Imperial vs. Metric

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can do both.

In today's world, if you are in science or engineering, you better be prepared to do both. There is always some group that has their own conventions. If you work in those areas, you need to know what is going on. Physicists often set the speed of light c to be "1" in their equations for General Relativity. Talk about a mind-bender.

According to Bob and Doug McKenzie to get from Metric to Imperial you just double it and add 30. If on the radio they say it's cloudy and 5 degrees out, 5 and 5 is 10, add 30 is 40, it's the old 40 degrees.

Or a 6 pack of beers... 6 and 6 is 12, plus 30 is 42, it's 42 metric beers!!!

Back bacon, normally you eat a pound. In metric you double it it's 2, add 30, it's 32 Kilos of back bacon.

The speed limit is 50 miles an hour so you double it, 100 and add 30, so you can go 130 kilometers an hour!

They're probably not the best source for conversion factors now that I think about it. But the C to F does give a fairly close approximation.

So.... are astronomical units , AU, DU, TU metric, English, Engineering, archaic....

We should adopt decimal time: 10 decimal hours per day, 100 decimal minutes per decimal hour, one hundred decimal seconds per decimal minute.

Each decimal second is about 0.86 standard second.

I don't really care if you buy my argument or not. When someone says an item (I don't care if its a hex nut or a popsicle stick) is 7/16" or 1/2" I know exactly what that means. When someone says 3.5 mm I have no idea how big an item that is.

If the speed limit is 65 mph, that makes sense to me. If they say the speed limit is 104.6 kph, I say "What? Tell me what it is in MPH!!"

That’s a problem that fewer and fewer people have anymore. 55 mph is approximately 88 kph. 1/2 inch is exactly 12.7 mm.
And it’s a problem that’s easy to overcome. If you can learn that a foot is 12 inches, a yard is 3 feet, and a mile is 1760 yards, you can learn that an inch is exactly 25.4 millimeters. If you buy one set of metric wrenches you’ll quickly learn that a 3/8 in. wrench and a 10 mm wrench are sometimes interchangeable and that in a pinch you can use a 13 mm wrench on a half inch nut.
In engineering school we were given problems in both SI units and English units. We almost never converted from one to the other; we just thought in each system. But the revision that was enacted years ago does make conversions exact.
My kids think easily in both, first in metric units for small measurements (both are in science based fields) but neither one ever expresses confusion when I ask for a 7/16 inch wrench.

If we agreed on a standard I’d have no use for my little book that converts scruples to grains!

Attachments

• CF321970-45D3-4E92-AAA4-5BAB08119854.jpeg
    CF321970-45D3-4E92-AAA4-5BAB08119854.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 40
We should adopt decimal time: 10 decimal hours per day, 100 decimal minutes per decimal hour, one hundred decimal seconds per decimal minute.

Each decimal second is about 0.86 standard second.

Actually, we should make the year exactly 360 days long, counting from one or the other solstices, and do all time keeping in multiples of 6. Twelve months of six 5-day weeks (or five 6-day weeks), etc. At the end of the calendar year, we'd have a festival "week" between the terminal solstice and terminal solstice minus 360 days. Its the only sensible way to arrange things.

https://www.webexhibits.org/calendars/calendar-french.html#anchor-republican-year

...,so I could be smart like you.

Oh pshaw. I am not that smart.

I wondered who would get the joke. Clearly I forgot the numbers of each that Abe mentioned and was off by a factor of 100 or so... [emoji3]

Abe’s original quote was 40 rods to the hogshead (which, incidentally, is about 10 feet per gallon), but we knew what you meant.

Google makes us all smarter than we are, or dumber; I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

Its an interesting question. I find that I spend a lot of time trying to outsmart the Google search algorithm to get to some thing about which I know, but which I do not know.

In the context of this thread, for instance, I remembered something, from some long-ago BBC documentary series, about the attempts in the early-days of the French Republic to metricate time. Google was pretty helpful, serving up pages on the French Republican Calendar and 18th century decimal clocks.

OTOH, I asked one of my high school teachers about gradian measure (because of the DRG key on my TI35). We looked it up, in a book. The history we found included (unless this memory is confabulated) a mercator projection star chart marked off in gradian measurements used for directing field artillery. I have not been able to find that chart again nor have I been able to track down the text in which we found that article.

Back