I'm still kicking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Reaction score
I received word from a few friends that some were asking if I was still around and kicking. I am and am currently traveling around on vacation. (Oklahoma at this time). I might not be in rocketry anymore but have attended a few launches in the past couple months. (How things have changed)
There is a possibility I might rejoin Tripoli and recertify at the Medford Oklahoma launch at the end of April as quite a few (old timers) have rejoined Tripoli and are flying again.

Ross Dunton
owner Magnum Rockets (1990-2005)
Tripoli 0996 (Expired)

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Details on the Medford launch? I fly w/ Tulsa Rocketry, but am always looking for nearby launches.

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I received word from a few friends that some were asking if I was still around and kicking. I am and am currently traveling around on vacation. (Oklahoma at this time). I might not be in rocketry anymore but have attended a few launches in the past couple months. (How things have changed)
There is a possibility I might rejoin Tripoli and recertify at the Medford Oklahoma launch at the end of April as quite a few (old timers) have rejoined Tripoli and are flying again.

Ross Dunton
Tripoli 0996 (Expired)
Well, Hope someday you might be able to return! Kurt

Reaction score
April 30th. I believe about a 12 or 13,000 ft waiver. It's Tripoli's newest prefecture. You can check their Facebook page. Tripoli Medford.

Ross

fyrwrxz

latest photo
Reaction score

Ross Dunton
Tripoli 0996 (Expired)
Ross- Holy Cow! Last I saw you was in a field somewhere handing out prepaid motors from the back of a box truck-years ago. I asked Barry where you were about 5 years ago and he said you were still kickin'! Welcome back!

iqsy59

Reaction score
The first organized launch I ever attended was Medford circa 1997. A vendor was introduced to me as "Radical Ross". It was a very memorable day for me!

I am very glad to hear you are still kicking. As a scale kit enthusiast, I still consider you to be among my most favorite vendors ever. I hope our paths will cross again one day...

Cheers,
Michael

markkoelsch

Reaction score
Yes, a voice from the past. Glad to hear you are well.

pyrobob

Reaction score
Hey Ross and nice to see you're still kicking! The last I saw you was around 2003 at your shop in Mechanicsburg (or Mechanicsville?) while I was traveling in Ohio. I filled in the gaps of my HPR magazine collection and a picked up a Magnum t-shirt which I still have (but don't believe I can still fit in :facepalm:). Check this post out from a few years back: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-Buying-Motors-out-of-Magnum-Rocketry-s-Truck

and

pyrobob

Reaction score
Do you recall the motor in that red, white, and blue rocket? I've got a lot more pictures but it was in Medford. Best guess is a J125W.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice to hear from you Ross. I too remember stopping by the store on my way back from Kubota school in Columbus, OH.
That was a few years (and a LOT more disposable income) ago...

Reaction score
Odds are it was a J125. The rocket was a Loc Caliper ISP. One of my favorite kits and motors. Back then I used high tech thrust rings with even higher tech motor retention.

pyrobob

Reaction score
The thrust ring and motor retainer really tie the rocket together :wink:.

Reaction score
Well in the 17 or 18 years of flying HPR, That high tech thrust rings and motor retention never failed once. Even when I clustered 5 Js and 2 Is out in Black Rock.

pyrobob

Reaction score
I still use masking tape to friction fit to this day. Never an issue either.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Do you just have launches for a day or do you have weekend launches for 2 days? Camping RV on site????

Reaction score
Do you just have launches for a day or do you have weekend launches for 2 days? Camping RV on site????
Im not the one putting on the launch. It would be best to contact Tyler Flaherty. He is the prefect for Tripoli Medford Ok. #152.
You can contact him thru Tripoli Medfords Facebook page.

Ross

Reaction score
Oops. Forgot part of the question. There is a no thrills RV park within about a mile. (Electric, Water, Sewer, Wifi. No Cable , Laundry or restrooms/Showers. $20 a night I believe.)