Quantcast

Incongruent Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Incongruent

Reaction score
My first thread... Uh-Oh

I'll put down my jumbled thoughts and builds and ideas for builds etc. until loading the thread requires a hazmat fee.

Can a place on the internet become a Superfund site?

Incongruent

Reaction score
Image Test

You can get away with much more stuff if you call it a test, project, or experiment.
Got about 50 paint stir sticks once as a "school project".

What was this "School Project"?
A play.

I got a little carried off in the prop making part...
(It shoots rubber bands too!)

Rubber Band Gun.jpg

And thus forgot about the script part. :facepalm:

I made 2, the other currently resides in the principals office due to :kill:

It had a good life previously.
During rehearsals, many a person felt the sting of a 5 inch rubber band stretched out to 15.
A friend (cornered) who had experience with these forces raised a chair to block their face.
But I wasn't aiming at his face...
Further details will not be divulged.

Since these events, people have been under the impression that I'll sell them rubber band guns.
Which I would, if not for the incredibly ludicrous sale price offered of $5.
The material costs more than that.

This concludes the off topic image test.

Last edited:

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
I have no idea what's happening here and ... it's awesome!

Welcome!

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
This is either going to be the weirdest or coolest thread ever. I'm honestly not sure.

Incongruent

Reaction score
Drinking and posting...

Never a good idea.
:lol:

But you seem to be mistaken...
1) I'm 13
2) Are you saying I sound like a drunk person? If so, allow me to introduce you to the John Green quote: "Talking to a drunk person was like talking to an extremely brain damaged 3 year old.

Thank you for your constructive criticism of my writing skills, H_Rocket.

Unfortunately, I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or using drunk in a unorthodox way...

Here are some more samples of my writing:

This is a revised edition of what we must recite every Wednesday and Friday.
It also happens to be what I recite every Wednesday and Friday.

Cougar Creed
Accurate Version

We are North.
We Believe…
We are the stupidest, not because we say it,
But because we have proof for it.
We willingly deface all property and repeat our mistakes.
We never fail because we never try.
We make non-decent grades.
We choose to be bullies and cheats.
We despise ourselves.
We despise our school.
We bully others.
We are outcasts to our family, community, and world.
We steal from each other.
We believe in poor judgement.
We believe in bad grades.
We are North.

These go up all over the band hall on April Fools day.

How many musicians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Two. One can’t duet.

Why is music never counted late?
It always brings a note.

Why are musicians good farmers?
They're good with beets.

What did the urban musician put on his lawn?
A metro-gnome.

What kind of outlaws are musicians?
Band-Its.

What did the musician use to call his parents?
The Eu-Phone-ium

What does a musician use to open a door?
Their music. It has all the keys.

Why did the tuba go to the band director's office?
He was in treble.

Why is it easy to play below middle C?
It’s bass-ic.

Why aren’t blind people good musicians?
They can’t C.

Why don’t musicians put their music on their head?
Because if they did, they'd be under a rest.

What does a musician use to catch fish?
A clari-net.

Why do feet sound good?
They have good Toe-n.

What kind of concert is flexible?
A rubber band.

Why do people worship flute?
Because they're holey.

What instrument is naturally found in your body?
The Trom-Bone.

What type of musician says the most bad words?
Per-Cussin-ists!

Why don’t musicians do drugs?
Because it’s band, and there's gonna B Major punishment if you do.

Why did the musician steal everyone’s music during math class?
He was taking notes.

What did the fat musician do when he tripped going down the stairs?
Walk and Roll

What do musicians do in fights?
They oboe people.

How many trombones does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
One, because they all screw everything up.

Why are saxes smarter than flutes?
Because flutes can't reed.

What Short note is half a minute long regardless of tempo?
Thirty Second Notes.

My Life... :facepalm:
Bye!

RocketFeller

Reaction score
Just one question for the O.P. - What kind of rockets do you like?

Incongruent

Reaction score
And now we proceed to everyon's favorite topic...
Themselves.

