I'm still looking for a Valentines day theme Odd-Roc!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay but all this *&(*^%$& darn Snow we've been getting in the DC area has sorta been taking up a bunch of time LOL!!!

anyway i've all be completed the model and have the photos ready for posting so
here we go.

starting the with "special" materials purchased at a number of drug stores, dollar stores, and a couple food stores I spent 20.98.
After an exhaustive search if my area I didn't find a single oversize candy Kiss anywhere so Powderburners suggestion with the 20oz coke bottle upper section has been used.

480-a01_Valentine Hearts Theme Odd-Roc parts_01-31-10.jpg

480-a02_Large Base Body Heart Box Reinforced_01-31-10.jpg

480-a03_Med. Body Heart excess trimmed_01-31-10.jpg

480-a04_Small Body Heart reinforced_01-31-10.jpg

480-a05a_Begin Fitting BT-50 in Base heart_01-31-10.jpg

I think the coke bottle "Kiss" Nosecone is gonna work out beautifully as it'll give be a good amount of space for nose weight should I need it and a screw off cap that'll hold it in.

480-a05b_Cross Stack Med Body Heart_01-31-10.jpg

480-b01a_20oz Coke Candy Kiss NC parts_02-02-10.jpg

480-b02b_Kiss NC Parts & centering dryfit_02-04-10.jpg

480-b03_Fitting Eposy installed & Cluster Plugs_02-06-10.jpg

480-b04_Adding Paper strip to Kiss NC_02-07-10.jpg

cutting holes for the bodytubes and motor mounts wasn't as much of a problem as first thought using a mototool to cut the rough openings then a drum sander to enlarge and shape the holes. Since these parts had to be mounted in the open box first cutting the holes in both box bottom and top had to be done seperately then matched up and evened out.
I decided to make the booster tubes termaniate outside the main with vent holes in the side and pressure holes in the sides of the box body. this should vent any burn-through pressure build up keep the casing in the booster tubes.
Each motor tube has been fitted with a wiper blade motor hook and a backup motor stop ring. in the main this motor stop also doubles as the kevlar 100lb shockline anchor point with an additional 3 feet of 1/8" elastic attaching the nosecone and 24" 6 heart shaped chute to the main body.
Medium size Heart boxes form the 3rd and 4th fins attached via slits in the Large base box lid and bottome with CA & epoxy. I'll add a little more area a bit later to equal out the fin area.

480-c01_Glue in BT-50 in base Heart half_02-05-10.jpg

480-d01_Pre-Painting exposed BT areas_02-06-10.jpg

480-e01_Cutting slits for Fin boxes_02-06-10.jpg

480-e02_Heart box fin epoxyed to base heart_02-07-10.jpg

After making up the twin booster tubes and cutting their opening in the Large heart box prepainting and adding ruby red glitter dressed up the parts making the look a little more like they belong in place. careful epoxy placement make finish the motor mount operations and let me finially CA and epoxy the base heart box closed into a single unit.
a bit of epoxy added to the BT-50 body tube a just the right places make the remaining heart box body coverings permanent and give the model it's finished shape.
OH! Good Grief!!! I almost did it again....what about Launch Lugs! I'm placing two pieces one on the forward end of the Large box body and the second on the 3rd body offset far enough to miss the Kiss Nosecone. Prepainting and Glittering help make this operation look like something other the the afterthought they actually are:)
so here's the bare bones look at the model configuration. Now to do a little decorating with the other stuff we picked up.

480-f01_Twin 18mm Motor mounts ready_02-07-10.jpg

480-f02_PrePainting twin 18mm Mounts_02-08-10.jpg

480-f03_18mm boosters Installed & epoxied_02-08-10.jpg

480-f04_.187in Launch Lugs pre Painted_02-08-10.jpg

480-g02_Base configuration Cluster View_02-07-10.jpg

Well after picking and choosing from the other things purchased I added a couple small heart boxes, lots of Roses, flowers and stuff to finish off the presentation.
so here she is. all 29-3/8" of her witha empty weigh of 339.8g (11.98ozs).
Haven't had a chance to get it outside to swing test but I think it will need a bit of nose weight. As she sits the CG is just a bit ahead of the Large heart leading edge.
Well thats it: The better 2/3rds Loves it, which make me very happy as well:) Darn Now I really have to get out the a store before Sunday to pick up some valentine goodies for her.

480-h02_After Flowers Added Closer_02-08-10.jpg

480-i01a_Completed construction & Kiss_02-08-10.jpg

480-i02a_Completed Construction Cluster view_02-08-10.jpg

480-i02b_Completed Construction Cluster View_02-08-10.jpg

Last edited:
John,

What if you glued two identical heart shaped boxes, 90 degrees apart with a tube up the middle and a nose cone.

Daniel

Dang!
Not a peep?

I kinda lost track of this one. We had snow here too (all time record set at the airport, but I had 2-3 inches more at my house than they did at DFW)

Looks like the Val-roc turned out amazingly well, you seem to have an "artsy-craftsy" knack for being able to slap these things together and actually make them look good! (Although I have to admit I was halfway expecting to see a clear plastic base disc for drag stabilization, and to be able to stand the rocket up on a shelf)

How did the launch go? What motors? Stable flight? What kind of altitude? How much of all that external junk fell off?

Did anyone else come anywhere close to having such a great Val-roc?

I kinda lost track of this one. We had snow here too (all time record set at the airport, but I had 2-3 inches more at my house than they did at DFW)

Looks like the Val-roc turned out amazingly well, you seem to have an "artsy-craftsy" knack for being able to slap these things together and actually make them look good! (Although I have to admit I was halfway expecting to see a clear plastic base disc for drag stabilization, and to be able to stand the rocket up on a shelf)

How did the launch go? What motors? Stable flight? What kind of altitude? How much of all that external junk fell off?

Did anyone else come anywhere close to having such a great Val-roc?

Thanks for the comments Powder! I'm Calling this one "Hearts & Flowers" for obvious reasons and the better 2/3rds liked the name:)

Yea I'm with ya! we has a little snow here in DC also. 28.4" officially at National Airport, but directly across the river I had 30.6" in my back yard.

Actually the model has a Clear Plastic 4"x 4" x 1/4" base with 1/2" clear rod & D12 casing "Stand" for display but I didn't have it handy when the pics are taken upstairs.
I was expecting to launch it this weekend at our scheduled club sport launch but the field is still under 30+ inches of snow so I doubt we'll be out there. That means Hearts & Flowers won't take to the air until sometime in March at the earliest. She will be flying on a D12-3 and 2-C6-0's for the first flight. I really don't expect any of the "dodads" to fall off as they are all installed in drilled openings, attached with epoxy. Some of the silk leaves of the flower may be flattened out a bit but I really don't expect to loose to many petals. I did get out in the hip deep snow on Sunday and she swing tests OK. I intend to add just a little nose weight just because before the first flight. I can always remove a bit or add more as needed:)

Just for laughs I tried simulating this thing....What a joke! a real Cardboard cutout of both sides is in the works to average the LCG to give me an Idea of the CP location but I'm still cutting out side two.

I hope to catch a photo or two of the flight and will post them whenever the world defrosts;)

Back