In dire need of level 1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Reaction score
What Is the strongest level 1 kit? How well made are BDS kits?

BSD has some very good level 1 kits as are PML and others. It depends on what you mean by strong. Just make sure when you buy the kit you also ask what the suggested motors and their projected heights.

Originally posted by Bowhunter
What Is the strongest level 1 kit? How well made are BDS kits?

The strength of a kit is not in the kit itself. It's how you put it together. Use good strong glues, and gluing methods. Apply fillets at all stress joints. Buy a couple of good mid power kits and practice your techniques on them. I wouldn't recommend Aerotech kits for practice, as they are the only kits made using their methods. Attend some launches at local clubs, ask people how they assembled their larger rockets, and the techniques they use. If they experience a failure, ask what happened, and why. You would be suprised just how much you can learn, just by being around other HPR fliers.

Bowhunter-

BSD kits are great! I have a BSD Sprint, a Baby Thor, and a L3 Horizon. All their kits have good quality components and great instructions (they read like a primer in HPR). One of my friends did his L1 on a Diablo.

For strength, I would also recommend PML kits. I have PML Cirrus, Endeavor, Small Endeavor and did my L1 on a Callisto (AT H97 BJ) and my L2 on a Hydra (Pro38 5G). I love the ease of finishing with quantum tube.

After two years of launches, my Callisto augered in BAD...way to much wind to safely launch on a marginally powered motor... The ejection charge went off no more than 3' off the ground, shooting the nose cone into the desert hard pack. The cone got some deep gouges, but came through intact. The QT, though notorious (supposedly) for taking impact badly, only cracked slightly at the impact end. A little trim of the tube and some bondo and fresh paint, it's flying again!

Good luck on your L1!

Hey There !
Welcome to the forum!
I still vote for a Loc Precision EZI-65 and even more so for
the PML 4" Amraam! I just got my level 2 cert on a J275.
that took her up to 3900 feet!
The standard stock built kit has flown dozens of times
perfectly! I especially like the piston ejection and the Spiral-Groove-less quantum tubing!!!
If you like you can check out some flight pics at "stlouisrocketry.org" in the gallery section from 2002.
Mine are the "unknown" red and gold EZI-65 and the 4" PML amraam!!!!
Dr Don

Dr Don I seen your level 2 flight and your crayon LOL. Hmmmm got me figured out yet? Its Warren!! im glad to seen ya come in We cant wait for April the wife is building a mod. right now as I type.

Another vote for the BSD kits.. i've done several and they all fly nice and take a beating...

Tried level one on my 4" BSD Horizon, had a delay blow by and the ejection charge fired during motor burn..only damage was a small crease in the tube.

Picked it back up, put it back together and an hour later it was back in the air under pro 38 power and certed level one.

I've done 5 or six of their kits now and they're all very nice with great instructions.

You can see some of them on my web page for more details if you wish..

I've never actually built a BSD kit, but I've seen many in action, and they are great! I also really like PML. I've built the Tiny Pterodactyl, Amraam 2, and Small Endeavour, and I absolutely love them! I plan on using my Small Endeavour for my L1, hopefully this summer. Great kits, and extremely strong.

Loopy

Most any approppriate kit from any of the many reputable vendors will work fine for L1 (add LOC, DG&A, Public Enemy and others to the list of possibilities). Pick one whose looks you like and that's priced right. You can even grab an L1 saucer from Art Applewhite.

Oops!!!
I posted what I thought was a reply to this thread and mistakenly posted a new thread under "crayons" if you want
to check it out.........
heres another inside look of the fin can and structure: Dr Don

Back