Scale models, semi-scale models, could-be-scale models, and oddrocs.

Too many ideas!
Too little time! (Says person that spent 1/4 of their day on TRF- who am I kidding... But admittedly much of it is, as is now, at school.)

My fleeting fleet ('cause it's small) currently consist of:
1 wizard
-One fin currently masking taped together. Comes down in 2 pieces cause the shock cord broke.
A bunch of A8-3s and an A6-4 or two.

1 Unfinnished Apogee Avion

1 CMR Effy (Thanks Mr. John Dyer!)

1 Unpainted Scratch X-15
(Launched sideways, not enough nose weight and acted as lifting body.) x2
(Straight Boost) x1
All A8-3s

1 semi-scale Chang Zheng 7
Need to add nonfunctional strap ons.
They act as drag producers and have small fins.

Unpainted but over wood-fillerized and sanded Baby Bertha
1 A8-3

Scratch could-be-scale fighter jet.
It's a 2x13mm cluster.
Got lazy and painted it with watercolor. Not it has to be stored in a separate bag 'cause the paint rubs off.
2xA10-3T - 1 motor catoed and blew out both motors and ejection- I think.
1x 1/2 A4-2T only 1 side ignited, so...
Close to pad recovery!

some scratch parts

some unfinished ideas and rockets

Problably more that I can remember.

Has anyone fit a 38mm J in a modified and strengthened big Bertha and flown it?
Even gotten past RSO?

Incongruent

Reaction score
Update on what I did today:
School
1st period- TRF
2nd Period- TRF
3rd Period- Tried working for a bit, but gave in after 30 seconds.
4th Period- Spent way too long reading a script with personalized voices and sneaking peeks at TRF. Really long peeks.
5th Period- Set up online textbook. Username is last name followed by first initial. so... yea.
6th Period- First period I got through without TRF... Did you fall for it? Problably not.
7th Period- Clay, so no electronics :(. Tried to make pinch pot look like blast deflector.

When I was going home, I saw a decent plastic streamer draped around some traffic cones.
I guess it fell out someone's rocket or something; it didn't have a price tag or anything so I don't think it was being sold.
It wasn't there this morning.

I took it for my rockets.
Here it is:

Noituac Streamer.jpg

It's a good think the streamer was there, right behind it, the manhole cover was missing. I would have fallen in if I hadn't noticed the streamer.
I guess it saved me more than I saved it.

Do you guys have any experience with using the Noituac Brand?
The plastic seems a little stiff, but it could be from being outside. Good visibility, yellow and black, too.

Last edited:

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
hmm, a 38mm J would fit...but one should go with a single use motor as you'll never see it again. I have stuffed a 38mm G into a big bertha it vanished 1.5 seconds after the motor came up to pressure and reappeared a half mile or so away.
Rex

Incongruent

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Aerotech D21T can reach supersonic? (In a really light and low drag rocket.)
Has anyone done it? Would it be economically and technically feasible to build it light and strong enough?

How light do altimeters that record speed get?

Thanks.

noffie79

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Aerotech D21T can reach supersonic? (In a really light and low drag rocket.)
Has anyone done it? Would it be economically and technically feasible to build it light and strong enough?

How light do altimeters that record speed get?

Thanks.
I flew my Baby Bertha on a D21 just this past Sunday actually. I know for a fact it went supersonic. Those fins didn't flutter at all, and they were only held on with wood glue.

Incongruent

Reaction score
I flew my Baby Bertha on a D21 just this past Sunday actually. I know for a fact it went supersonic. Those fins didn't flutter at all, and they were only held on with wood glue.
Baby Bertha?
The Apogee aspire is ~28 grams (vs ~54) and more aerodynamic than a Baby Bertha, and it takes at least a high F to break Mach.

Was it measured by altimeter or did you hear the shockwave?

What was the Mach number? (If you know)

noffie79

Reaction score
Baby Bertha?
The Apogee aspire is ~28 grams (vs ~54) and more aerodynamic than a Baby Bertha, and it takes at least a high F to break Mach.

