Infographic: Dog Characteristics (aka doggie data)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
I don't know if I agree with the dumb/smart ratings because some of the dogs rated "dumb" are rated "very intelligent" if you look them up individually. Looking at the database upon which this infographic is based (linked below), "dumb/smart" is based upon relative trainability, but that can be greatly affected by a breed's personality characteristics - example: very clever, but not especially obedient.

Click on image for full size:

IIB_Best-In-Show_1276x2.png

The database:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l_HfF5EaN-QgnLc2UYdCc7L2CVrk0p3VdGB1godOyhk/edit#gid=10

I usually like charts but I don’t like that one. Using the word “dumb” in a chart is ... not intelligent.

What I mean of course is that charts are usually made of lines which act as rulers for representing countable or measurable quantities. You just can't count "dumbness". No offense to the author. Maybe it's a half-joke I don't get. 🐶 I'll just go now.

Last edited:
If the six things listed on the left get merged to turn into their data score, this seems like it's an exercise in taking someone's arbitrary personal preferences and dressing it up to look like objective data by making a pretty chart.
Also, by those six categories the best possible dog is a laptop computer.

Not a very good comparison chart though I did see a few in the overated category that definitely belong there. The French Bulldog being one of them, a coworker of mine breeds them (an expensive process) and my sister in law has one, $3k for a "cheap" one and my friend sells a few at over $6k, for a dog that cant handle hot or cold temps....

P.S. found this article a bit after replying to this thread and found it humorous..
https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/03/30/25974515/your-french-bulldog-is-an-abomination

Last edited:
We just had our very first litter of pups. Born on May 6th. 5 Chocolate and 2 Yellow labs. The male Yellow has green eyes and chocolate dipped rear legs. My Vet said that in 20 years had never seen that. And we sold them for 600 bucks:(

My Great Dane was was the smartest dog I ever had.
I miss her :(

I had a friend buy two Great Dane puppies.
I told her she was going to have to hire a stable boy to keep the yard clear.
Young they were cute, as adults they were a pain, nobody likes a 150 pound lap dog.

I like how they listed the dogs that are cheapest to own over their lifetime without trying to average the lifespan of all dogs.
A dog that only lives six years is cheaper to own than one that lives 20??? Thank you Captain Obvious...

Okay, there's Border Collie but I don't find Standard Collie; they are not the same thing.

did anyone find the cat on the chart?!
According to their graphic key, cats, (domestic cats) are non-sporting and clever; I'll give my assessment of their assessment thusly, humanity is blessed that cats do not have thumbs.

The Air Force Just Tested "Robot Dogs" For Use In Base Security
The quadrupedal robots secured the perimeter of a base during a recent test of the USAF's Advanced Battle Management System.
SEPTEMBER 7, 2020

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...st-tested-robot-dogs-for-use-in-base-security
They look like they were cast straight from an episode of Black Mirror, and eventually, their mission could be similar in some ways, but for now, robot dogs are stretching their legs in the big test exercise environment for the United States Air Force.

Last week, the U.S. Air Force hosted the second demonstration of its new Advanced Battle Management System (ABMS), a digital battle network system designed to collect, process, and share data among U.S. and allied forces in real-time. The ABMS has already undergone several tests, including a live-fire exercise earlier this year conducted with data and communications provided, in part, by SpaceX Starlink satellites.

The highlight of last week’s demonstration was the use of multiple distributed sensors to detect and shoot down mock Russian cruise missiles. The system involves 5G and 4G networks, cloud computing systems, and AI systems to provide an unprecedented level of situational awareness and course of action decision making. ABMS is a top modernization priority for the Department of the Air Force, which is dedicated $3.3 billion over five years to develop and deploy the architecture and related systems. Senior Air Force leaders cite the system as one of the most pressing capabilities for success in several key theaters of operations.

This latest ABMS demonstration was described as being one of the largest joint experiments in recent history, involving 65 government teams from every service including the Coast Guard, 35 separate military platforms, and 70 different industry partners. The exercise spanned 30 different geographic locations and four national test ranges.

32535fsd.jpg

What I mean of course is that charts are usually made of lines which act as rulers for representing countable or measurable quantities. You just can't count "dumbness". No offense to the author. Maybe it's a half-joke I don't get. 🐶 I'll just go now.

As long as we're talking about non-measurable things, I just realized that this data chart completely ignores friendliness. That explains why dachshunds get such a high rating--I think I've met one dachshund in my life that wasn't a mean SOB. (see what I did there?)

We adopted a greyhound years ago and inherited a shih tzu two years ago. I would take a greyhound again in a heartbeat. The greyhound sure wasn't smart*, but he was great to be around. We also called him the Scotchguard dog because he was so easy to keep clean. No matter how muddy or sandy he was, you just had to let him dry out and a few pats would drop all of the dirt on the ground.

The shih tzu is a pain in the butt, particularly because she gets ideas into her head and won't let them go. For example, she decided a while back that she couldn't eat food out of a dish. Wouldn't eat until we put the food on a mat on the floor. I tried to break her of that once and she ignored food in the dish for *five days* straight. She has all kinds of other rules too, some of which change like Calvinball.

* Fun fact: greyhounds have little recesses in their skulls that their ears fold back into so that their ears sit flush with the top of the head when they're running. It turns out that minor improvements in the drag coefficient were worth the loss of braincase capacity.

Newfie!!! A 200 pound ball of fur and slobber that is the biggest couch potato out there but at the same time, is one of the best swimmers. Part dog, part duck, all lazy.

As long as we're talking about non-measurable things, I just realized that this data chart completely ignores friendliness. That explains why dachshunds get such a high rating--I think I've met one dachshund in my life that wasn't a mean SOB. (see what I did there?)

We adopted a greyhound years ago and inherited a shih tzu two years ago. I would take a greyhound again in a heartbeat. The greyhound sure wasn't smart*, but he was great to be around. We also called him the Scotchguard dog because he was so easy to keep clean. No matter how muddy or sandy he was, you just had to let him dry out and a few pats would drop all of the dirt on the ground.

The shih tzu is a pain in the butt, particularly because she gets ideas into her head and won't let them go. For example, she decided a while back that she couldn't eat food out of a dish. Wouldn't eat until we put the food on a mat on the floor. I tried to break her of that once and she ignored food in the dish for *five days* straight. She has all kinds of other rules too, some of which change like Calvinball.

* Fun fact: greyhounds have little recesses in their skulls that their ears fold back into so that their ears sit flush with the top of the head when they're running. It turns out that minor improvements in the drag coefficient were worth the loss of braincase capacity.
A Dachshund's love, like a pimp's, is different than that of a square. They are exceedingly loyal to their owners and often need time to determine if they like you. Once they decide that you are cool, they are some of the sweetest cuddle bugs that you will ever find.0202201746.jpg

The Air Force Just Tested "Robot Dogs" For Use In Base Security

I never watched the show but that post reminds me that a long time ago I found this at a yard sale:

3954084903_329e6234b6_z.jpg

bsg-daggit-1978.jpg

muffet battlestar galactica.jpg

Back