I'm going to build the biggest Deuce ever!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladiator1332

Reaction score
I am determined to make the biggest Deuce's Wild so far! I'm going to buy a Deuce kit and then buy some BT-60 body tubes. A normal Deuce is around 21 3/8", I'm planning to make one that is either 39 1/8", 57 1/8", or if I am really feeling crazy when I build this thing, a 75 1/8" Deuce.

What are the limitations for the Deuce? What is the tallest I can go and still launch it on 2 C engines? And more importantly where does the height begin to effect the safety of the rocket?

Oh yeah, I am also ordering a Richter Recker, so my next two projects are going to have to be built on the floor rather than my work table.

There is big and there is big...Carl's 38mm version is still the biggest, even though yours may be longer;)

Originally posted by gladiator1332
I don't really care if I build the biggest or not, I just want to build a big Deuce.

I am trying not to read between the lines here nor be discouraging, but you did lay a claim stating an attempt to "make the biggest Deuce's Wild so far!" I think Dick was just trying to clarify that most rocketeer's first impression of big would pretty much point towards Carl's 38 Special DW. Carl's DW, for all intents and purposes, is the "biggest" Deuce around. Of course, a 75 1/8" long Deuce would certainly take the cake in length!!!

I say go for it! Make the longest Deuce known to the rocketry world! ...and post pictures too!

I don't think you'll have a problem with stability. Those large fins and a long overall length will be just fine. Plus, when flown on 2 Cs, there will be more than enough thrust to get it up there.

Happy building!

When I said the biggest Deuce, I did mean in height. I'll deffinatley post pics one I get a digital camera.

Got to fly my Deuce yesterday at our Fun Fly. It is so impressive on 2-C6's and several were astonished at the performance on BP motors. This is one classic rocket. Not much wind so the dual smoke trails were well defined and got the most altitude of any flight I've had. Original, kit bashed, down or upscaled the Deuce is a winner.

Didn't mean to diminish your effort, hence my ;) Should be neat. If a Mean Machine flys well on a D12, the stretched Deuce should too. (C6 x 2 ~ D12).

correction ,,
someone has built a Duece AS big as Carls...I think it flew in the Mexican desert somewhere .
but Carls was/is the First.and therefore still holds the title

Yeah, I saw that other one somewhere. I'm with you though, Carl's 'da man!

"The Long Deuce", eh?

kewl *S*

You should be fine from all aspects (stability, lift, etc). The longer you make it the *more* stable it will become (watch for over stability and launch is low / no wind)

Will be *most* interested in what the final beast will look like and what paint jpattern you choose!

This sounds like an easy one - build an Estes Mean Machine clone (which is BT60 based), but put the Deuce motor mount in it. The fins won't make much difference - if you want to go with Deuce fins and nc, that's fine - should be no stability issues there.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you stack four 18" long body tubes with standard tube couplers, it's a tried and true design (see estes Mean Machine.) You should have no stability issues whatsoever going to the Deuce motor mount from the standard Mean Machine "D". With a Deuce nc, this would give you a rocket a shade over 75" tall. Add about 3" inches if you go with a PNC-60AH (standard Mean Machine)

Lots o' pics, please!

For what it's worth, I just took the RSim v5 file on the Deuce and added three 18" long body tubes and subsequent tube couplers. The rocket is way OVER stable, with static margins of 13.5 to almost 14.0 Sims to about 500 feet on two C6-5 engines. This is with a standard Deuce nose cone and fin set.

Should fly great in little to no wind - would probably weathercock quite a bit with very much breeze. I looked at the 2D flight profile sim'd with an 8 mph wind, and it doesn't lean in too bad.

Originally posted by rstaff3
Didn't mean to diminish your effort, hence my ;) Should be neat. If a Mean Machine flys well on a D12, the stretched Deuce should too. (C6 x 2 ~ D12).

But dont you lose thrust because the motors are canted?

Yeah Carls is still the best...I think the other one was built in Europe and flown of 2 I285 Redlines....One lit and went out and then the other lit. It was stable though

yea, but you only loose about 4%-6% of the thrust with the motors canted at 15 degrees, so it really isn't all that much.

Originally posted by Fore Check
For what it's worth, I just took the RSim v5 file on the Deuce and added three 18" long body tubes and subsequent tube couplers. The rocket is way OVER stable, with static margins of 13.5 to almost 14.0 Sims to about 500 feet on two C6-5 engines. This is with a standard Deuce nose cone and fin set.

Should fly great in little to no wind - would probably weathercock quite a bit with very much breeze. I looked at the 2D flight profile sim'd with an 8 mph wind, and it doesn't lean in too bad.

As with any cluster you also have to consider the flight path if only one motor lights. This past weeken, on its 7th flight, only one C6-5 lit (our club's launcher was flakey all day). My Deuce arced over and lawndarted before ejection. (Luckily the CA treated tip of the nose held up and I only have one ding. No other damage, glad the ground was soft!)

Actually the "Mexican" Deuce was a "Spanish/Itallian" Deuce. flown by Giacomo Bosso.

Mr. Bosso is from Italy and frew his Deuce at a meet in Spain.

Giacomo is pronounced jock/ e / mo

His Deuce was actually a bit bigger than Carl's because he was using a standard LOC nose cone not a Deuce's Wild nose cone.

I have invited him to join our forum...we only have a few Italian members...we could use more.

I am currently making him a 4" Deuce 2:1 nose cone out of poplar.

sandman

I wonder who will be the first to build a micromaxx duece, thus qualifying for the worlds smallest duece......

micro duece? nano duece?

Originally posted by rstaff3
There is big and there is big...Carl's 38mm version is still the biggest, even though yours may be longer;)

Nobody's built a 5.5" one with a pair of K185's?

Maybe a project in the making...

yep, the "Diminutive Deuce" (MMX Deuce's Wild!) is a great little rocket :) My first flight was an odd one with one motor lighting, buring out then the other one igniting and buring then deployment. very weird flight.

After that, i'm about 3 for 3 (i think it's 3 flights)...

hard to see though as she *leaps* off the pad, even under MMX power.

jim

Back