• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Info on the new Der Big Red Max (9721)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely missing a few decals. Guess they did become PC..... and did the guy in the video really say decAl?
I think it is missing a few, I don't like this style of decal anyway... I ALWAYS end up with air underneath. Give me vinyl or waterslide anytime. I'm going to order from Stickershock, just not sure if I'm staying true to Red Max or going a different route. I think the "Originals" that Mark has have all the original decals.

Definitely missing a few decals. Guess they did become PC..... and did the guy in the video really say decAl?
While it is disappointing that they did not include all of the decals, it is totally off the wall to claim that this is "PC." How is omitting "Top Secret" in any way "PC"? The decals included the balkenkreuz (which is a Nazi-specific), and "Mitt Grabben" and "Nicht Stompin" is faux German.

Looking for some confirmation... Jim Bassham sent me photos of the instructions, tubes, and the fins. I was told by John Boren (JumpJet (the designer of the kit)) that it was a true 3" upscale of the DRM. By my math, that has the body tube at 15.577". The photo (with ruler) appears to have it at 15 3/8" long. The photo of the motor tube appears to have it at 4 5/8". Could someone double check the figures on those? I also need a good scan of the fins (preferably glued together) with a ruler at the root edge.

Thanks!

The balkenkreuz dates back to towards the end of WW I.
There was a narrower version of the Balkenkreuz that was used briefly at the end of WW I, but it was distinctly different than the wider version that was used during the Nazi era (which is the version used on the Der Red Max).

So, if Estes really was trying to be PC, they would have omitted the Balkenkruez. Omitting the words "Top Secret" or fake German words (and even just one set of those words) is not at all being "PC." It was probably that Estes was trying to squeeze the decals onto sheets of a certain dimension.

Oh, it's clearly a cost saving move, I just don't buy that one symbol being particularly Nazi associated.

Looking for some confirmation... Jim Bassham sent me photos of the instructions, tubes, and the fins. I was told by John Boren (JumpJet (the designer of the kit)) that it was a true 3" upscale of the DRM. By my math, that has the body tube at 15.577". The photo (with ruler) appears to have it at 15 3/8" long. The photo of the motor tube appears to have it at 4 5/8". Could someone double check the figures on those? I also need a good scan of the fins (preferably glued together) with a ruler at the root edge.

Thanks!

It's 2021 and K'Tesh Son of K'raig is still looking for that last millimeter. All's right with the world ! :)

Got mine today. Looking at stickershock and really would like to see one piece fins. Have to stay patient and not jump right into the kit

I wish that things were right in the world... I'm back to teaching online again. :(

But the Fek'lhr is in the details
Being retired has its moments - not all of them good - but the impact from the pandemic has been minimal. I have plenty of sympathy for all those dealing with it - hang in there, eventually things will improve.

On a happier note I can’t wait to run K’Tesh’s sim file through its paces!

Wonder if Estes is joining the Political Correctness movement by not adding any German decalings? They'll lose a lot of DRM fans for that, though I feel like they already have with the crappy fin job
Maybe you can elaborate on what about the decals (pronounced "cddgfhgfghdxhh") indicates that anyone has "become PC" or joined the "Political Correctness movement?"

Uh guys... I know everyone's having fun and all with this thread, but I *STILL* need the information if you want to see a sim of it.

You know, a good scan of a built up fin with a ruler. The photo I have is still in matrix, and I just don't all the time to do all the graphics work to put that together.

Confirmation on the length of the BTs (I have a clear set of photos showing the OD of the main body tube as 3.01", ID 2.93").

I also need the dimensions of the shock cord, confirmation on the cardstock parts thickness (guessing .050")), the length, OD and thickness of the green spacer ring.

I also need a few details about the exposed length of the NC, and its aft diameter (the photo I have has an angle and is a bit vague). The shoulder length and diameter (looks to be identical to the Big Daddy's, but as this is a new part, things might have changed).

A scan of the decals with a ruler would be appreciated. I've got photographs, but no ruler to confirm scale.

Thanks!

The body tube in my kit measures exactly 15.500 inches. The quarter inch launch lugs are 1.002 inches. The green motor mount ring is .500 inches. The motor mount tube is 4.507 inches. Nose cone shoulder diameter is 2.925 inches. Long shoulder length is 2.975 inches and short length is 1.500 inches.

As for the decals, honestly, the only thing self stick decals are good for is taking up space in a landfill. Mine went in the trash without even looking at them. Now I see they are not even complete. Yuck! All the more reason to have T.P. make an upscale set of the originals.

Already have a set of plywood fins and rings on order so I haven't opened that bag yet.

Andrew

Back