I'm about to cut out a spill hole in all of my parachutes.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
Justifications:

- Less drifting.
- It looks better.
- It looks easy to do.
- It allows for a smoother airflow.
- If sufficiently small, the descent rate isn't very much.
- I suspect the only good reason most manufacturers don't add a spill hole is because the added cost wouldn't increase sales or margins.

My only hesitation at this point:
Will there be fraying if the material is nylon? And if so, what's the best way to deal with it.

You can try to use a soldering iron to singe the edges on a nylon chute to minimize fraying. This may make the edges a bit stiffer when folding.
But after several uses the singed part may "crack" and allow fraying again.
The proper way on a nylon chute is to fold the edge over and sew it.

Have you considered reefing the chute (shortening the shroud lines) instead? Minimizes drift, non-permanent. Use tape or tie a knot further up the shroud lines. Keeps the chute from fully opening.

In regards to reefing you can use a launch lug. A small one at that and run the shroud lines through it. This will allow the chute to open slowly and drift less? Just a thought?

If you are going to cut holes in nylon chutes find someone with a ‘serger’ - a special sewing machine that makes edges. They can finish the cut edges so they’ll look good and not fray.

Tony

For LP/MP, I seldom pair chutes with individual rockets. I keep an "active" chute in each size and, thanks to snap swivels on each, I can swap 'em as needed. If a vent hole seems necessary, I can cut it (if I don't already have an active with a vent) and pull out a new chute of that size for when a vent hole isn't prudent.

Back