Igniting mp clusters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
What is a good igniter to use to ignite MP clusters? After reading reviews on some it seems the only way to go is to dip, but id rather not do that (yet)

thanks

--sheeepy

Unless you want to spend a lot of money on premade igniters, dipping is still the best way to go. Its not that hard, and hazardous as long as you use common sense (don't smoke near that bottle... etc). Many people recommend quickburst, although I have been disapointed by them.. A good relay launch system is a must too, but those are easy to build.

As long as the launch controller is a heavy duty type (e.g. Gell-Cell and Heavy Relay), why not just use the igniters that come with the motors? As long as they work well with single motors and the controller provides enough juice for the entire set, won't they work just as well in a cluster?

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the standard for reliable launches for clustered motors should be markedly higher than for single motor launches. I.e. a motor/igniter/setup combination that ignites 95% of the time is not too bad for single motors. One launch in 20, you'll have to push the button again, re-attach the clips, replace the igniter, etc. Livable.

That same rate (per motor) in a mere three-motor cluster results in about an 85.7% success rate, with the remaining percentage divided among single, double, and triple engine failures. Worse, the most common failures are the ones where some motors fire and some fail. This can be a bigger problem than the all-or-nothing results. The rocket may leave the launch rod unstable, or it may fail to achieve enough altitude to safely recover. At the least, it will waste some of your engines on an unsatisfactory result.

For that reason, the igniters, launch controller, wiring techniques, etc. must be of a higher standard if cluster launches are to be successful.

I guess dipped igniters are more reliable, especially for mid-power and above?

stock igniters for composite motors are not addiquete for clustering. Copperheads are a no-no because they take more juice to fire, and they are not that reliable. FireFirsts are ok igniters, but Aerotech says not intended for clustering. They are not as effective as magnelite, but I use them with aerotech loads in single motor operation (dipped in Magnelite also)

Yea magnelites don't take too much heat to fire, which depends on the resistance of teh wire you use.

I tired them. They are good when they work. However, I think they have a short shelf life because after a couple launches, they just pop :(. And I see other people having problems with them too.

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
has anyone ever used these?

https://www.quickburst.net/twiggy.htm

i heard that they were good, but last time i checked on EMRR the "slim jim" was too big for econojet motors, so i think the "twiggy" is new

has anyone ever used these?

https://www.quickburst.net/twiggy.htm

i heard that they were good, but last time i checked on EMRR the "slim jim" was too big for econojet motors, so i think the "twiggy" is new

I recently picked up a couple packs of them. I'll use them looooong before I use a copperhead again. If nothing else (based on n3tjm's comments), they're worth trying for $10 (for a 10 pack)... IMHO, the Twiggys are great for those AT 29/40-120 reloads :)

HTH,

Do not, I repeat do not use Firefly igniters. I've had like 10% or less success rate

Originally posted by GL-P
Do not, I repeat do not use Firefly igniters. I've had like 10% or less success rate

Same here. I have about 2 left.... I don't even bother using them... instead I get out my nichrome, wire, and soldering iron... and my magnelite pyrogen. Works all the time :)

Yeah, we got an igniter making kit. Gotta find some free time!:D

I've heard the twiggies are good, however they have a pertty varying ignition time. Magnelites aren't more expensive, you can control how much pyrogen there is on the head, and one bottle will make a few hundred igniters. If it dries out, use acetone to restore it. (not nail polish remover, you can buy a gallon jug at Rockit Depot)

What is a good igniter to use to ignite MP clusters? After reading reviews on some it seems the only way to go is to dip, but id rather not do that (yet)

thanks

--sheeepy
Short Answer:
A Relay system with pre & post installation tested igniters. I hate to send you to another location but Please visit narhams.org in the library section under Tech-tips find "006 Clustering Black Poweder Motors" it a 320k how to for relay ignition of standard igniter clusters up 8 motors. I use the system up to 12 motors;)
If you use the system, all 3 parts, you will be successful at least with BP motors. 30 some years of clusters 9 logged unlit motors. ya can't argue with success!
Hope this helps

By this time next year, everyone will say the following:

For BP motors: use Quest Q2 igntiers.

For AP motors: use Quest Q2 igniters dipped in Magnelite pyrogen.

https://www.rocketflite.com/products.asp

thanks

--sheeepy

thanks guys

i guess ill scrounge up the money and go ahead and get the magnelite shtuff

Back