igniting Copperheads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Yes yes, I have read quite a bit about Copperheads (of which some refer to as Crapperheads), and how they take up lots of current.

What's the most copperheads and one has ever ignited in a cluster? I tried three today, and they didn't work. I'm not sure if there was a short somewhere because I used clip whips that had jagged jaws, or if I was attempting to ignite too many copperheads.

Oh, the battery was one of those large (lead acid I think) ones. I taped opposite sides on the ignitor in two different places. I ended up removing the two outboard motors, and ignited the center one succesfully.

Errrr......get some better ignitors.

Clustering with copperheads is a definate no no.

Probably with three, most of the time it wouldn't be a cluster, it would just be one motor that would actually light.

Get some good ignitors, others could recomend good ones, but please, please don't use copperheads in a cluster

So I've heard about dipping e-matches in pyrogen. Does anyone have any comments about that?

So far I have lit off two diffrent composits in 2 motor clusters. Blue Thunder and White Lightning reloads. I used Daveyfire N28B's dipped in Magnelite with a 12 volt system using a motorcycle battery. I had instantanious ignition every time. The N28B's can allso be used for electronics so thats why I went with them.

Also, remember that most e-matches require a LEUP to buy.

Edward

Originally posted by Zippy
So far I have lit off two diffrent composits in 2 motor clusters. Blue Thunder and White Lightning reloads. I used Daveyfire N28B's dipped in Magnelite with a 12 volt system using a motorcycle battery. I had instantanious ignition every time. The N28B's can allso be used for electronics so thats why I went with them.

You may want to try dipping N28F's instead of N28B's. As I remember, I always called the F-flame and the B-bursts. If the match jsut pops really quickly, it may just blow off all of the pyrogen without lighting it. YMMV

Originally posted by edwardw
Also, remember that most e-matches require a LEUP to buy.

Edward

I've got some on their way from Performance Hobbies. Boy are they slow! I ordered them two weeks ago, then when one week had passed, I called to check on my order. The guy working there said he thought he was out of the ematches, but found out he had them that night. But when I ordered them, he cleary said he had atleast 100! He then said he would ship via USPS Priority Mail because he was late, but he had already charged my $10 for shipping, so I was already expecting something faster than First Class. Still no box!

Originally posted by solrules
You may want to try dipping N28F's instead of N28B's. As I remember, I always called the F-flame and the B-bursts. If the match jsut pops really quickly, it may just blow off all of the pyrogen without lighting it. YMMV

Well if you want the 28F's you had better get them where you can find them. Daveyfire has stopped producing them and is reworking the whole product line. It seems that had some issues with suppliers which caused them enough trouble that they had to change the whole line.

They are now called DaveyFireX matches.

You can find this information on there new web site.

https://www.daveyfire-works.com/

If you contact them for information do not tell them that you are wanting them for rocketry as they do not like there product used for rockets at all.

Scott

Originally posted by solrules

I haven't had a problem with that and I dip them thick.

first fire jr's are great ignitors...a little pricey though. but they work awesome. i used one on my G80 2 days ago and wammo, instant ignition.

I like the PML ML-12's. Instant ignition, and they work great in clusters too.

I did a cluster not to long ago of two E30-7's with first fire Jr's.

perfect launch... would definately consider those ignitors again.

if your investing that much time and sweat into a cluster rocket..a nd the money into several AP motors... dont chance the crapperheads...

just my opi-onion anyway..

later
Jerryb

I've fired Five Copperheads successfully. They were static, however.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
I've got some on their way from Performance Hobbies. Boy are they slow!

You have to be patient with Ken Allen. If you order something from him, you will get it. His Hobbyshop is in a trailer, and he travels, so a lot of times when you call him to place an order, he is on the road. If that is the case, he would say he believes he has them, he is going by memory. But, if he is wrong, he has a new order coming in right away. He always gets stuff in. Another problem I have found is how slow the mail is... The longest I waited was over a week, almost two weeks, and I know he mailed the package the day I ordered it. I imagine e-matches are shipped by UPS also, they can be slow to if going by ground.

Use Magnelite igniters. I have over 99.9% ignition sucess rate with them, and they are GREAT for clusters. Even better than FirstFires. Largest motor cluster I have done with them is seven G35's in my American Spirit.

Latest posts

Back