In Search Of...the Estes Quasar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a vacation visit to an Uncle in Colorado Spring, CO many years ago, we convinced our parents to take us to Penrose for a visit to Estes. After the tour, and the launch of a Big Bertha, we got to look in the store. As we already had rockets, and money was tight, it was decided to only get 1 rocket kit for my younger brother, his first as he was only about 7 at the time. It was the Quasar, and I loved how it went together, and did not need paint! Back then all we had was brush paint. It saw more time "playing" then flying, to the point the Chrome was coming off of the Nose Cone. Back ahead 35+ years, and my brother has been long out of the hobby, no clue as to what ever happened to the Quasar!

Mike
It's becoming very apparent that a lot of people still active in the hobby have very fond memories of this particular kit. I'm hopeful that, absent a surprise reissue from Estes a la Der Red Max, given the current vintage-kit-cloning-craze, some other company could clone it. Maybe Bill Stine and Quest could come out with a "Quest-Star"; Carl at Semroc could put a humorous spin on it with a Russian theme and offer a "Quay-Czar"; Ray at InFlight could offer a "Ray-Zar"; If it was a reasonable facsimile---I'd buy several.

I will try to make it on my Alps and see how it turns out.

Wouldn't the current Estes Metalizer kit come somewhat close to the
Quasar?

Wouldn't the current Estes Metalizer kit come somewhat close to the
Quasar?
Possibly the fin can would work for a Citation-version clone, with some modification (plastic engine retaining ring out, old school engine hook in). I'm just having a little trouble judging whether it is the same as the Quasar/Alpha III fin unit. It looks slightly different. Still, thanks for the suggestion.

Isn't the Metalizer basically just another version of the Chrome Dome? If so, then it uses a two piece fin unit whereas the Quasar had a one piece unit. I too miss the Quasar. It's one of the rockets I still have vivid memories of building way back in 1978...I loved the no paint color scheme. It was always one of my favorite flyers.
Craig
(I still remember rubbing the soot off of the chrome).

Isn't the Metalizer basically just another version of the Chrome Dome? If so, then it uses a two piece fin unit whereas the Quasar had a one piece unit. I too miss the Quasar. It's one of the rockets I still have vivid memories of building way back in 1978...I loved the no paint color scheme. It was always one of my favorite flyers.
Craig
(I still remember rubbing the soot off of the chrome).

Yup - the Metalizer is BT-56 with the Chrome Dome fin can and nose cone.

That's why I used the term "somewhat close." Back in the 1970's I don't recall seeing anyone launching a Quasar (saw plenty of Bomarc's, Patriots,
etc., from the Citation era, but no Quasar's). But looking at the pics of the
Quasar would tell me it uses a BT-50 sized body tube and would obviously
get greater altitude than the Metalizer.

I'm just having a little trouble judging whether it is the same as the Quasar/Alpha III fin unit. It looks slightly different.

The biggest difference is the number of fins:

Quasar has 3, Metalizer has 4.
Anleu%27s%20Metalizer.jpg

I have the decal drawn and will print it our tomorrow to see how it comes out. I will post pictures if it comes out ok.............I currently have 2 Quasar rockets with the white fins.

I have the decal drawn and will print it our tomorrow to see how it comes out. I will post pictures if it comes out ok.............I currently have 2 Quasar rockets with the white fins.
That's awesome---I'm looking forward to seeing how it turned out!

Nice avatar you have there, BAR065. It's good to have another Quasar nut around here. I just recently assembled a chrome Quasar from a Citation starter set and am disappointed with how thin the chrome is on the fin can. Look at it wrong and you've marred the finish. The nose cone's chrome is much thicker. I guess the vacuum-deposited aluminum doesn't hold up over time.

Another difference between the chrome and gray versions and the white version is the decal. The chrome and gray versions' decals were printed on 3M silver mylar film, whereas the white version's decal was printed on a silver paper similar to Monokote. The mylar decal is noticably more reflective than the paper decal.

Nice avatar you have there, BAR065. It's good to have another Quasar nut around here. I just recently assembled a chrome Quasar from a Citation starter set and am disappointed with how thin the chrome is on the fin can. Look at it wrong and you've marred the finish. The nose cone's chrome is much thicker. I guess the vacuum-deposited aluminum doesn't hold up over time.

Another difference between the chrome and gray versions and the white version is the decal. The chrome and gray versions' decals were printed on 3M silver mylar film, whereas the white version's decal was printed on a silver paper similar to Monokote. The mylar decal is noticably more reflective than the paper decal.
Hello Quasar. First of all, I will change my avatar in deference to you ASAP. If I copied it, I did so subconsciously! Sorry about that (chief).

Since I never had a Citation version Quasar as a kid (I had an unopened one several years ago), I'm more nostalgic for the white finned/nose cone(d) version, but I would be ecstatic to find any version.

That's interesting about the differerent papers used. SCIGS30 says he has some more different papers he wants to try on his ALPS for it. That would be so great to be able to produce those---it makes me want to get an ALPS printer, but it's a big investment. I would love it if Phred at Excelsior would offer this!

