In Search Of...the Estes Quasar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAR065

Reaction score
Back when it was in production, I built and flew several of these. It was the second model rocket that I ever had. I remember the last one I bought new off the peg---it was at a Hobby Tech in a mall in New Jersey, around 1985. I remember being so glad to have found one, since they had been discontinued.

After college and several subsequent moves, I no longer had any of my rocketry fleet or equipment. I got back into it in the early 90s when Aerotech emerged onto the scene. Then, with the advent of the internet and eBay, I was able to re-acquire a lot of my childhood treasures. Among other things, I won a sealed 1976 Estes Star Trek Starter Set, a sealed Estes Citation Quasar kit (same as the one Bob S. just won at the NARAM-50 auction), and a couple of unopened bagged Quasar kits.

About six or seven years ago, when the economy started to tank, I ended up having to sell all my collectable rocket items on eBay. Of course, I've regretted it ever since.

Anyway, I've been searching in earnest for an Estes Quasar, mostly on eBay. There hasn't been one listed in a long time. For a kit that was in production for about 15 years, it is hard to fathom why it is now so scarce, at least on the open market.

If anyone out there can suggest another place for me to try, or if someone has a built/unbuilt/unopened/opened Estes Quasar of any variation, and/or parts like the wraparound decal, fin unit, or nose cone that they'd be willing to sell (I'm willing to pay ridiculous [in your favor] prices!), please post a reply or send me a PM.

Thanks

The Quasar Citation started kit was my introduction to model rocketry. I had one of the ones with the chrome nose cone and fin can. I wish I could find on of these as well.

quasar.jpg

It's a beautiful rocket. Good luck on your search.

The Quasar Citation started kit was my introduction to model rocketry. I had one of the ones with the chrome nose cone and fin can. I wish I could find on of these as well.
I knew I couldn't be the only one! Maybe Semroc can offer it as an xKit some day (it's gotten 68 votes so far on their site).

The Quasar (at least in its later forms, like Leo's) was basically just an Alpha III with a longer body tube and different colors and decals. (The earlier fin cans were different in that the bottoms of the fins weren't pointy, but almost as if the fins had been clipped (I think all the catalog pics were of that fin unit).)

The mostly chrome version would be the hardest to replicate, but the mostly white version (like Leo's) could be done I think, if you'd be willing to settle for a clone of sorts. One way I think you could do it -- take an Alpha III, a longer BT-50 (check the parts list), build the rocket, paint the finished rocket all white, then figure out how to get some of that chrome wrap material (I don't know where, but I'd bet some people on here know where to get it (e.g., InFlight Rocketry makes a nice Estes WASP clone with a chrome wrap)) and cut it to make the chrome portions of the original wrap, and then make waterslide decals for the black lettering (from scans).

Over the past 6 years, I have managed to collect all three versions of the Quasar: The chrome nose and fin version (with clipped fins) , they grey nose and fin version (non clipped "Alpha III fins), and the later white nose and fin version (non clipped Alpha III fins). All were ebay buys. All are 'used', and two came in launch kits. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Due to the 'single use' injection molded nose cone and fin unit, I doubt that anyone other than ESTES would ever reintroduce this model (That is if they still have the tooling), and even then it would be a long shot.. :cry:

There was a nice unbuilt, boxed, Citation version Quasar at the NARAM auction, but the bidding went too high for me.

Phred

" figure out how to get some of that chrome wrap material (I don't know where, but I'd bet some people on here know where to get it "

OK, try chrome Trim Monokote. Your local model airplane shop should have it.

My idea would be to paint the rocket all white. Wrap the entire BT with chrome monokote... and then use a white/black decal.

I will be glad to draw it and add it to my website if I get enough people who are willing to buy it.....

vote early and often!!

Phred

Yeah, most people can't print white on their decals, so I didn't mention that, but if you can convince Phred to make it for you, his decals are absolutely top notch. :)

The Citation Quasar was the first rocket I ever owned/flew.
My father & I picked that one up with a Citation Patriot back in 1977.
The hobby has been a drain on my wallet ever since, but a GOOD drain !:D

The Quasar (at least in its later forms, like Leo's) was basically just an Alpha III with a longer body tube and different colors and decals. (The earlier fin cans were different in that the bottoms of the fins weren't pointy, but almost as if the fins had been clipped (I think all the catalog pics were of that fin unit).)

The mostly chrome version would be the hardest to replicate, but the mostly white version (like Leo's) could be done I think, if you'd be willing to settle for a clone of sorts. One way I think you could do it -- take an Alpha III, a longer BT-50 (check the parts list), build the rocket, paint the finished rocket all white, then figure out how to get some of that chrome wrap material (I don't know where, but I'd bet some people on here know where to get it (e.g., InFlight Rocketry makes a nice Estes WASP clone with a chrome wrap)) and cut it to make the chrome portions of the original wrap, and then make waterslide decals for the black lettering (from scans).
I have been thinking about trying to clone it, but there are some issues. The fin unit and the nose cone were molded in white (for the later version); I really think it would look cheesy to paint the corresponding Alpha III parts to match. Also, the wraparound sticker with reflective silver/chrome would not be simple to duplicate. Even if I could locate reasonably close reflective paper, I'm told that printing opaque white over it (to duplicate the style of the original), in today's digital printing domain, would be very tough. Maybe your idea of painting the body tube white and then adding a chrome wrap of some sort would be more feasible.

