Initial Investment for Hybrids?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35735

Reaction score
Hello all! For those of you out there with hybrid experience, how much would it roughly cost to get started flying Is or Js if your club does not have any of the ground support equipment? I did a little bit of poking around online but I was still unsure. It seems as though there are not very many suppliers and I was unsure what equipment was necessary for some of the different products on the market. Looking to start with something easy-to-use and (relatively) cost effective, if there is such a thing with hybrids lol. I always enjoy working on 'interesting' projects to challenge myself and keep the hobby interesting, investing in my first hybrid was just an idea I was toying around with in my head. Any opinions on how much it'd set me back or if it would be worth it?

I would dare to guess there is a lot of GSE sitting in club hands that was aquired during the fight with the feds for AP. I know we have some still used by only two or three members at most. The bloom is off the rose so to speak, as the market contracted severely after the win and Cez came on line from Canada. We still have a dearth of commercial motor makers, but the truth is, it's easier to fly stuff that is inert and easily transported/stored. There is a lot of mental bubblegum in making the fuel 'grains', but the real fun is in the machining the injector and associated parts. The buzz off the rail is exciting and different from any other exhaust sound. Put an ad out for this stuff and you may be swamped. I'm excited b/c somebody posted they were going to fly hybrids at LDRS 40! Good hunting!

If you are not in a hurry, you can do a full GSE with a 20 lb tank for around $300-400 all in (im talking about everything) valves, hoses, fittings relays tanks etc. buying much of the supplies used (valves, tanks etc) Where are you located? Anyone near you that launches hybrids? I launch at lucerne (Southern California)

I picked up a turnkey GSE system from a member before Covid, minus tank, for IIRC about $200. For a while, getting a tank in this area was pretty much impossible, but that has changed so now it is no big deal.

You might want to post on the For Sale forum that you are looking for a complete GSE system and see if any offers come up.

What you need depends on the type of motor you intend to fly. If it is a monotube, you'll be filling at the pad. Fill and dump solinoid valves and plumbing; control box and wiring. If you are going to fly pre-filled tanks (DOT rated transport tanks typically made for CO2 but cleaned and repurposed to N2O) then mostly you need some suitable plumbing and valves, and a scale. You'll fill those at the field, then carry them out to the launcher just like you would a solid. I think. I haven't flown one of those.

Some hybrid designs require an additional little oxygen tank, for pyroless ignition purposes.

So unlike solids, what you need depends on what you intend to burn. Perhaps ask what you local club(s) might have, and see if they'd bring it out if you brought a tank. Then procure your own filled tank (rental or purchase, depending on your local gas supplier(s). But possibly configured a bit differently than usual for dip tube and flow restriction (depending on the size hybrid flight tank you plan to fill). Others can give good advice on tanks and the configuration you want to specify for them.

Note, the N2O supply tank needs to have a current inspection, or it would need to be reinspected before anyone will fill it. So if you are tempted to get a used tank, check for when the inspection expired or will expire. If you rent a tank, that's not your problem.

Gerald

If you are going to fly pre-filled tanks...
AFAIK Aerotech had the only certified motors like this and they are long OOP. Contrail is the only hybrid vendor still in active development although Hypertek (the type that needs the GOX) still makes some stuff for a limited market.

Back