• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Info, Photos, And Scans (W/Ruler) Of The Estes Red Nova (7266)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Due to the increase in cost to ship things to China, my Red Nova isn't going to be arriving anytime soon. Still, I want to sim this kit up. I've downloaded the instructions, but I need details about the kit.

According to the part number, it appears that the body tube is an 18" long BT-60. However, the part number for the motor tube isn't in the databases I checked. I presume it's a 2.75" long piece of BT-50, but it could be something else. So, I need confirmation on the dimensions of it. I could also use some measurements on the Engine Block, Retainer Ring, the wood strip, the thickness of the fins, the length launch lug (instructions give it as a 3/16" lug, so I've got that info), and lots of info about that nosecone. I've yet to see a really clear image of the nosecone from the front. It appears to have a step from the first conic section to the next section, but I can't be sure, so photos and measurements would really help me here.

Of course, I also need scans of the fins and decals (w/a ruler for scale) to make this sim possible.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
Good Morning!

I have a couple of these actually, (New, unbuilt) so I would be willing to open and get you the info you want.

Unfortuantely it might take me a couple days as they are in storage and I dont hve time to dig them out.

So if you dont get what need by the weekend, I'll see what I can do

[email protected] to get me directly

Cheers,

Jeff

Due to the increase in cost to ship things to China, my Red Nova isn't going to be arriving anytime soon. Still, I want to sim this kit up. I've downloaded the instructions, but I need details about the kit.

According to the part number, it appears that the body tube is an 18" long BT-60. However, the part number for the motor tube isn't in the databases I checked. I presume it's a 2.75" long piece of BT-50, but it could be something else. So, I need confirmation on the dimensions of it. I could also use some measurements on the Engine Block, Retainer Ring, the wood strip, the thickness of the fins, the length launch lug (instructions give it as a 3/16" lug, so I've got that info), and lots of info about that nosecone. I've yet to see a really clear image of the nosecone from the front. It appears to have a step from the first conic section to the next section, but I can't be sure, so photos and measurements would really help me here.

Of course, I also need scans of the fins and decals (w/a ruler for scale) to make this sim possible.

Thanks!
Jim
Jim - did you find what you were looking for on the Red Nova? I always scan my fins, header card, decals, etc., before building. I have one in the build bin that I haven’t started yet. I could put it at the front of the line if you are still looking for that stuff. Just let me know.

@Starfire73 Sorry... No I haven't. Yes, I still could use the scans.

@Hyak Sorry, didn't mean to blow you off... Like my answer to Starfire73, I could still use them. May 10, when you posted, I was still recovering from the online teaching and lesson planning I was having to do with the lockdown. Each class took over 2 hours to lesson plan (and I have 14 classes that I had to do the work on).

Thanks!
Jim
Motor tube is 3” long, 24 mm dia.
Wood strip is 1/8” square, 18” long
Launch lug is 2” long, 3/16”
Engine Hook retainer ring is 1/2” long
Engine block is 1/4” long
Fin thickness appears to be 3/32”

I'm don't know what file types you prefer, so I included a PDF and a JPG

Attachments

• Red Nova Decal Scan 600 dpi.jpg
    Red Nova Decal Scan 600 dpi.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Red Nova Decal Scan 600 dpi.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Red Nova Fin Pattern.jpg
    Red Nova Fin Pattern.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Red Nova Fin Pattern.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for those!

To answer your question, .jpgs are a high loss compression that introduce artifacts in single color images. They're fine for photos of people and things found "in the world", but not useful for documenting decals, etc. Thanks for having the forethought to include the .pdf files.

Thanks again!
Jim

I
Thanks for those!

To answer your question, .jpgs are a high loss compression that introduce artifacts in single color images. They're fine for photos of people and things found "in the world", but not useful for documenting decals, etc. Thanks for having the forethought to include the .pdf files.

Thanks again!
Jim
No problem. I used to like to scan in TIFF, but my newest scanner software won't save it in that format.

I hope this helps with the nose cone. I couldn't think of how else to do it. I might have to diagram the nose cone since the photos don’t give accurate measurement references due to camera angle and perspective.

Attachments

• IMG_6251.jpg
    IMG_6251.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6252.jpg
    IMG_6252.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6253.jpg
    IMG_6253.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6254.jpg
    IMG_6254.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6255.jpg
    IMG_6255.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6256.jpg
    IMG_6256.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
By the way, I just listened to the May 2020 episode of The Model Rocket Show the other day. The show which you were a guest on. You did a good job on the show.

Last edited:
Back