I'll Worry When; "It's The Size Of Texas Mr. President".

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only if you could watch from, say, Venus or somewhere similarly far away.

About 10 years ago I was at the National Air and Space museum in Washington DC and they had a cool animation of the impact and formation of the moon. You watched it reclined in a lounge seat, and it was projected on a dome above you. Pretty cool.

I wish to express my heartfelt gratitude for the well-reasoned replies to my post regarding the relative sizes of the Chicxulub asteroid
Who cares about what unit of measurement's are used or the relative size of the asteroid to Earth.
First, try coming-up with a name for it that people can actually pronounce!!

My only problem with the "Impact Theory" of the Moon's formation is that it reads too much like Velikovsky.

Last edited:
A good way to begin to get used to metric-denominated lengths is to learn one’s own height in centimetres (for example, 175 cm which equals 1.75 m). Then, as you go about your day’s business, you can compare your height to objects nearby. Or as rocketeers, we always have our rockets in mind. So for the person who is 1.75 m tall, a two-metre rocket is a bit taller than they are, and a rocket that measures one-and-a-half metres in length is a bit shorter than they are.

Be careful--that path leads to the Smoot! I regularly estimate sizes at work using cubits and great spans. Knowing that my cubit is about 20" and my span is about 9" makes it easy to check that installed structure matches drawings without busting out a measuring tape.

FYI: If you haven't seen "Don't look up" (on Netflix); it's exactly this problem, but the issue is that as the scientists try to get the word out, nobody cares. The Media doesn't understand the problem and billionaires are trying to profit from the approaching space object. Watch this movie, it's so on-target, so correct about how America treats encroaching crisii with "meh" (an analogy for climate change), you'll be face-palming at how right the science people are and how wrong everyone else is. It's brilliant.

Hi @ThirstyBarbarian and everyone else,

Thank you for your nice reply.

Incidentally, you taught me about two measurement units that I did not know existed — the butt and the flagon. Since I am highly interested in weights and measures, I looked up those terms and was genuinely glad to learn about them.

Stanley
How did we neglect to mention the humble Hogshead (63 gallons, not sure if that US gallons or Imperial gallons) or a Port Pipe which is also known as a "double hogshead" but is 145 gallons and not 126 as you'd guess from the name.

How did we neglect to mention the humble Hogshead (63 gallons, not sure if that US gallons or Imperial gallons) or a Port Pipe which is also known as a "double hogshead" but is 145 gallons and not 126 as you'd guess from the name.
Firkens, hands, fathoms, chains, barleycorns, spindles, hanks, poncelets...

FYI: If you haven't seen "Don't look up" (on Netflix); it's exactly this problem, but the issue is that as the scientists try to get the word out, nobody cares. The Media doesn't understand the problem and billionaires are trying to profit from the approaching space object. Watch this movie, it's so on-target, so correct about how America treats encroaching crisii with "meh" (an analogy for climate change), you'll be face-palming at how right the science people are and how wrong everyone else is. It's brilliant.
Funny movie...my wife just put it on tonight and I watched it again.

These articles don’t even use units metric, imperial or barleycorns.
It is always Eiffel Tower, Golden Gate Bridge (does that include the approaches or just the suspension span?).

And another thing.
Movies show meteors burning way out, several earth diameters, 16,000 miles-must follow own rule. Using our two foot globe the atmosphere is (100 miles atmosphere, 8000 miles earth diameter. 24“/80= 0.3”) 0.3 inches thick.

These articles don’t even use units metric, imperial or barleycorns.
It is always Eiffel Tower, Golden Gate Bridge (does that include the approaches or just the suspension span?).

And another thing.
Movies show meteors burning way out, several earth diameters, 16,000 miles-must follow own rule. Using our two foot globe the atmosphere is (100 miles atmosphere, 8000 miles earth diameter. 24“/80= 0.3”) 0.3 inches thick.
I don't remember the exact number, but I think if you scale the breathable depth of the atmosphere to a basketball, it's on the order of .005". I think I used 13,000 ft, above which most of us need supplemental oxygen. FWIW...

Latest posts

Back