Quantcast

Input on nose cone color

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

PokerJones

Reaction score
This project is almost done. I have the vinyl body wrap from Mark at stickershock23, I have the fins painted black and now on to the nose cone. I'm leaning towards black but the purple looks sweet and I could live with the white...what do guys think?

White, purple or black?

Screenshot (3).jpg

Screenshot (4).jpg

Screenshot (6).jpg

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I prefer purple, but white appears to work best with the flame color fade. Start with white, if you don't like it go over with purple, if you don't like that give it a coat of black.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm feeling "not black" also. Would you be up for trying white with a fade to that pink or light purple around the base where it meets the airframe ? The wrap is awesome !

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I prefer purple, but white appears to work best with the flame color fade. Start with white, if you don't like it go over with purple, if you don't like that give it a coat of black.
THIS!!!!

AfterBurners

Reaction score
plus 1 it fades into the design better.

Banzai88

Lvl 1,Wallet....Destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Maxter

Reaction score
Purple. Because everyone does white, or black.

modeltrains

Reaction score
Here's a thought - is it possible to paint nose cone itself with a fade?
White matching decal sounds good. Purple looks good.
Would it be possible to have cone white overall then airbrush purple at tip fading to white about 1/3 of the way back?
I dunno, the more I think about that, overall white might be better.

AfterBurners

Reaction score
Here's a thought - is it possible to paint nose cone itself with a fade?
White matching decal sounds good. Purple looks good.
Would it be possible to have cone white overall then airbrush purple at tip fading to white about 1/3 of the way back?
I dunno, the more I think about that, overall white might be better.
You could easily fade the nose as you described using rattle cans. I do it all the time. The secret is do it all at once. top coats all while they are fairly wet with maybe 10 minutes of tack time between each and then shoot the clear on afterwards waiting maybe 30-45 minutes...

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Purple....with small purple accent of some type [stripe-tip- design] on fins to "balance" everything out.

pyrobob

Reaction score
I think the white flows better with the green flames, purple, and black scheme.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
Saayy. That's a nice rocket. I have something like that in mind my self. You got a sim file I can gander at?

Purple...If you can get it to match the vinyl. If the color is off, it may look out of place. Black or white will match much easier.

PokerJones

Reaction score
Saayy. That's a nice rocket. I have something like that in mind my self. You got a sim file I can gander at?

Purple...If you can get it to match the vinyl. If the color is off, it may look out of place. Black or white will match much easier.
That was the problem I was having with the purple, finding a good match. Fortunately there are a few different shades of purple on the wrap so I should be able to find something close if I decide on that color. I will more than likely leave it white for now, I can always change it later.

Here is the ORK file.

View attachment 7.51.ork

grouch

Reaction score
I am not a fan of black nose cones, they get too hot. Personally, I'd do the white due to the color match issue but the purple does look very nice. Love the multi-fin look.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
I used yellow vinyl and yellow paint on Danger Close and there is a visible difference, but not that big of a deal. Like you say, there are several shades of purple there. Even still, a paint shop can probably get pretty darn close.

Or try something different:
https://www.paintwithpearl.com/shop-custom-paint/custom-paint-colors/purples/
I was gonna use some of their greens and blacks but decided on Duplicolor metallic so I can't say how they work.

Oh, and thanks for the file.

Mikey D

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just a thought.
Paint it white.
Pour some purple on the tip and let it run down a ways and use a Q tip or paper towel rolled to a point to soak up the excess blob at the end of the runs.
I think that would blend in pretty good.

PokerJones

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the input on this project. I am going to go with a purple to white fade on the nose cone, i'll post some pics when it's finished.