Information about starting a new rocketry club

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


New Member
Jan 21, 2017
Reaction score
Hello forum - I have been trying to get in touch with UKRA to get more information about starting a club south. Still not very/quick responses so far.

I was wondering if any of you have the experience in that and could give me more information.

What do I need to know ? Pretty much everything :

1- What are the legal requirements ?
2- Location requirements ?
3- Insurance ?
4- Certification mechanisms ?
5- Special requirements ?

Thank you :)
Hi. I'm chair of FOG in South Wales. Perhaps I can help?

Legal requirements. As a minimum you need landowners permission for the range, including any downrange areas where rockets may drift. Its a good idea to inform your local police station so that they know what's going on.

Airspace is a big issue in the southern UK. You cannot locate the club within 5 miles of an airfield or launch into controlled airspace. You can launch into uncontrolled airspace and it is prudent to issue a NOTAM (instructions are on the UKRA website).
Its sensible, but not a legal requirement, to locate your club somewhere that is inaccessible to the public such as a private farm. It can be very inconvenient if you're always having to stop for people walking through the range. It can be dangerous to them if you can't see them coming.

Insurance. BMFA insure individuals. At FOG we insist that everyone if a BMFA member. As the organiser of the launch you are liable for whatever happens that falls outside the scope of individual insurance. As an example, of someone is injured at your launch you could be held liable. BMFA will insure a club if it is affiliated to the BMFA. To do this it must have a committee, officers, constitrution and at least 5 members who join BMFA through the club. This can be hard for a new club but it saves your persoanl liability.

Certification. If you want to do certification then you need UKRA qualified RSO. FOG doesn't do UKRA certification or follow their safety code. We found it impractical to get sufficient RSO qualified so we fly according to the BMFA code and have a local RSO scheme.

Special Requirements. Stuff that we've found useful are a website, FaceBook page, access to good met forecasts so you can decide whether to cancel events if the weather is poor. A good email list is useful for announcing news and changes of plan. If you want to talk further then PM me.

Thanks for answering this Phil. I got your email nolen and have been a bit busy with work. Was trying to find someone to work through it with you. One key consideration is what sort of rockets you want to fly? Modroc or HPR?
Hi nolen, I've been involved in UK rocketry for some years and have been looking for a site in the south of England for some time. Do you have a site in mind?
Hi nolen, I've been involved in UK rocketry for some years and have been looking for a site in the south of England for some time. Do you have a site in mind?

Likewise. I'm usually London based, often in Berkshire also - interested in discussing further. PM me if you think I can be of help.