InkJet Decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStarStar

Reaction score
Hey, I would like to print out some custom decals, etc. I have whipped up on my Broderbund Print Shop.

What's the best way to do this on a standard HP 2175 inkjet scanner-printer? What kind of paper do I need? Do I need different ink tanks or will the normal ones work?

Will the printed decals smear or are they prettty solid? Do they need to be "fixed" or clear coated??

Anybody with expertise in this area, would be appreciated. Thanx. ;)

you will need inkjet decal paper, it is availiable in clear and white
the decal will have to be sealed prior to applying with whatever the manufacture recommends or the water will ruin them

two suppliers are Micromark and Bel and there are many others

I also use an HP printer and have had good results with Bel paper
Bel recommends krylon clear for a sealer.

it's the only brand I have experience with

Originally posted by stymye

I also use an HP printer and have had good results with Bel paper
Bel recommends krylon clear for a sealer.

it's the only brand I have experience with

Same story... I have used Bel paper with a Dell all-in-one inkjet printer, copier, scanner, fax (it looks exactly like the Lexmark printer so that's who probably makes it for them).

Set print quality for best (photo).

Krylon clear acrylic sealer. I have found that it takes several coats to seal. I was putting them on way too lightly at first but I usually use three coats to be sure. Print something to use as a test throw away decal so that when you put it in water, if the ink runs, go back and give the sheet another coat.

Bel's decals are kind of thick and I've heard that the Micro-Mark decal paper is thinner but I have no experience with them.

Bel Decal Company

I use clear Ace to coat them with. One light coat, let dry for fifteen minutes then three or four heavier coats and let dry overnight.

hobby town stores stock decal paper.
I also get inkjet decal paper from tower hobbies (www.towerhobbies.com) they sell the Testor's brand.

I have an hp 3650 and it lets me adjust the volume of ink that is dispensed. I set it a little heavier than normal for decals.

I have used Krylon Clear 1301, Testor's Dullcote and Testor's decal bonder all with great results.

I put 4 to 5 light coats of clear over my decals and let them dry for a day before I apply them.

just be sure you get decal paper designed for inkjet printers.

Back