Igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frewi80

Reaction score
Need a bunch of igniters for deployment charges. forgot were to order them, can somebody give me the link to this person again ? I think his name is Jim... So sorry to post that here.

I use bulk electronic matches for deployment charges with BP. Only 25 cents each and very reliable. Make sure you continuity check them and test them with your altimeter battery. I also use these for motor ignitors, but I dip them in CA glue then in BP or left over propellant.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324252073852
I've been using these Chinese ematches for 5 years now, multiple batches. About a 2% continuity failure rate upon initial check and a very disturbing 5% failure rate in actual flight. That's 8/100 failing COMPLETELY....and you never really know when you're going get 'that one' that ruins an otherwise perfect day.

And yes, all the ones that have failed in flight have been 'good' for continuity both on the bench and in the rocket electronics at the field.

Since I switched to MJG firewire ematches, 100% success rate. In fact, of the 3 fields that I fly routinely (Battlepark, MDRA, and Bayboro), I don't even know of anyone that's had a single MJG failure.....but nearly everyone who's used the 'orange wires' has a story.....YMMV.

Seriously, with the most critical part of the flight being a safe recovery......why cheap out? Now I ONLY use the Chinese ematches for ground tests.

Last edited:
Wow. Those are really high failure rates. I’ve probably burned about 150 and don’t recall ever having one fail continuity or ignition. I’ve talked to other pyros that use “orangies” for firework shows and they report less than .5% failure rates. Agree that YMMV and batches aren’t all the same and the system surrounding the ignitors are different, so your own testing is important.

Several years ago I bought a box of the MJG firewires. I had 100% failure rate even though they tested fine. Fortunately, I had redundancy for both drogue and main that were fired with Quest Q2's. I contacted MJG and when I told them the lot number they said that they had gotten a bad raw material. Apparently, when customers started complaining about the firewires failing their examination found that a raw material was out of spec. So they replaced my box at no charge. Since then, I've used another box and a half with no problems. I still use Quests as a backup but my supply of those is really low. (I had bought a bunch of bulk packs of the Quest motors just to get the igniters.)

I had about 5 fail out maybe 200 or so used. Please, use an Ohm meter it is better than just checking for continuity. I use them only for ignition. I use Firewires for deployment. Only 1 has failed in about 4-5 boxes or so that I've used.

ebay firework starters.

I’ve been using these for years. I test each one with an ohm meter, and I always twist two together so each deployment charge has two starters in it. I’ve never had a failure as long as power gets to them. They’re cheap and I’ve never had one fail my ohm meter test. I double them up just to be safe and because they’re so cheap it costs almost nothing for that extra bit of redundancy.

I only use the Chinese orange ones. Never had one fail resistance test that I can remember.

I hope that when you have one fail continuity, you stick a battery to it and see what happens.

I only use the Chinese orange ones. Never had one fail resistance test that I can remember.

I hope that when you have one fail continuity, you stick a battery to it and see what happens.
With every single pre-inspection failure, I put it on a battery = none fired.
With every single post-flight crash, I put a battery on it = only 1 ever fired, but it took several attempts.

I have been using these for launches. estes motors just tape in place. 0 failures. don't think i would use them for deploy or air start. they do light fast,,& hard....👍

With every single pre-inspection failure, I put it on a battery = none fired.
With every single post-flight crash, I put a battery on it = only 1 ever fired, but it took several attempts.
Sorry you've had such trouble. Maybe they are sending me all the good ones and you the bad ones. :(

When the ones who make the laws (make no mistake, due deference means BATFE makes law) don't know their own area of "expertise"............

Worst -- Terry

I've been dealing with the F part of BATFE professionally for over 30 years now.......never once has it NOT been a poop show........

due deference means BATFE makes law
Not sure what you mean by this. I worked for a federal agency (I am not sure what the difference between an agency and a bureau is, but I don't think it matters here.) We did not make the laws, the legislative branch did. I expect legislators probably consult both the private sector (lobbyist) and professionals within the agency (bureau). Our experts in USDA ranged from part time farmers to academics. I don't know if BAFE has technical expertise. Except for the unlikely rocketeer or the more likely occasional black powered enthusiast, the informed opinion is nowhere near the floor of the legislator.

Your average rank and file federal employee is just someone who was to do a good job. They do not make the laws, but they are directed by them.

Just trying is understand what you mean. Sorry I was off topic.

Not sure what you mean by this. I worked for a federal agency (I am not sure what the difference between an agency and a bureau is, but I don't think it matters here.) We did not make the laws, the legislative branch did. I expect legislators probably consult both the private sector (lobbyist) and professionals within the agency (bureau). Our experts in USDA ranged from part time farmers to academics. I don't know if BAFE has technical expertise. Except for the unlikely rocketeer or the more likely occasional black powered enthusiast, the informed opinion is nowhere near the floor of the legislator.

Just trying is understand what you mean. Sorry I was off topic.
The powers that be at BATFE decide what goes in the Orange Book (list of explosives). If they deem that Sensodyne toothpaste is explosive because it contains potassium nitrate...it is then legally an explosive and must be stored in a proper magazine. That is what happened with APCP. It was added to the list because they decided that it was an explosive. No testing necessary, and that pronouncement certainly had the force of law. It took over ten years and roughly three-quarters of a million dollars to get them to remove it from the list.