Over the past 6 years, I have managed to collect all three versions of the Quasar: The chrome nose and fin version (with clipped fins) , they grey nose and fin version (non clipped "Alpha III fins), and the later white nose and fin version (non clipped Alpha III fins). All were ebay buys. All are 'used', and two came in launch kits. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Due to the 'single use' injection molded nose cone and fin unit, I doubt that anyone other than ESTES would ever reintroduce this model (That is if they still have the tooling), and even then it would be a long shot.. :cry:

There was a nice unbuilt, boxed, Citation version Quasar at the NARAM auction, but the bidding went too high for me.

Phred
I thought that, maybe, Estes would be able to do a run of Alpha III nose cones and fin units in white, upon special request. Then I came back to the reality that they aren't exactly customer service oriented these days.

I decided against going to NARAM because of the price of gas. When I saw the pics of the auction on the NARAM Live website, with a mint, sealed Estes Citation Quasar, I started kicking myself for not going. I haven't stopped yet.

" figure out how to get some of that chrome wrap material (I don't know where, but I'd bet some people on here know where to get it "

OK, try chrome Trim Monokote. Your local model airplane shop should have it.

My idea would be to paint the rocket all white. Wrap the entire BT with chrome monokote... and then use a white/black decal.

I will be glad to draw it and add it to my website if I get enough people who are willing to buy it.....

vote early and often!!

Phred
I thought about your idea on the way home from work---a waterslide decal that would have all the black and white elements of the original Quasar decal, and would be clear in the areas that otherwise would need to be chrome. Then a body tube covered in chrome Monokote, as you suggested, would, after applying the decal, appear identical to the original Quasar design.

I would be VERY interested in this. I'd order 15 of them myself (seriously). I hope it happens. Thanks, Phred!

If anyone else is interested, please chime in!

Yeah, most people can't print white on their decals, so I didn't mention that, but if you can convince Phred to make it for you, his decals are absolutely top notch. :)
I just made my best pitch to him! (See the post above.)

The Citation Quasar was the first rocket I ever owned/flew.
My father & I picked that one up with a Citation Patriot back in 1977.
The hobby has been a drain on my wallet ever since, but a GOOD drain !:D
It's like an icon of childhood memories for me, as I'm sure it probably is for you.

As for wallet drain, I can relate!!!!!!!!!!!!

My very first rocket was a gift for Christmas 1972 and it was the Alpha III starter kit....

Well...

Sort of.

Actually it appears that it was a goof. The nose cone and fin unit were white-ish. And the tips of the fins were clipped rather than pointed. I was 11 at the time and didn't think much of it and just brush painted it red and white and flew it for several years until the body tube came apart on one flight from wear.

Later on I realized that the plastic parts were probably from a Quasar.

That was odd.

My very first rocket was a gift for Christmas 1972 and it was the Alpha III starter kit....

Well...

Sort of.

Actually it appears that it was a goof. The nose cone and fin unit were white-ish. And the tips of the fins were clipped rather than pointed. I was 11 at the time and didn't think much of it and just brush painted it red and white and flew it for several years until the body tube came apart on one flight from wear.

Later on I realized that the plastic parts were probably from a Quasar.

That was odd.
I recently picked up two old Alpha IIIs, but unfortunately they had the old dullish dark red fins and nose cones. I would have been elated to have gotten white ones! (Don't get me wrong---I love the old Alpha III, it's just that I've got my sights set on the Quasar right now.)

Honestly, I think painting an Alpha III fin can wouldn't look bad at all. Sand, prime, and paint as you would any other rocket. I always paint my plastic nose cones... even when they are already molded in the appropriate color, and fin cans too.

As Fred suggested....it would be easy enough to paint the entire rocket white. Apply chrome monocote to the appropriate areas, and overlay a decal with the star and "Quasar" lettering in black. No need for anything printed in white(or any other color) so far as I can tell.

Honestly, I think painting an Alpha III fin can wouldn't look bad at all. Sand, prime, and paint as you would any other rocket. I always paint my plastic nose cones... even when they are already molded in the appropriate color, and fin cans too.

As Fred suggested....it would be easy enough to paint the entire rocket white. Apply chrome monocote to the appropriate areas, and overlay a decal with the star and "Quasar" lettering in black. No need for anything printed in white(or any other color) so far as I can tell.
In all likelihood, that's probably what I'll end up doing, in which case the decal becomes the missing piece to the puzzle.

