I'm still looking for a Valentines day theme Odd-Roc!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone come up with a Valentines day Theme Odd-Roc? I've had a couple goofy ideas but they just haven't worked out as a flying model.
Maybe this year..we'll get something together.

I have a decal and planset.

Unlike the other Retro Bash decal sets this one uses a Big Bertha.

I inherited this from Phred.

It's not on my web site but it can be.

love bug.JPG

Love Bug2.JPG

I have a decal and planset.

Unlike the other Retro Bash decal sets this one uses a Big Bertha.

I inherited this from Phred.

It's not on my web site but it can be.

Now those are really Cute decals Sandman! but I'm looking for something a bit more original than just using hearts and flowers decals on a standard 3F&NC model.

I'm thinking of maybe using a few of those heart shaped candy boxes, a couple plastic roses and so on:D We'll have to see where this goes LOL!!!!

Now those are really Cute decals Sandman! but I'm looking for something a bit more original than just using hearts and flowers decals on a standard 3F&NC model.

I'm thinking of maybe using a few of those heart shaped candy boxes, a couple plastic roses and so on:D We'll have to see where this goes LOL!!!!

Hi John. Well, I haven't built this, just thinking out loud, but how
about a spool rocket made from heart shaped candy boxes?

jeff

Hi John. Well, I haven't built this, just thinking out loud, but how
about a spool rocket made from heart shaped candy boxes?

jeff
Jeff that might be an interesting way to go. I'm still thinking a little more ornate...something to catch the better 2/3rds eye LOL! Ya know with stuff that sparkles.

A single or even double heart shaped spool would be kind cool as well. Has anyone experimented with different size discs top and bottom of a spool? or in this case a 2lb box on the bottom and maybe on of the smaller sizes forward? I'm gonna have to drop by the candy store to see what I can find to work with:)

I am going to make an (MIT) educated guess that if the end plates of a spool are not symmetrical, it will tumble. A heart shape is not radially symmetrical.

Has anyone tried non-radially-symmetrical plated spools?

I was a little concerned about that too, although I've never
actually tried any shape that wasn't circular. If it were a
problem, maybe you could add some clear plastic discs above
and below to make it more aerodynamic.

What about a "Cupid's Arrow" - long slender BT (maybe BT-5), arrow fletching style fins and a heart shaped nose cone. Might be able to use one of those cut-out heart shaped pieces of wood in the tole painting section of a craft store. If it is thick enough, it shouldn't act like forward fins.

Just a weird thought! :p

Anyone come up with a Valentines day Theme Odd-Roc? I've had a couple goofy ideas but they just haven't worked out as a flying model.
Maybe this year..we'll get something together.

Hi John,

Actually, I came up with this last year made using heart-shaped candy boxes for the fins and nosecone called "Cupid's Arrow". It has a 29mm mmt. True, I never had a chance to fly it, so I don't know how it will fly, but R'sim says it will. :D

It's hard to tell in the photo, but I added little red heart sticker's and used a curse set of red letters for the name along the body tube.

valentine rocket.jpg

Kath! Now were talk'in! thats sort of what I had in mind. Not really all that wild about the center tube but a very nice looking model:)

Fred & Dick:
Agreed, I was thinking of using clear discs to round out the hearts, but was thinking of using two different size discs. do You guy think that will tumble anyway?
I'm still vary unclear on the aerodynamics of spools anyway:( One forward disc, fine. one Aft disc fine. two equal size discs...fine. but two unlike diameter disc....no go? What if we stack the larger disc forward?

Cut myself an angel's hair and baby's breath

1206379686_nirvanaheartshapedbox34kp8.jpg

(No, probably not a good idea...)

MarkII

If I were making one, I’d probably make a Delta wing type Boost Glider, with the wing shaped like a heart, painted red.

- George Gassaway

i'm working on one right now that is cupids arrow shaped. plastic heart mounted on the nose cone point up with the fins shaped like a classic arrow. the body will be gold with the nose read and fins silver. with my girlfriends name on one side and mine on the other.

If I were making one, I’d probably make a Delta wing type Boost Glider, with the wing shaped like a heart, painted red.

- George Gassaway

Dang! You read my mind!

A bunch of years ago, I did exactly this, making a heart winged glider called Heartbreaker (he he). It was made out of a predecessor material to todays Readiboard, and while light enough for its larger size, it didnt glide THAT well.