Man:
I'm sorry but every time I see the Name Quasar I sure don't think Estes! I alway think of the really KEWL Centuri Quasar.
Something on my list of down scales for Microniizing at the moment.

To me the Estes quasar is nothing more the a stretch versio of the Alpha, with red fins and Nose they called it "the America" I believe some years back.
Funny how a name evokes certain memories to different folks.

Centuri_Quasar_small.jpg

I have a (built) white-fin/nosecone Quasar that I built back in the 80's or so, but only flew recently once. I would be willing to let it go to one who desires it more than I.

I've been able to locate my old Mars Lander, Alien Invader, Centuri UFO Invader, and most of my 1284 Shuttle stack, but still can't find my old X-wing.

I understand your cravings!;)

Let me know and I could take a pic to show its status.

Ken

I have a (built) white-fin/nosecone Quasar that I built back in the 80's or so, but only flew recently once. I would be willing to let it go to one who desires it more than I.

I've been able to locate my old Mars Lander, Alien Invader, Centuri UFO Invader, and most of my 1284 Shuttle stack, but still can't find my old X-wing.

I understand your cravings!;)

Let me know and I could take a pic to show its status.

Ken
PM Sent!

Hello Quasar. First of all, I will change my avatar in deference to you ASAP. If I copied it, I did so subconsciously! Sorry about that (chief).

Oh, I don't care what avatar you use. I'm just here to have fun; you won't hurt my feelings if we both have the same avatar.:)

Oh, I don't care what avatar you use. I'm just here to have fun; you won't hurt my feelings if we both have the same avatar.:)
Thanks, Mike---I appreciate that. I just think everyone's avatar should be somewhat unique in order to distinguish one member from another. You've been a member a heck of a lot longer than me (although I was lurking back then!) and you also had that image as your avatar before I did. I just want to respect that.

My bad it was called the Liberty. just a stretched Alpha using the same Red Plastic fin can and nose cone.

the point was Estes version of the quasar doesn't really have much appeal. Best thing about it is the decal.

Excellent - thanks for clearing that up, John. I looked it up and it was produced from 1988 to 1991. The instructions and decal scan can be downloaded from YORS:

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1989/est1989.htm

I agree - the silver color was much cooler on this design, but the decal is interesting. May have to build one just for the heck of it!

Excellent - thanks for clearing that up, John. I looked it up and it was produced from 1988 to 1991. The instructions and decal scan can be downloaded from YORS:

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1989/est1989.htm

I agree - the silver color was much cooler on this design, but the decal is interesting. May have to build one just for the heck of it!

I don't recall or even try to remember all the non discript 3F&NC kit models, These two just hit me, as they used fairly decent names for a warmed over.... is adding a couple inches of BT-50 considered a design????
I agree the black on chrome decal is nice. It's one that can be reproduced with some of the thinner Chrome vinyls and a laser B&W printer rather then just our Alps.

In any event either of the two stretch alphas, make pretty good "entry level" PD and SD training models. I used to use my old liberty with the Scouts to demonstrate packing 36" & 42" chutes and wide, long streamers 6" x 100s" if memory serves? Great for showing how to maximize minimum space.

Y'know - I was thinking about trying something weird - how about converting an Estes Gnome (with the silver BT) into a downscale Quasar. You could use the nose from a 220-Swift and just make the fins from sheet styrene or cardstock (you could use balsa, but styrene and cardstock start pretty smooth).

Y'know - I was thinking about trying something weird - how about converting an Estes Gnome (with the silver BT) into a downscale Quasar. You could use the nose from a 220-Swift and just make the fins from sheet styrene or cardstock (you could use balsa, but styrene and cardstock start pretty smooth).
I'd also like to eventually build a downsized Quasar, maybe even a Micro. I also want to, one day, build a giant 4X one to have as a display model. But for now I'm still trying to make a 1:1 clone happen (just waiting for the decal to become available).

Paging Phred!

it'd be easy enough to just scratch build a BT-5 or smaller version. I'd bet with a little stretching you could use BobH48's Alpha Wrap to modify a Bt-5 "Skin".
I think I'd used a couple wraps of paper around the aft end to simulate the plastic fin can bulge.
Painting the nose and fincan with Rustorelum silver would be my choice as trying to chrome it would end up as a grey printer printed yuck after a very short while.

Humm Maybe I'll have to add this to the T3 micro list I'm getting ready for vacation building???

Epilogue

Thanks to Ken (new2hpr), I now have a genuine built-up vintage Quasar to call my own. I can't thank him enough.

On the cloning front, thanks to SCIGS30, I have an amazing Quasar body-wrap decal, the last piece of the Estes Quasar cloning puzzle. Now I just have to get a rattle can of Flat White for the Alpha III fin unit and nose cone. I'll post a picture of the clone, when it's done, on the Quasar Decal thread:
https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=47724

Back