Or buy and Alpha III, get Phred to make you some decals, clip the tips from the fins and send the plastic parts here:

https://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/

I have no idea how much that would cost, but maybe we could get a group order going.
Thanks, Don, for the link. This could be an amazing way to replicate the Citation Quasar's fin can and nose cone, but it may be a little pricey; judging from some of the prices they charge to plate various automotive parts, it might be $30 or more to plate a set of a fin can and nose cone. Still, it's definitely worth checking into, and I'd be willing to go in on a group order.

BTW, I've been meaning to order The Gremlin (it's just too cool) so I'll be placing that order this evening.

You can get some Chrome monokote adhesive from BMS. That should help.

You can get some Chrome monokote adhesive from BMS. That should help.
Thanks---I had no idea they carried Monokote. My last order with them was their last Clone of the Month Kit, the Astron Drifter (an excellent kit).

Thanks---I had no idea they carried Monokote. My last order with them was their last Clone of the Month Kit, the Astron Drifter (an excellent kit).

If you can take a look at BMS website and download their catalog, you'll see
the adhesive monokotes as well as tons of other stuff. I've been doing business with BMS for several years now, and have nothing but high praise
for Bill's service and product quality.

If you can take a look at BMS website and download their catalog, you'll see
the adhesive monokotes as well as tons of other stuff. I've been doing business with BMS for several years now, and have nothing but high praise
for Bill's service and product quality.
Thanks, Dave---after I replied to your post, I went on the BMS website and downloaded the PDF of their 2008 catalog. They do indeed offer an extensive selection; I'm gonna pick out some other stuff to order in addition to the mirrored chrome Monokote.

I have an 'interesting' Citation Quasar story and, no, it doesn't involve the auction at NARAM-50. :D

Back in 1973/74, my Mother drove me over to our hometown hobby shop (which had the most AWESOME display of model rocket stuff I have ever seen. Estes, Centuri & Cox).

I wanted to buy a starter set 'cause I wanted a 'real' launch pad and controller. I saw the Citation Starter Set and spent $12.00 (Ouch, back then) to buy it.

As my Mother drove us away from the hobby shop, I opened the box to look at the parts. As I reviewed the part list for the Quasar, I discovered that the body tube and one other item was missing (I forget what it was) from the kit.

I told my Mother, she did a 180 at the next stop light and we went back to the hobby shop. The store didn't have another Citation Starter Set so I ended up getting a refund and leaving.

If I only knew then what I know now... :cry:

I did get a Citation Quasar and the chrome launch pad at a later date. I built and flew that Quasar many times and still have it. :)

I have an 'interesting' Citation Quasar story and, no, it doesn't involve the auction at NARAM-50. :D

Back in 1973/74, my Mother drove me over to our hometown hobby shop (which had the most AWESOME display of model rocket stuff I have ever seen. Estes, Centuri & Cox).

I wanted to buy a starter set 'cause I wanted a 'real' launch pad and controller. I saw the Citation Starter Set and spent $12.00 (Ouch, back then) to buy it.

As my Mother drove us away from the hobby shop, I opened the box to look at the parts. As I reviewed the part list for the Quasar, I discovered that the body tube and one other item was missing (I forget what it was) from the kit.

I told my Mother, she did a 180 at the next stop light and we went back to the hobby shop. The store didn't have another Citation Starter Set so I ended up getting a refund and leaving.

If I only knew then what I know now... :cry:

I did get a Citation Quasar and the chrome launch pad at a later date. I built and flew that Quasar many times and still have it. :)
I don't think I'll ever even see one of the old Citation Starter Sets, aside from looking through old Estes catalogs.

Obviously, in hindsight, it is probably somewhat agonizing to think that you had actually returned one for a refund, but back then, no one could have predicted it would ever have become such a rare and valuable collectible.

It's kind of ironic, but my most recent agonizing (OK, I'm exaggerating a little) rocketry-related experience was seeing the photos of the NARAM-50 auction with the unopened Estes Citation Quasar kit (one of which which I used to own) on the preview table and then being held up by the auctioneer. I downloaded the audio of the auction and listened as you won it for, let us say, a very modest price. (Of course, that estimation is highly subjective.)

Congratulations, Bob, on a great pick up, and if you ever want to triple your money on it, by all means PM me anytime!

On a vacation visit to an Uncle in Colorado Spring, CO many years ago, we convinced our parents to take us to Penrose for a visit to Estes. After the tour, and the launch of a Big Bertha, we got to look in the store. As we already had rockets, and money was tight, it was decided to only get 1 rocket kit for my younger brother, his first as he was only about 7 at the time. It was the Quasar, and I loved how it went together, and did not need paint! Back then all we had was brush paint. It saw more time "playing" then flying, to the point the Chrome was coming off of the Nose Cone. Back ahead 35+ years, and my brother has been long out of the hobby, no clue as to what ever happened to the Quasar!

Mike

Back