Inquiry regarding interstage rods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
I have a rocket that I want to convert into a sustainer for a two-stage project.

I will need interstage rods to complete this project.

I need to install three interstage tubes in the sustainer, to accept interstage guide rods from the booster.

I do not want them to be excessively long that they could cause issues with clean staging, but I don't want them short enough that issues could arise during boost/coast.

Does anyone have a idea for length-diameter ratios? I think I will use 3/4" to 1" diameter rods (this is a 7.5" diameter project). Will also shoot for 1/16" diameter reduction in the rods to allow 1/32" clearance around the rods to prevent binding.

I have some ideas on how to retrofit my existing rocket to act as the sustainer without excessive modification, but the recommended length of the interstage guide tubes will have an impact on that.

Appreciate any input anyone might be able to provide.

Thanks!
Mike Walsh

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm watching for responses. And wondering what you're using for rods and how those will be attached to the booster.

Back