Inside diameter of U.S. Rockets 2.7" vs. BT-80

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcsalem

Reaction score
I'd like to know if the inside diameter of the USRockets 2.7" airframe matches the inside diameter of the Estes BT-80 (2.556")? The USRocket web site says that the inside diameter of these tubes is 2.6". Is that just rounded off or is it really that large?

I know the USR tubes are quiet a bit thicker but I'd like to be able to couple in airframe sections from other BT-80 sized rockets (e.g., Estes, PML, etc).

-- Jim

Originally posted by jcsalem
I'd like to know if the inside diameter of the USRockets 2.7" airframe matches the inside diameter of the Estes BT-80 (2.556")? The USRocket web site says that the inside diameter of these tubes is 2.6". Is that just rounded off or is it really that large?

I know the USR tubes are quiet a bit thicker but I'd like to be able to couple in airframe sections from other BT-80 sized rockets (e.g., Estes, PML, etc).

-- Jim

I would say that the numbers from USR are pretty accurate. They are a bit larger than LOC 2.56 tubing (& nose cones for that matter), which would mean that they're bigger than BT-80. That slight increase in diameter allows USR to sell the Warp 3 kit, which has 3 29mm motor tubes in it. I cannot fit 3 tubes (without distorting the tubes anyway) into a LOC 2.56 airframe.

HTH,

Here's the word from Jerry Irvine:

"2.60 ID. It fits BT-80 nose cones loosely.

Our couplers are loose inside or you can apply 3 layers of tape to an Estes coupler.

2.70 OD
"

Lance wrote:

> [USR 2.7" tubes] are a bit larger than LOC
> 2.56 tubing (& nose cones for that matter),
> which would mean that they're bigger than
> BT-80. That slight increase in diameter allows
> USR to sell the Warp 3 kit, which has 3 29mm
> motor tubes in it. I cannot fit 3 tubes
> (without distorting the tubes anyway) into a
> LOC 2.56 airframe.

You should be able to get 3 LOC or TT 29mm tubes
into a LOC2.6" tube with very little distortion.
The thicker-walled 29mm MMT from PML and Giant
Leap are a different story. You'd about have
to form the airframe into a triangle :)

Doug

Latest posts

Back