Initiator a bargin or not?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emp1214

Reaction score
I probably all ready know the answer but I thought I would seek advice from everyone first.

My local Hobby Lobby has a Initiator starter kit w/launch pad and controller but states no motors for the price of $63 bucks marked down from $189. I'm a BAR after 20yrs and would like to jump back into the mid power range so what I would like to know is is this a deal?

What do you think?

Input welcome!:)

It's a GREAT deal!
the initiator is a marvelous rocket, well worth 60 bucks on it's own.
and the mantis pad works fine for rockets that size and the controller works fine too.

here's a picture of mine on an F20-4W:

Thanks for the replies!

I thought it was a good deal. This is pay day week so if it is still there I will make it mine.

The other question I have is would you build the Initiator stock or is there anything you would do to improve the build?

build it stock, to the plans.

the rocket is good.

I have not heard that the pad is rock-solid awesome but it will certainly work. the controller is OK too.

we paid $56 ? for the initiator kit, so $63 for the pad & controller too is a great deal.

we flew our initiator on saturday on an E18-4. lotsa noise, good flight, ejection right at apogee, chute tangled though so it came down hard and stuck in the mud. no damage!! gotta love those aerotech fins!

Watch out for the leg holders on the pad. They are very brittle.

I got a starter set with reloads for $70, but this is still a good deal.

Go for it! I'm building my second Initiator and while the pad and controller aren't great, they will last you a long time if you take care of them. I've said this before, I think the AT Initiator is to mid-power what the Estes Alpha is to model rocketry -- everyone should have at least one!

Here is a very minimal review (with pictures) of the Initiator I built.

63 bucks is a pretty good deal for the rocket, pad, and controller. The Initiator is a good starter rocket for mid power. Very sturdy, easy to build, and can take some abuse. For lots of info on it, and many, many others be sure to check out www.rocketreviews.com .

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!

That's an awesome deal! Get it and also look into a 29mm40-120 RMS casing. It's a perfect combo. The Initiator is beautiful on an F40 in that case. Man, great find! Attached is a shot of my Initiator on an F40 - my second midpower flight. Welcome to midpower, and welcome to the forum!

Loopy

Originally posted by Loopy
Get it and also look into a 29mm40-120 RMS casing. It's a perfect combo. The Initiator is beautiful on an F40 in that case.
Loopy

I agree that is a great motor for the Initiator and also the F20 SU. Both will get you over 1,000 feet depending on how you build the kit.

For my second mid-power I originally had been thinking of either a Mustang or a Loc Graduator...however lately I've been changing my mind, and thinking instead I might want to get the full initiator starter set, so that I get the 12 volt controller, the mantis launch pad, and the RMS casing along with the rocket all as one kit, along with instructions on how to do re-loadable motors.

However, most of the large chains are saying 'OUT OF STOCK' now, and I can't go to Hobby Lobby, since I live on the left coast. Red Arrow still has initiator starter sets, but the re-loadable version of their starter set is $199 :eek:.

Anyone know anyone online or in California who is selling the re-loadable starter set for less than this?

Thanks!

You saved me 20 bucks :)

And now, having just about doubled my B.A.R. expenses to-date in one single aquisition, I am done with rocket-purchasing for quite some time :eek:

Originally posted by NewEntity1
I am done with rocket-purchasing for quite some time :eek:

Yeah...that's what alluvem say! Sure.......and my name's Bob! ;)

Jason

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and all the input.

I'm excited about getting back to poking holes in the clouds again. It has been a long time and I now have three boys that I'm introducing to the hobby so it is going to be a blast :D . Having the boys involved has been a plus in getting the wife to agree to let go of a little extra money, she has also let us put a large desk in the family room to allow us to do our construction on, how cool is that.

I've been lurking here for a while trying to get updated on things. One thing I can say is this fourm is awsome and I sure wish we had something like this back when I first started out.

Thanks again for all the help!

Stop today to pick up the Initiator starter kit for $63 bucks and low and be hold there it was on a endcap marked down again to $37 bucks. Needless to say I snatched up so quick it would have made your head spin and ran for the register so fast you would have thought my behind was on fire. Lady luck was smilling on me today and it was about time she thru some my way. :D

Originally posted by emp1214
Stop today to pick up the Initiator starter kit for $63 bucks and low and be hold there it was on a endcap marked down again to $37 bucks.
You better go buy yourself a lottery ticket immediately! :D

Back