iHobby October 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both my son and myself are there, bright and early Saturday morning as the doors open.

Am also trying to convince RangerStL to attend.

I was gonna say 'wow, planning for something 14 months from now..You guys really plan ahead!' :roll:

Me and my son will be there Thursday but we won't have a booth as my sister had to plan a wedding that week end. So I have to be in VA. But we have some big anouncements to make then. Lets just say my distributors are already amped about it.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Thingie

I'd like to go, as I'm only an hour away, I just wish there were more rocketry vendors - only 2 this year. In 2006, there were 6 that I recall - aerotech, apogee, balsa machining, flis, quest, semroc.

Yea 2006 was a banner year indeed. IIRC, the price of being a vendor at this expo pushes people away.

I think he meant 2009, as 2010's event isn't open yet.
Had the mods change the title. Thanks to the mods.
I was gonna say 'wow, planning for something 14 months from now..You guys really plan ahead!' :roll:
As for 2010, I actually had to phone and get the dates as a nephew is getting married next year and I needed to know the dates.
I'd like to go, as I'm only an hour away, I just wish there were more rocketry vendors - only 2 this year. ....
But there is a lot more to do. And an hour in not that far. Besides, there is always me :clap:
Yea 2006 was a banner year indeed. IIRC, the price of being a vendor at this expo pushes people away.
Exhibitors get a reduced rate for the first 2 years. More of not getting enough retail sales - other local retailers have a much bigger selection and do more business as a result.

I tend to go every other year. They charge a bit too much for everthing (entrance fee, parking, food) to make it really worth it most of the time. 2006 was indeed a great year with all the rocket vendors.

It's a great show if you're into RC because it seems that's what the majority of vendors sell. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of new stuff introduced that appeals to me.

I'm still unsure. It all depends on whether or not any other rocketry vendors attend. In any event, I'd probably just go myself rather than bring the family like in previous years. Just too much money to bring the wife & kids along.

Another thing-- it's getting to be dissapointing to see new products announced by vendors (not just rocketry) and never see the products appear on the shelves. Fantasy land :)

We're up to 3 rocketry companies + NAR & Tripoli.

Estes-Cox
Quest
Sunward

I'd really like to see Aerotech there - it seems fewer shops are carrying Aerotech these days, and simply carrying low power. I wonder if some exposure at iHobby would help? I sure enjoyed talking with Gary in 2006.

And BMS too, we need more LHS carrying parts!

Don't you mean, two rocketry and one toy company? ;)

Also, booth prices are sky high. I can't blame some of the people for not attending.

Also, booth prices are sky high. I can't blame some of the people for not attending.

The days of the traditional trade show are rapidly coming to a close. There's this thing called "the Internet" which reaches far more people at a much lower cost. <G>

Seriously, in the tech world many, many firms have declared a moratorium on trade show attendance, and are redirecting these marketing dollars in different directions. It would not be surprising to see that trend migrate to other industries.

James

....Quest..
Since when? News to me.
..And BMS too, we need more LHS carrying parts!
Uhm, they seem to do very little business with local hobby shops. So them being there would have no impact.
Don't you mean, two rocketry and one toy company? ;)....
cruel.
...Also, booth prices are sky high. I can't blame some of the people for not attending.
Not really an excuse. The first two years are at a lower rate. After that normal prices. And they are comparable to other shows. I also got cheap and booked a cheap motel this year. I will also be bringing my own table and 2 chairs in addition to the display.
The days of the traditional trade show are rapidly coming to a close. There's this thing called "the Internet" which reaches far more people at a much lower cost. ...
I disagree with this. Yes the internet has had an impact. But trade shows still serve a purpose and will be around for a long time.

sunward said:
....Quest..
Since when? News to me.
Booth 2107, according to https://www.ihobbyexpo.com/ExhibitorLists.html, look under "Q".

sunward said:
..And BMS too, we need more LHS carrying parts!
Uhm, they seem to do very little business with local hobby shops. So them being there would have no impact.
While they *may* do very little business with LHSs, isn't the whole point of attending trade shows to get exposure within a specific industry, and potentially expand a company's market? *If* BMS wanted to do that, *and* felt it was viable, this would seem to be a good place for such exposure. I stand by my point that we (hobbyists) need more LHSs carrying parts. I'd really like to be able to pick up a nose cone, or a body tube, or whatever other part locally, and quickly, rather than paying the shipping and waiting when I just need a small part. More than once, I've been browsing in a LHS when someone comes in looking for a part to repair their rocket, only to be told by the folks working there that they can't help. I'll direct them to various online sources, but they're inevitably disappointed they can't get a simple part at the store they bought the rocket in.

While it would be great for LHS's to carry the parts we need, it's also true that one of the highest costs for any industry is their sitting inventory. Unless you have a rock solid demand forecasting model, based on actual past purchases, sitting inventory is simply money out of a retailer's pocket "hoping" that these items will eventually sale.

I can see it from a LHS owner perspective, and having seen actual BMS parts on the rack in a retail store, why would I carry a variety of items in my inventory on the hope that they might sell one day? I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a few LHS's and seen the same exact items on the shelves for a year or two, if not more.

