I'm just curious... How many rockets have my sims created?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've done more than a couple sims of some popular rockets over the years. I'm just curious, how many rocketeers have been inspired by seeing one of my sims of their old favorites, and deciding it was time to clone one, build the one hiding in the build pile, or scoring one from ebay and building it.

Of course, photos are greatly appreciated.

And in the event you're not familiar with my sims, I'll direct you to these threads:
Here's the link to the sim's index of the sims
and The actual thread...

I use your PSII sims as parts reference and base to build on for my sounding rockets.

I think I used your Arapahoe for a 13mm downscale.

I used your decal image collection (not on TRF) for a QCC downscale- I forgot to scan my originals before building.

This one will be turned into an 8 inch 14-16 feet long kit over the next two months, I will post photos once the build has been completed. You did a great job!!

Jerry ESAM-58 Upscale.png

Your sim inspired me to build a booster for my Citation Patriot and I've used several others as a basis to add my own mods to such as adding a ejection baffle, changing motor mount size, etc.

-Bob

Your work deserves its own website, or dedicated section. I’m mostly into scale kits and trying makers other than Estes. But if you happen to have what I’m looking for, of course I’ll use it.

I think a complete repository would be possible if anyone could contribute to it (“Open” style).

I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts and the "pretty pictures" you draw in OR. The skills you have are quite amazing!

Unfortunately my endeavors lie in High Power rockets, and most of your work is low/midpower.
So no I don't use your work for sims.

How "bout doing Madcows 5.5 Nike-Tomahawk...that I would love, since I am building one.

Thanks Jim!

Problem with HPR kits is that I have so little information on them. I do a lot of Binder Design because I have samples that I managed to collect (buy) and can work them up from there. With the LPR/MPR kits, much of it builds upon other parts I've got specs for. So, if I don't have the kit in hand, I can still digitally clone it because of the common parts.

Now if I had a sample ;) I'd be able to do one. Alternately, a very patient person to answer all my questions about measurements and materials would work. But the moment my next shipment arrives from the US, a few projects will take pole position. Namely the Maxi Brute Hojo. I owe Les BIG for that one. In the meantime, I might be able to drag out my Estes Pro Series Nike-Smoke and work on it some... If I can get some room freed up in my apartment.

BTW, I've got a secret project I'm working on, and I hope HPR builders will like it... A LOT!!! I'm just awaiting its arrival here.

Last edited:
The whole design, no not yet. However I took some inspiration from your paint scheme on the Excelerator for a few Darkstar kits I want to paint similar to our helicopter.

Attachments

• 20160424_140820~2.jpg
    20160424_140820~2.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 31
Well... do you remember this one?
29mm mod of Estes Big Daddy (Link).

full

It started life using your Big Daddy OR file.

BD 2018 launch.jpg
BD 2018 Recovery.jpg

Perhaps I could get a better feel of the number of rockets inspired by my sims, if folks were to "like" the sims they used to build/sim their builds.

I bought a bunch of tubes, glue and paint and put them right in front of my monitor. I started up a sim, but nothing happened. The sim didn't create any rockets. Help!

(Okay, somebody had to say it. 🥰)

Back