Was it measured by altimeter or did you hear the shockwave?

What was the Mach number? (If you know)
Yes, a Baby Bertha! I couldn't believe it! I definitely heard the sonic boom. Everyone there did. If I had to guess, I'd say it was at least mach 1.6. That's a low guesstimate.

noffie79

Reaction score
It was definitely the most impressive high power launch I've ever taken part in!

Incongruent

Reaction score
That's really cool, but the sonic boom is supposed to be very local. Was everyone at the launch a similar distance from the launch pad?
It could have been a motor malfunction, either an unusually fast propellant or something blew.

It was a D21?
An average of over 80n thrust or H class and above is high power.
Though if the propellant burned 4x as fast, it would be. Unofficially.

From what I read the rocket recovered OK, is that the case with the motor?

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
The great part about d21s and d10s is you can topload them into a boattail for base drag reduction. 3/4FNC, VK NC, MD, streamer.

There are a couple of altimeters in the 1-2gram range that would make a nice NC ballast. Launch on a big field with lots of eyes, and you may even get your <1oz rocket back!

noffie79

Reaction score
That's really cool, but the sonic boom is supposed to be very local. Was everyone at the launch a similar distance from the launch pad?
It could have been a motor malfunction, either an unusually fast propellant or something blew.

It was a D21?
An average of over 80n thrust or H class and above is high power.
Though if the propellant burned 4x as fast, it would be. Unofficially.

From what I read the rocket recovered OK, is that the case with the motor?
Yes, it was a D21. It was on the away pad, so we kept our distance, about 300'. But we all heard the boom. The rocket did not recover. Due to the extreme altitude, slight breeze and the main coming out at apogee instead of the drogue, I'm pretty sure it landed three counties away.

Incongruent

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of the dual deploy system?
Were both chutes next to each other?
How heavy was the rocket at launch, with the electronics and stuff?
The baby bertha can go up to 575 ft on a C, so since D21 is ~2x the energy in 1/3 the time and air resistance, it shouldn't go higher than 1200 ft, which according to Murphy's law would make it get picked up by aliens but according to common sense, land in a relatively close place.

How did you detect fin flutter from the ground?
I'd love to steal your tips.

-Tony

noffie79

Reaction score
I have no pictures. I had my GoPro attached to the side of the Baby Bertha, but the thrust of the motor ripped it right off. It held on for a split second after motor ignition, and I didn't see any fin flutter. I'm not sure of the pad weight of it, but it was built stock, so I'm sure it was close to the advertised weight. I use a bubble gum wrapper for a streamer and one square of Estes wadding as a cute. The electronics bay is very small, if I could zoom in close enough with my phone to share a pic, I would. But, I can't, so I won't. There were no aliens in the area, so it was free to drift. And drift. And drift...

Incongruent

Reaction score
So It's a baby bertha kit. (that's more helpful than you think, it rules out the possibility of a downscale)
Without a spent engine or chute, my baby bertha weighs in at 2.1 oz. (60g) That's problably because my excessive wood filler fillets though.
View attachment 304000
Before you tease, they're decorative. Not functional.
And other modifications. With the motor at 15 grams (spent), the mass goes up to 75g.
I'm going to assume the avionics and charges are 5 grams. Probably way off.
80 grams

So the chute deployed rather than streamer, which was a piece of wadding.
With the 12" chute supplied, rocketreviews (sorry, probably inaccurate)
estimates a descent speed of 5 mph.
It seems unlikely to me that you're referring to standard Estes wadding; clarification needed.

In a stock baby bertha, 1200 feet on D21 is (probably) already pushing it, especially with wind.
And if it weathercocks, it'll be pushed back assuming wind doesn't change.

Can you send pics from the gopro video?
Did it break mach before or after separation?

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited:

Incongruent

Reaction score
Today was a bad day.

I'm not talking about the election, though it is depressing that we use an archaic system that fails 7% of the time.
Would you support a game, court, competition, etc. where 7% of the time, someone overrules the winner?

