to launch this guy after I get moved from house to house and get a rocket building area set up, I will see if I can take that into account.

Tapping the hive mind here. Does anyone know who did the HPR version of a Comanche at Lucern? Sustainer was recovered behind the power lines towards town. I was busy and didn't get to follow up. Impressive flight!

Back