InFlight Goblin Clone kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulk

Reaction score
I recently won an InFlight kit in the TRF model of the month contest, and decided to put it at the head of the queue so I could review it.

I received the kit within a few days of the end of the contest, packed safely in an oversize box with peanuts. No, not real peanuts (though that does make me hungry thinking about it :) ). I had to leave for a camping the next day, and as soon as I returned, opened the package to look the kit over.

The kit was bagged with a professional looking color header card, listing skill level, dimensions, and recommended engines. Most of the parts were in separate smaller clear plastic paks, including a fin pak, cord/streamer/LL pak, streamer pak, and decal pak, and engine mount pak. Very nice.

The kit came with an 8 page assembly instruction manual, with numbered steps and illustrations; quite comprehensive. A separate instruction sheet came packaged with the kevlar cord, which apparently is an option, though was bagged inside my kit. Two very minor errors on the instruction sheet were listing a D12-3/D12-5 instead of the D12-5/D12-7 listed on the header card, and listing a 48" shock cord instead of the 36" cord included (which is plenty long when used with the kevlar). The instructions came complete with a fin marking guide & shock cord mount to cut out, if not using the kevlar, and a copy of the NAR safety code.

Part quality was high all around. Clean laser cut balsa fins, reasonably smooth balsa NC, and the smoothest white body tube I've ever seen. The spirals are almost invisible, a coat or 2 of primer will fill them in nicely. The red plastic streamer was from Hartle Engineering, and measured 2" x 54". While plenty long for this light kit, I'm tempted to try to pack a longer one simply for easier sight - after all, I *do* intend to put this up on a D12-7. I wonder how much can I fit in a BT-55? The only curious part was a 3/16" LL instead of the original 1/8". I emailed InFlight, and they felt a 3/16" is safer for a D powered model. I built it with a 1/8" LL for nostalgic reasons. Oh, a minor nit would be the engine hook, it was a bit on the thin side (though still much better than early quest hooks), and is not as springy as some I've used; I put a little pre-bend in it, and it should work just fine.

Assembly was straightforward, just followed the instructions, deviating where told for the optional kevlar kit. I didn't use the included fin marking guide, since I use one of those plastic estes pyramid style ones for 3/4FNC birds. The only step yet to complete is #14, paint & decals. The instructions do not mention any sort of filling or priming in the finishing step; my experience with yellow is that a white undercoat really helps. I've finished construction, and am filling & sanding, I'll finish this review and post pics when done.

This kit is very nicely put together, and is one of those numerous kits I wanted as a kid, but never got a chance to own. InFlight is beginning to fill a hole that was left when Thrustline put their business on hold. Let's hope they add more classic clone kits (an A-20 Demon would nicely round out the early 70s "D" powered fleet). This is their website : https://www.inflightrockets.com/

I've built this rocket as well, along with their Cherokee-D and Blue Bird Zero clones. InFlight is defintely going to be a company to keep an eye on....

Finishing was straight forward. The instructions simply state to paint with a base coat of yellow. I chose my usual method, which uses elmers wood filler on the fins and NC, followed by a few light coats of rustoleum sandable gray primer. I then painted the whole kit Krylon gloss white (old formula). Instead of the standard yellow that most Goblins are painted, I chose a fluorescent yellow, to aid visibility. My brother's Goblin has been this color for over 30 years, so it just seems 'right' to me. I then masked with 3M #2080 blue tape to finish the NC and 1 fin with Krylon gloss black. Since the fluorescent paint is flat, I put on a light coat of Krylon clear to help the decals adhere.

The decals were of good quality. The black color was a flat black, I'm guessing this is due to laser printer toner. I was tempted to put on a coat of Microscale Decal Film, but the instructions didn't call for it. No fear, the decals were plenty thick for positioning. They only needed 15 seconds in the water vs. the suggested 20-30 seconds. The edges of the decals laid down nice and flat, using Microscale decal setting solution. After drying for a day, I put on a coat of Future to protect the decals and give a moderate gloss. The photo doesn't really do it justice, the fluorescent yellow really glows!

First launch is scheduled for our clubs 50th estes anniversary launch in 2 weeks. Stay tuned to this bat channel! :)

GoblinLo.jpg

I've built this rocket as well, along with their Cherokee-D and Blue Bird Zero clones. InFlight is defintely going to be a company to keep an eye on....

I just received their Omega clone kit, which is a rocket I'd always wanted as a kid. The kit's still in the bag, but I agree that it appears to be of very high quality. I'm anxiously awaiting further releases from them too!

-- Chris

I also just received a Blue bird Zero and Omega. These are very nice kits. I have moved both to the top of the build pile also! I'm very impressed with the quality of parts and instructions. However, I must agree that the engine hooks seem pretty wimpy considering the high quality of the rest of the kit. If these builds go as well as they seem I will order a Goblin. If only they cloned the old Nike Ajax!! HINT! HINT!

The black color was a flat black, I'm guessing this is due to laser printer toner.

Paul, you are correct. I could apply a clear coat to the decals to make them shiny but I would rather have the builder make the decision as to what type of finish they choose to use.

I've updated the instructions per some of Paul's comments related to finishing.
Thanks Paul!

As for the motor hooks, I agree that they are a bit on the weak side. I am seeking out other sources for a better quality motor hook. When I find some I may need a few lab rats to test them for me. ;)

Thanks for the great feedback!
Your comments help us produce better kits.

If only they cloned the old Nike Ajax!! HINT! HINT!

Hint noted. :D

Thats like taking a ride on the way back machine. I remember building that kit when I was 12. Good times, good times.

Back