Best -- Terry

I guess I was just picking nits. I still stand by what I said. BAFTE does not make laws. The law may says something like the BAFTE shall have the power to regulate explosives. The bureau then has authority to write a regulation the includes the definition of what an explosives is. Your are correct to have a beef with BATFE who wrote the regulation, not the legislature who wrote the law. I expect that you would want some government oversight of "significant" explosives. I will grant you that is hard to change an established regulation or one one that an agency is headstrong in changing. But, I believe, what you sought was a change in regulation, not law. To further murk the already murky waters, a good strategy to change a regulation is to get legislatures (yes, law makers) to put pressure on the bureau to change its regulation. Still, no laws are made or changed. Sorry, once a bureaucrat, always a bureaucrat. I just want it be right.

Last edited:
the problem is how they [aTF] interprets the law. there is no consistency region to region.

yes they don't write them.how they are enforced varies greatly...there is the rub.

You just haven't lived till You try to deal with the E.P.A. .Each inspector seams to have their own set of rules . Ask for a copy or where a copy can be obtained
and they give You that 1000 yard stare . Not doing what they say will bring the wrath of God {Fed, Gov. } on You.

If the ATF has a "watch list", I am sure we are all on it. It has not stopped me from getting a security clearance so it must not mean much.

I really do not care for open-ended laws that allow agencies to restrict the rights of Americans. I am all about safety, but there must be limits. They should not be able to just declare something an explosive. Watermelons appear to explode when shot with a 50 cal, that does not make a watermelon an explosive.

Are you guys kiddin?? Try dealing with the DOT. Each state is different, each inspector in each state is different. Even though all the rules are in the big green book, they all read them as they please. God forbid you try to point out something. I have been detained due to my truck not having a period after the letter "G". On the MCS-150 form it had a period after the "G". Inspector said it had to match, so he held me in OKC. After about an hour the old inspector, who was just sitting there kind of chuckling the whole time, finally let me go.
One inspector will tell you something, an hour later the next guy will write you a ticket because you did it the way the first guy told you to, and not HIS way.

I guess I was just picking nits. I still stand by what I said. BAFTE does not make laws. The law may says something like the BAFTE shall have the power to regulate explosives. The bureau then has authority to write a regulation the includes the definition of what an explosives is. Your are correct to have a beef with BATFE who wrote the regulation, not the legislature who wrote the law. I expect that you would want some government oversight of "significant" explosives. I will grant you that is hard to change an established regulation or one one that an agency is headstrong in changing. But, I believe, what you sought was a change in regulation, not law. To further murk the already murky waters, a good strategy to change a regulation is to get legislatures (yes, law makers) to put pressure on the bureau to change its regulation. Still, no laws are made or changed. Sorry, once a bureaucrat, always a bureaucrat. I just want it be right.
As a former Federal Employee, DoD, I stand with you....higher ups (Congress, Washington, Lobbyist) become mis-informed and sometimes overreact. After last 25 years of terroristic activity, it is understandable some poor decision may have been in terms of national security/safety.

Several years ago I bought a box of the MJG firewires. I had 100% failure rate even though they tested fine. Fortunately, I had redundancy for both drogue and main that were fired with Quest Q2's. I contacted MJG and when I told them the lot number they said that they had gotten a bad raw material. Apparently, when customers started complaining about the firewires failing their examination found that a raw material was out of spec. So they replaced my box at no charge. Since then, I've used another box and a half with no problems. I still use Quests as a backup but my supply of those is really low. (I had bought a bunch of bulk packs of the Quest motors just to get the igniters.)

Interesting, how long ago did you buy that box or what was the manufacture date?

I got my original box (of bad ones) in 2015. I found my emails back and forth with a Mr. Jeff Genzel of MJG Technologies during that time period. They replaced my box Jan 2016 and all of those worked with no failures. Other lots have also worked 100% for me in my DD setups. Unfortunately, I don't have a written record of that bad lot number as my first contact was to call them and as soon as I told him the lot number he said they would replace mine due to the bad raw material.

When the ones who make the laws (make no mistake, due deference means BATFE makes law) don't know their own area of "expertise"............

Worst -- Terry
I couldn't agree more. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I get calls from them asking if some things are regulated. I have a standard answer, and Ill not go into that.

BATFE in Dallas Tx says e-matches are not regulated. They called and asked me, not being one to argue, I told them no they are not regulated.

Their boss says go out and find out what's regulated, since they have no reference as what is and what isn't they get on the phone and ask questions.

Has any one ever seen the BATFE's definition of an "igniter". If so would you please send me a link so I can read it? I've never been able to find it.

I couldn't agree more. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I get calls from them asking if some things are regulated. I have a standard answer, and Ill not go into that.

BATFE in Dallas Tx says e-matches are not regulated. They called and asked me, not being one to argue, I told them no they are not regulated.

Their boss says go out and find out what's regulated, since they have no reference as what is and what isn't they get on the phone and ask questions.

Has any one ever seen the BATFE's definition of an "igniter". If so would you please send me a link so I can read it? I've never been able to find it.

As someone who's dealt professionally with the F part of that alphabet soup for going on 30 years, I happen to believe that NO ONE there writes anything down....except crazy hairbrained ideas and violations. And rules. Lots and lots and lots of rules......that change depending on if the non-elected bureaucrat got laid last night, or decent coffee this morning. Doesn't really matter, since the dude in one cube over will issue a contradictory statement.

And I'm relatively sure that the reason that they don't write anything down is because they simply can't/don't read. My cynical side says it's also because they don't have any idea in the world what they're doing.

But what little that they do write down is contradictory, often within the same sentence, and defies all but 3rd grader logic.....and sometimes the laws of physics.

Back