Moving on.
So at school, they always say that they teach us to prepare for the "real world".
Guess what I found out about the "real world"...
Yup. The "real world" is "the next test" and "the SAT"
Amazing, huh?

Nope.
Sometimes, civilization goes backwards.

Here's the full story.
Math class. Teacher teaches about orthocenters. Or, rather, pretends the students' illiteracy and reads of a PowerPoint. Eventually we reach a point where she has us calculate the orthocenter of a triangle. There's a program/site called Desmos, which is an online graphing calculator. So, all the benefits of a normal graphing calculator except you can find the buttons faster and don't have to walk across the room to get the class ones. So I ask if we can use it. Yes, I'm lazy and don't like doing the algebra by hand, but would there ever practically be a situation where someone comes up to you and says: "I need you to do a bunch of tedious math by hand, no calculator."?!? NO! That's stupider than anyone who implies it! Since I know how to do the math (and how to use a calculator to do it), do I really need to do busywork? I know it's called practice, but that's like practicing cutting tubes with a rock when you have a perfectly good knife, I might not always have a calculator, but when I need to find the orthocenter, I'll have one.

"What if there's no wifi?"
Then there will be a bigger problem than finding a special point in a triangle. Getting Wifi. Sorry, had to throw that in because it's just so annoying when people use that as a counterexample.

Back to the story. So my math teacher replies, "But you won't have Desmos on a test" "You won't have it on the SAT." She then proceeds to repeat those phrases for the next 5 minutes.

ARGH...

Because I dislike tests. They do an amazing job at assessing one thing, and always this one thing: cramming skills.
Not knowledge, comprehension, thinking, or anything else.
Cramming skills. Which, as we all know, is an important skill in the modern workforce.

And because it's so comforting, to think that people expect the pinnacle of my life to be reached when I:
1) Do a test
2) Do the SAT.

Tests. In other words, I'm learning crap to get admission to learn more crap. Yes, it's useful information, but will it be used that way? No, it'll be used to pass your next test and do well on the SAT.

I think that it's useful information, and I think it can be applied to things outside of school. (In rockets, no less...) But when the intended final destination of the information is not to lead you to understand more complex math, or apply it to real life, but rather to pass a test... motivation dies.

- Tony

Incongruent

Reaction score
In terms of rocketry, got an Estes Mercury Redstone, then sanded, shaped, glued, papered, glued, sanded, super-glued, sanded, touched up, caressed, took around the house, examined, felt knife edged, carried back to room, lost, panicked, found, sealed up, and put away with love the fins, glued the capsule panels, modified the capsule, glued the escape tower fuel tank (plus mini engines on a stick and aerodynamic spike) together.

By the way, I'm making the entire tower removable. So that's why the spike is glued.

I remade the plug fairings (those triangular prisms at the bottom of the tube, between the fins, known as "detail parts") out of harder balsa and shaped the more accurately. Because I screwed up the ones that came with the kit, mostly. But I like mine better.

I also sanded the fins to a realistic knife edge rather than leaving 1 mm rounded as shown in the instructions. I'm assuming that was for strength, since I fount the knife edge tips, which were especially breakable... broken.

That was before I papered the fins and CA-ified the leading, trailing, and outer (for the control fin) surfaces. A bit of sanding and they are once again knife edge.

I played with some filler putty. Played with is less embarrassing than "tried to use and failed miserably"

I'll pick up some paint and paint the capsule and tower this weekend.

Does spray paint fill the indentions in the capsule (On the actual mercury capsule, made by the punch press)?

Would I have luck using the 1/2 oz bottles of liquid paint and hand painting? Much more control in my opinion.

-Tony

Incongruent

Reaction score
So I was looking over the Nike Smoke diagrams and the inlet port was listed as 1 inch STD. I had no idea what STD stood for, so I googled it. Let's say the results were not what I was looking for.

I found out what it was actually referring to, at least. It stands for 'Standard'.
Usually referring to United States Military Standard (USM-STD)