In praise of the LOC Deployer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Deployer is a kit that I think should get more attention than it seems to.

The biggest selling point for me is that it's a mid-power kit equipped with dual deploy. This was instrumental to me coming off of my rocketry hiatus a few years ago, giving me a dual deploy platform that could fly to a modest 900-1000 feet on a G motor, allowing me to get comfortable with dual deploy again before doing a high-performing high power flight. I think this would also make it a good first dual deploy rocket for people looking to get into high power. You can try out dual deploy on G motors, and then put a 29mm H into it for a cert flight. I just flew mine on an H for the first time at Red Glare and it screamed on the H182R. It will take that punch and break 2000 feet for a nice high flight while staying in sight so you can see it come down.

It does have two pitfalls that newbies should be warned about though. First, it does say it can fly on an F motor on the package. It probably can if it's not carrying the weight of a dual deploy system. I wouldn't fly it on an F with dual deploy.

Second, it has the lightweight avionics bay, which does not seal properly if you build it stock. It has one bulkhead permanently epoxied in place while the other is removable. You must take measures to seal around the edges of the removable bulkhead when you fly it, or ejection gases are going to leak into your electronics bay and cause a pressure spike that may deploy your main early if the removable end is the drogue end. This is what happened to me the first couple of times I flew it. Even if the removable end is the main end though and you don't have to worry about early main deployment, you do not want ejection gases corroding your electronics. I use plumber's putty around the edge of the removable bulkhead to seal it. It sticks on well and peels right off after the flight.

Bear in mind as well, that some 29mm H motors come in under the 125 gram limit requiring an FAA waiver to launch, and my Deployer came in at 2.8 pounds ready for launch on an H, well under the 4.4 pound limit, so this rocket can be flown on some H motors outside of a club launch with a waiver, as long as you have an appropriate pad and controller and a level 1 cert to buy H motors.

20210329_095020.jpg

Good advice. LOC kits give you a nice rocket for the price. I have several now and next one will probably also be a LOC.

Looks like a decent rocket for L1 and getting experience with DD.
Agree it may be a little too heavy for an F motor, even an F67 with DD.

It is 1500gram or 3.3 pound limit without an FAA waver?

If you flew this Saturday at Red Glare I saw the launch but since there were 350 launches I don't remember it.

Thanks, if I ever get this deep into the hobby/obsession I will remember this. Here in Western PA you can't be too much of an altitude junkie, and keeping something below 2000' or even being able to do dual deploy on a 1000' flight is a good thing.

Good advice. LOC kits give you a nice rocket for the price. I have several now and next one will probably also be a LOC.

Looks like a decent rocket for L1 and getting experience with DD.
Agree it may be a little too heavy for an F motor, even an F67 with DD.

It is 1500gram or 3.3 pound limit without an FAA waver?

If you flew this Saturday at Red Glare I saw the launch but since there were 350 launches I don't remember it.
Class 1 rockets by FAR101 are:

Less than 1500grams
Have less than 125g of propellant

The last includes several (seven in the 29mmRMS cases from an older AT catalog) H motors not including the H13ST (which was just used to set a altitude record of 14,996' and was probably under the 1500gram weight too, so no FAA Waiver required).

Possibly the best rocket name ever. . .I you're going to try your first DD flight, would you prefer:

1: Deployer
2: Lawn Dart
3: "Come on. . . Come on. . .Come on. . .ouch."
4: "Oooohhhh, that's going to hurt"
5: "Did you arm the altimeter?"

Seems like a nice rocket with a great name to me. Surprised I never heard of it. . .

Sandy.

For reference, 1500g is 3.3 pounds.

But it it’s all that you say it is, that looks like an ideal platform for perfecting HPR DD techniques. A step up from converting a BT-60 rocket like a Star Orbiter but not quite to the level of something you’d have to fly motor eject to keep it under the mass limit (Darkstar Jr, for example). If you want to go DD for a Level 1 certification flight, this may be an ideal platform to practice and attempt with.

Deployer's H flight was actually at last year's Red Glare. There was someone flying a Deployer this year, but it wasn't mine. I was busy with my level 3 cert flight.

I was surprised to see this one suddenly getting attention after going unnoticed for a year.

I actually repaired my Deployer recently. A hard landing where the parachute ejected but didn't open resulted in two splintered fins. I suppose that's a third pitfall with this rocket... the stock parachute I got is on the stiff side. This wasn't the first time it failed to open after deploying successfully, but it was the first time it resulted in damage to the rocket. It might be better to replace it with a 30" Top Flight or Apogee parachute.

A number of the LOC chutes have worked well for me but I did have one that was very stiff and failed to open on a cold day. It depolyed but stayed rolled up even with the shrould lines free. That was replaced with a Top Flite thin mil.

Back