Also, it might be interesting if some of the vendors who frequent TRF and aren't attending iHobby share with us why not? I could take a reasonable guess and think it might have to do with the actual costs of attending (vendor fees, union fees for set up, hotels, meals, etc.) compared with how many distributors actually picked them and their products up. I think if there was a market, we'd see Fliskits, Semroc, BMS, etc. there more often.

Still though, I'm there for iHobby this year. It's the closest hobby trade show in my area, and my son loves it.

I would love to have a booth there again this year, But thanks to my sisters timing I have to be in VA that Saturday. A one day booth is not cost effective. Buy I will be there walking around Thursday. I'll Be back next year.
Mr Bob
Starlight junkie
www.starlightrocketry.com

For the vendors, who are either attending or have attended in year's past, is the cost for this show cost prohibitive? Or do you see a good return on investment?

For the vendors, who are either attending or have attended in year's past, is the cost for this show cost prohibitive? Or do you see a good return on investment?

I got a far better return from the HobbyTown USA show in Lincoln, NE. We go there every other year.

The iHobby show gives the appearance of reasonable prices, but then things begin to add up quick. I don't know the actual prices this year but you get a booth for a given price. Electricity is extra (if I recall), chairs, tables, back drops etc, all extra (very high cost too). Internet access is certainly prohibitively expensive there. Add to that if you need to put anything up that requires using a chair or step ladder, or to get your materials into and/or out of the show, it's a union house so that costs you (not just money, but time while waiting for someone to do it).

Add to this the hotel costs and meals and it really adds up. Lastly, I found very limited interest from the retailers in low cost items, such as rocketry. Most were there viewing the bigger ticket items (this was feedback that I got from dozens of retailers who visited our booth). That may be different now, due to the economy, but I don't know.

The HobbyTown show has a single fixed price for a 10X10 booth. This includes electricity, as many chairs/tables as you may need, internet access, all the help you could ask for, bottles of cold water while you're setting up, a suite in a luxury hotel and more food than you could eat. They also close the show down during lunch and dinner so that you don't have to eat in shifts (I hated having to go eat while Kathy watched our iHobby booth and visa-versa). Much more relaxing and ended up costing about the same amount of money.

At the iHobby show we picked up 1 hobby shop with 3 possibles that didn't pan out.

At the HobbyTown show we picked up 15 shops and get pinged by others from time to time.

fwiw
jim

I live in a suburb of Chicago and used to exhibit in a number of different gift shows (Merchandise Mart, in Chicago years ago. The union fees at these shows are ridiculous. They forced you to pay to have someone plug your extension cords (electrical union) and there was a huge surcharge for the tablecloth (decorating union). You also had to pay union fees to have someone cart your products from the parking lot below, onto the elevator, and wheel it to your booth.

The city of Chicago is so bad off financially that the also tax all of these pathetic services at a really high rate. Add pay tolls on top of that, outrageous food pricing, parking fees, and there's go any chance at profit.

The various things that you are forced to pay for have varied over the years but are basically extremely ridiculous and have resulted in making these sorts of shows more and more useless for smaller vendors.

.... I stand by my point that we (hobbyists) need more LHSs carrying parts. ....
Hobby stores have very little interest in carrying parts for rockets.
....The iHobby show ... begin to add up quick ....Electricity is extra (if I recall), chairs, tables, back drops etc, all extra (very high cost too). Internet access ...
I am bringing my own chairs, table and have my own backdrop display. So not a concern.
.... Add to that if you need to put anything up that requires using a chair or step ladder, or to get your materials into and/or out of the show, it's a union house so that costs you (not just money, but time while waiting for someone to do it).....
Unless you have a large or powered display, you don't have extra expenses. As for so called union charges, I have never been charged for one. No problem getting my stuff in or out.
I got a far better return from the HobbyTown USA show in Lincoln, NE. We go there every other year.
Really! Maybe I should attend?

But then again, I got reports last year's was slow and not well attended. I heard a rumor stores paid a fine instead of attending.

And the show is way more expense than ihobby.
I live in a suburb of Chicago and used to exhibit in a number of different gift shows (Merchandise Mart, in Chicago years ago. The union fees at these shows are ridiculous. They forced you to pay to have someone plug your extension cords (electrical union) and there was a huge surcharge for the tablecloth (decorating union). You also had to pay union fees to have someone cart your products from the parking lot below, onto the elevator, and wheel it to your booth.....
May be the case for other shows, but you are allowed a certain weight of goods to be brought in at no charge.

Bump. About a month away.

Anyone else confirm they're going. The kids are begging to go, which is fine by me.

Bump. About a month away.

Anyone else confirm they're going. The kids are begging to go, which is fine by me.
Well, I can't confirm, but I'm hoping to take my son, on Saturday.

It's a very expensive and time-consuming show to attend. The lack of dealer and distributor participation last year was astounding. I had originally decided not to go this year, but we're going to market a new product as an experiment...we'll have a minimalist presence with a "show special". The response will determine if we attend again.

It's a very expensive and time-consuming show to attend. The lack of dealer and distributor participation last year was astounding. I had originally decided not to go this year, but we're going to market a new product as an experiment...we'll have a minimalist presence with a "show special". The response will determine if we attend again.

I may see you there Gary!

Back