Didnt paint this, but wouldve done it in black with 'lightning' lines down the middle.......

BTW, George, back in 2001 I did make a sort of half scale foamboard 'profile scale' of Bob Kaplow, and this actually WORKED on a G35 and glided better than youd think. However, a monstrous CATO on its second flight burned him up. Shoulda took pictures........

Jeff that might be an interesting way to go. I'm still thinking a little more ornate...something to catch the better 2/3rds eye LOL! Ya know with stuff that sparkles.

Good luck with that, Micro. ;) Once my dad tried to impress my mom by buying her the fishing rod he always wanted for her birthday. It went over like a lead sinker.

Fun ideas here! I'm going to enjoy this board.

Not really Slick? Where is the "design"? rounded fins???
It's still just 6fins&NC. Shoot someone had a KIT model that looked very similar out some time back....could have been an FSI kit? Micro to 20" in diameter that model is still just putting fins on a tube, not really the inspiration i'm trying for.
I'm looking to build something that doesn't have the LOOK of a rocket. Sorry; It's a nice drawing, didn't mean to come off so negative but we're trying to spark some innovation and outside the box (Pun) thinking:) Maybe something a little funny looking on the pad but still with heart or hearts as the occasion might demand.:bangpan:

Good luck with that, Micro. ;) Once my dad tried to impress my mom by buying her the fishing rod he always wanted for her birthday. It went over like a lead sinker.

Fun ideas here! I'm going to enjoy this board.

Was talking with the better 2/3rd last night about this imagining..err project.
Shes out and about a lot more then I am these days, so ask if she'd stop by one of the chains that has all the valintines day stuff out already...asking if she'd pick up 4 or 5 heart shaped candy boxes in various sizes and colors, silk roses, a kids type valintine card assortment and some of those small hard candy hearts. Gave her funds for the excursion and said anything that might be eye catching , Flashy, sparkly, could be included.
We'll see what she comes up with, I'm hitting the dollar stores and Micheals this weekend. perhaps something at least funny will emerge?

This weekend we shopped around for some Valentine's Day
rocket materials and here are a few ideas we've come up with.
The photos are just "mock-ups", none of these have flown
yet and I would welcome any feedback.

These should fly ok, they are based on existing designs.

(1) First is a CD spool rocket that uses cardboard hearts
on the top and bottom. There is a nice writeup on how to
build a CD spool rocket at: https://www.cdspoolrocket.info/

(2) Next is an MMX entry using a Valentine's Day cupcake baking cup.
I found these at Michael's, and when I saw them I thought
of Dick Stafford's "My Little Cupcake" design:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/scratch_micro_cupcake.shtml
They come in a package of 75, so either we can make a lot of rockets
or I suppose we could use the rest for their intended purpose.

(3) The third one is a flying kiss (feel free to groan here). If
you already have a cone rocket, it can be modified by rolling it
in aluminum foil, then trimming and taping it down. My cone isn't exactly
to scale, looks like the base should be a little larger in diameter to be
an upscale of a Hershey's kiss, but I used what I had. The foil
is attached with tape so that it can be removed later. The
ribbon was made with a strip of white tissue paper. Just don't pull it! :)

jeff

IMG_5662_web.JPG

IMG_5669_web.JPG

IMG_5674_web.JPG

Then there are a few other ideas that look interesting on the bench
but they may or may not be stable without some further work. Anyway, here they are, tell me what you think.

(1) Keeping with the spool idea, here is a spool rocket with a flower
on top. I'm not sure if the flower will disturb the air flow too much,
might need to add a clear cover of some kind to make it more aerodynamic,

(2) Next are two UFO's, one made using a heart shaped candy box, one
using a stuffed animal. Same questions about air flow and stability as before. My wife likes the one with the puppy.

(3) If you need a cover for an irregular shape, perhaps a clear plastic
drinking cup could be used. This one looks to me like it might be better as
a nose cone instead of on top of a spool, but will try it and see.

jeff

IMG_5670_web.JPG

IMG_5653_web.JPG

IMG_5658_web.JPG

IMG_5659_web.JPG

Jeff:
Some very Niffty Spool rockets. I really like a couple of them.

I'm still gathering heart boxes and stuff for my valentines day model. Getting fatter on all the candy LOL!!! I'm looking at an in-line 3 motor cluster, D core with 18mm outboards. all contained within the base heart with box fins and other doodads. Still searching for the topper/NC? nothing so far as grabbed me.

