Indoor paint booth Q.'s

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjp

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for blowers and filters suitable for use in a small indoor paint booth?

This would be a small box booth, used mostly for airbrushing, constructed from a large cardboard box (about 4' x 3' x 2'). I have a filter mask, which I can use to avoid inhaling the fumes, but I'd like a filter capable of catching the particulates so I don't spread paint dust throughout the house.

How about using furnice filters ,and a box fan behind it,you can g et the filters real cheap at walmart.seems like you would want cheap throw aways!

dunno the exact answer but i do know you dont want to use a standard bathroom type fan or box fan.......enclosed areas with paint fumes and sparks DO NOT MIX!

Gonna have to agree with Rocketman on this one Vjp....Worked as a spray painter for a few years and I know that the exhaust motors were in fact,"Specially grounded motors" and had well protected electrical connections in the spray booth I spent 8 hours a day in. I myself have wanted to fabricate " some" sort of exhaust fan spray booth for my rockets, but unfortunately I ran into the same "unsafe" problem as well. In fact about the only thing I could come up with was designing a fan assembly that was "seperate" from the motor(motor being outside the actual booth, fan being inside) and turned by a fan belt. At least that way fumes wouldn't pass through the motor itself.

As for "filtering" the paint fumes, I think just safely exhausting them from the booth will be your biggest challenge. Hopefully you can push the fumes "outside". I was thinking about modifying a basement window to "pull" the fumes outside. That way I won't need to worry about filters at all. If all else fails do what I do, paint outside, run back inside. :) ......Good Luck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >>>=====> Fly High

Waiting for Stones to jump in with his design. BTW, you don't necessarily need to have the motor completely outside the airflow path. Others have used a brushless motor fan (a computer cooling fan or exhaust fan), and they're still posting, so I don't think anyone's blown up yet. ;)

Seriously, a brushless fan goes a long way towards eliminating potential sparks and should be reasonably safe.

Ok Kerm....jumping in. ;)
Pics of the booth I did are here. The thread with more info on paintbooths is here. As far as where you can get a brushless motor or something safe to run paint fumes through, computer fans would fit that bill but, I'm not sure you would get enough air movement with something that small. I have no info on where to search for one as I happened to get lucky with a fan from work that was being discarded. I would check with a local computer store and see what's the biggest thing they have.

Vince:
You have complete plans and specs. in the library section of Narhams. it was also published in sport rocketry a while back.

Blowers can be picked up locally at Grainger or on line www.grainger.com as well as any of the electrical supply houses.
I been using furnice filters for about 25 years without a problem, actually reusing filters by beating the overspray out in the step-well.
Here's a pic of my 3 x 3 x 7' home made unit. note the small square opeing above the OT body, that's the filter in the blower opening. The Drawn plan is much clearer in Tech-tip-011
Hope this helps

Thanks to everyone for the replies and the links. It's going to be a long while before it's warm enough again to paint in the garage, so this is a "must have" if I'm going to keep the peace with the wife.

I'll post some pics when I'm done!

Yes, I'm curious about how it goes for you too. I'm beginning to get quite a stockpile or nekid rockets here. The weather outside is just too cold :( So, I'm gonna have to make something here, or I'm gonna have one heck of a painting session this spring :)

Todd

Guy's:
I'm am turely a very very lucky man. I ask Mary last night if she could tell me if my basement paintbooths eliminated the "spray paint" odor from the house. To my surprize she said "most of the time I don't smell paint, but when you prime things I sure do" HUMM! I've been using the cheap K-mart sandable primers which has a very strong odor, so bear this in mind when placing your vents and hoses. Change or clean the filter after each use.
Hope this helps.

Back