Ignitor Pyrogen

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make 150 igniter blanks today. I wrapped the nicrome and still soldered. I cussed in my head the whole time because I know it is not needed. My goal is 300 igniters by the end of the weekend.

I think one is "supposed" to use an acid flux and then neutralize it when done if soldering. I used to solder but gave it up when I just got a tight wire wrapping tool. I suppose if I went to large clusters, I'd go back to soldering plus checking the resistance with a meter to try to make sure the motors would light at roughly the same time.
Staging takes a low current igniter and that's an entirely different animal.
I haven't had very many failures of an igniter and with a single stager, I can afford to walk back out and put a new igniter in if necessary.

Kurt

I think one is "supposed" to use an acid flux and then neutralize it when done if soldering. I used to solder but gave it up when I just got a tight wire wrapping tool. I suppose if I went to large clusters, I'd go back to soldering plus checking the resistance with a meter to try to make sure the motors would light at roughly the same time.
Staging takes a low current igniter and that's an entirely different animal.
I haven't had very many failures of an igniter and with a single stager, I can afford to walk back out and put a new igniter in if necessary.

Kurt

I did neutralize the flux.

Nobody has mentioned matchsticks- I've wondered if you could scrape the red stuff off the ends of matches and put it on an igniter. If I was doing it I would crush the stuff a little bit at a time, dip the igniter in the nail polish and then dip it in the powder.

I didn't have any nail polish so I tried some igniter experiments tonight. I found some stranded steel wire, the strands measured 0.006" which could be 34 or 35 gage. I dipped the bridge wire in polyurethane and then into match powder. I couldn't get any of them to ignite using a 20V Lithium drill battery. Back to the drawing board.

I have a tiny bit of old nichrome left from Estes BP motors, long ago. I just measured it at just under 0.008" diameter which would be 32 gage, significantly thicker than the steel wire I was using today. I have a few old composite motors that I would like to launch, 24mm single use, so I need to make a few small igniters. For just a couple of engines it's not worth buying an igniter kit or even paying the shipping for a pack of commercial igniters.

Last edited:
Nobody has mentioned matchsticks- I've wondered if you could scrape the red stuff off the ends of matches and put it on an igniter. If I was doing it I would crush the stuff a little bit at a time, dip the igniter in the nail polish and then dip it in the powder.

NOTE : Beware of "Strike-Anywhere" matches !

Also, the chemical composition may become inert if exposed to moisture.

Dave F.

NC lacquer (real stuff) is WAY cheaper than replacing mil-surplus 7.62 right now....
I agree, but I bought some really crappy indian ammo that some idiot cleaned with a vibratory cleaner that blew up at least one gun. Not shooting it for sure, lol.
Only usable for brass and raw materials, at this point.

I agree, but I bought some really crappy indian ammo that some idiot cleaned with a vibratory cleaner that blew up at least one gun. Not shooting it for sure, lol.
Only usable for brass and raw materials, at this point.
Gotcha, that is totally understandable.

Back