Inmates’ to ‘Incarcerated Person’

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
most of the prisons are private corporations. they must maintain a high occupancy rate just like a hotel/motel.

"Guest of the state" is fantastic, that got me. 🤣
We could go even further than that. One of the guys I used to work with years ago was of Mexican descent. He often claimed that he was the black sheep of his family.
He was the only one that did not live in a "gated community."
Texas State Pen, San Quentin, Polk Correctional....

They aren't "convicts" until they've been convicted, so you need some other name while they're being held pre-trial.
I like to call them "criminals". The chance of an "innocent" person being locked up is excruciatingly low. Of course that statistic won't matter to the one or two innocent ones being locked up but they'll probably just have to take one for the team in the name of science.

I like to call them "criminals". The chance of an "innocent" person being locked up is excruciatingly low. Of course that statistic won't matter to the one or two innocent ones being locked up but they'll probably just have to take one for the team in the name of science.
People get detained in local jails for months before trial and potential conviction. They are, at worst, alleged criminals. You're talking about assuming guilt, which is an attitude we need less of both in this context and in our daily human interactions.

so, if I were a guard in New York State (i'm not) and called them a convict, which is technically correct, would my first amendment rights make her law irrelevant? After all, I'm not slandering the convict, merely pointing out the fact they've been convicted of something illegal by their peers

Gov. Kathy Hochul (New York) acted Monday to help the people getting arrested feel better about themselves.
https://nypost.com/2022/08/08/kathy...tm_medium=syndicated&utm_campaign=partnerfeed
Isn't Incarcerated person just as bad? Shouldn't it be "Guest of the state?"
The way we speak of and think about individuals is important, especially in environments where people are dehumanized and downtrodden. Prison is one such environment so I can see why this is a good thing, even though the discussion here spins it as an out-of-touch measure with no real effect.

While one would be correct in pointing out that this measure represents only a tiny fraction of the work needed to curb the ugly brutality of the criminal justice system, every great journey begins with a single footstep, and consists of many other small footsteps linked up to create something both impressive and meaningful.

so, if I were a guard in New York State (i'm not) and called them a convict, which is technically correct, would my first amendment rights make her law irrelevant? After all, I'm not slandering the convict, merely pointing out the fact they've been convicted of something illegal by their peers
My guess is that the law mainly applies to official documents, records, and bills prepared by the State. I don’t believe an off-the-cuff word choice made by a low-level officer would be applicable, but I could be wrong. If it were, that would be an excellent thing to be taken up by the courts.

Such laws have been passed before, especially regarding the treadmill of terms for marginalized communities like the disabled. Acts of legislative bodies concerning such populations have been amended several times to make use of more sensitive language and remove terms that have acquired pejorative meanings.

Just start calling them convicts. Technically they are and being technically right is the best kind of right.

The "convicts" are not going to like that. They are a special lot. Though there are subtle differences depending on the location and composition, there are basically three types of prison incarcerated individuals. There are convicts, inmates and jits. Inmates are your run of the mill residents. They could be a lifer, but are frequently first time and or low time. They "generally" get along fine without causing "too" many problems. There are the jits. Young, frequently aggressive, no common sense, are prone to acting out, and such. The problem children. Then there are the cons, or convicts. They may actually dispute who actually runs the prison....them or the administration. They are politically savvy in the prison environment. Some just mind their own business, and others may be seen as the godfather with associated . In general, they do not cause any problems.

How about low-rent gated community dwellers?
The idea is to be clear and accurate with the dictionary definition, sensitive with connotation, and convenient to say/write. “Incarcerated person” hits all those, I see no reason to resort to this kind of mocking unless your intent is to mock or show contempt to a valid idea.

The idea is to be clear and accurate with the dictionary definition, sensitive with connotation, and convenient to say/write. “Incarcerated person” hits all those, I see no reason to resort to this kind of mocking unless your intent is to mock or show contempt to a valid idea.
It was a joke. Welcome to my ignore list!

Thomas Jefferson said he would rather a thousand guilty men go free than one innocent man be locked up.

In what universe is "Incarcerated person" convenient to say or write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back