Well things are starting to progress, We're a bit disapointed with the selection and colors this year...mostly dark reds, with very few pinks.
Still searching for more parts but have all the "boxes" and flowers I think it need....hope to have some construction done this weekend.

Here's a different thought. How about a mono-copter with a heart attached to the end of the blade that folds in the middle? Or maybe you could use a heart shaped paddle in place of the copter blade to give some lift? Speaking of mono-copters, has anyone built a mono-copter designed like a maple seed? Ted

Micro,
If you are still working this subject area, here are some considerations for making a cheap/fast/simple "kiss" rocket

I noticed today, after finishing off a diet Coke, that the top 3 inches of a 20 oz. plastic bottle make a pretty decent miniature "kiss" shape. Base diam is about 2.85 inches, and you would have to remove the top 3/4 inch (where the bottle cap threads on) and maybe as much as 1 & 1/4 inch. You could add a bit of conic on top to get to more of a "kiss" shape and then crumple some red metal foil over the outside.

The neck of the bottle top is large enough to take BT20 for an 18mm MMT, but I'll bet it would fly OK with a 13mm. Heck, it might just fly with a micromaxx motor...

Also, you may want to look at a V8 juice bottle in the 64 oz. size (I am assuming they sell that product up in your neck of the woods). That bottle has a very good shape/resemblance to the Hershey kiss, complete with a well rounded bottom edge (after you cut out the usable portion). Cutting off the top 3 & 1/4 inches of the bottle (down to below the first cannelure) gets you a big shape that is about 4 & 1/4 inches in diam. Again, you would have to remove the top inch or so to cut off the threads for the bottle cap, but this bottle seems thicker or stronger somehow, and the open bottom remains quite sturdy (at least, the one I just chopped up here). This looks like it would easily handle an 18mm or even 24mm motor. Featherweight/drag recovery (motor case ejected/streamered)?

Hope that helps-

Micro,
If you are still working this subject area, here are some considerations for making a cheap/fast/simple "kiss" rocket

I noticed today, after finishing off a diet Coke, that the top 3 inches of a 20 oz. plastic bottle make a pretty decent miniature "kiss" shape. Base diam is about 2.85 inches, and you would have to remove the top 3/4 inch (where the bottle cap threads on) and maybe as much as 1 & 1/4 inch. You could add a bit of conic on top to get to more of a "kiss" shape and then crumple some red metal foil over the outside.

The neck of the bottle top is large enough to take BT20 for an 18mm MMT, but I'll bet it would fly OK with a 13mm. Heck, it might just fly with a micromaxx motor...

Also, you may want to look at a V8 juice bottle in the 64 oz. size (I am assuming they sell that product up in your neck of the woods). That bottle has a very good shape/resemblance to the Hershey kiss, complete with a well rounded bottom edge (after you cut out the usable portion). Cutting off the top 3 & 1/4 inches of the bottle (down to below the first cannelure) gets you a big shape that is about 4 & 1/4 inches in diam. Again, you would have to remove the top inch or so to cut off the threads for the bottle cap, but this bottle seems thicker or stronger somehow, and the open bottom remains quite sturdy (at least, the one I just chopped up here). This looks like it would easily handle an 18mm or even 24mm motor. Featherweight/drag recovery (motor case ejected/streamered)?

Hope that helps-

It sure may Powder..."the Plan" is to use a Large Hershey Kiss as the nosecone for my valintine rocket, but I've been having trouble finding one of the llb wonders this year?? they were everywhere a year ago but so far we're still looking. If push comes to shove I may have to use the coke bottle trick or fashion one from scratch:)

Thanks for the suggestions they may be a big help.

So far I have the base and second heart mounted and have started work on the heart box fins and other doodads.

Spent a good bit of Saturday out looking for Large Hersheys Kisses with no luck at all. Not a one was found larger then the normal candy size:(
I'm going with Powders 20oz coke top suggestion.
A tough cold kept me from doing much Sunday and Monday but some progress was made Tuesday afternoon. The Body Hearts are now all done and fitted over the main BT-50.
I'm still debating with myself if I'm going to add the outboard 18mm cluster ducting the outboards into the main.
If all goes well I should have the Kiss NC and shoulder assembly together this evening along with a motor block/shockscord mount.
I'll try to get a couple pic out of the camera in the next couple days.

Back