Igniter question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenman

Reaction score
Is there any difference in loading and hooking up the igniter between over the counter g motors and larger reloadables?

No one knows?

Ok can I use a regular igniter for a 38mm/240 motor or would I need something longer or bigger (not even sure if they exist larger)?

A small igniter in a big motor may not light it.

A big igniter in a small motor may not fit or may be too large to exit the nozzle properly and cause a cato.

A small igniter in a big motor may not light it.

A big igniter in a small motor may not fit or may be too large to exit the nozzle properly and cause a cato.

Forgive my ignorance but where are larger igniters available? All I see are copperheads. Do igniters typically come with reloads? I have ordered my first reloads ever and haven't received them yet.

All AT reloads hobby line 18-24-29mm come with copperheads a few of the single use come with First fire Jr.

Almost all commercial reloads in 29 and 38mm come with motor starters. when you get to 54mm and up you must supply your own I do believe 54mm CTI com with e-match.

Most vendors that sell AT will have first fires ,and several others sell different sizes and brands. but ask for motor starters not igniters. We must be politically correct these days!

Wildman and Ken Allen at PH sell them.

as for your question, there is no difference...the igniter head is inserted to the top of the propellent grain, and the leads are hooked up to a power source.

Ahh so thats what an E-match is! I thought it was used to ignite black powder deployment charges.

Not to hijack my own thread but are the black powder deploy charges available online? I only saw the plastic tubes which contain them on wildmans website and coastrocketry. If so does one require a cert to purchase?

And a quick thanks to all who participated in responding! I enjoy this forum very much! Such a wealth of knowledge!!!

Are you referring to the BATF's supposed trend to regulating igniters?

Well, if he is, they are still regulated no matter what you call them. That is why I was asking why to call them that.

Sam

I don't know what BATF is. How does one go about acquiring the black powder charges for 2 stage rockets? Do you just need an L1?

I don't know what BATF is. How does one go about acquiring the black powder charges for 2 stage rockets? Do you just need an L1?

Nobody sells just the small BP charges alone that I know of. You have to buy a 1 pound can of BP at a sporting goods store, then make your charges with that.

Sam

Nobody sells just the small BP charges alone that I know of. You have to buy a 1 pound can of BP at a sporting goods store, then make your charges with that.

Sam

You can get 12 individual premeasured 1.4 gr charges for 6.00 right here. As well as all the motor initiators you want. Pic shows 1 charge, you get 12.....Value Rockets.

https://www.valuerockets.com/

If you want an igniter go to a blasting company.
Igniters are technically defined as blasting caps, a device used for electrically setting off tnt, dynamite, or ampho among others. This goes back to the days of fused blasting caps you lit with a match. Sooo ....by the definition used in the blasting industry, an igniter is used to set off an explosion and we should have never called a device to light a rocket motor the same.

This definition explanation comes from talking to a friend of mine who does blasting at a local quarry and also flies rockets. I know there are many other opinions on this and this is why it is better to just to use the PC term.
Enough has been said on this subject. If you want to be PC then order and buy initiators or motor starters.
If you want to be told no, keep asking for igniters. I will make no further comments on this topic.

Picture 5.png

Picture 6.png

Picture 3.png

Last edited:
Ahh so thats what an E-match is! I thought it was used to ignite black powder deployment charges.

THey can be used for both.

Most CTI motors have a black powder pellet press fitted into the top fuel grain.
An e-match is all the is needed to start the motor.

Yes they are also used for ejection charges because e-match takes very little current to fire.
Most altimeters use low current to fire.

At the pad, most use a 12volt car or motorcycle battery to supply current to the initiators which require the higher voltage to function,

All AT reloads hobby line 18-24-29mm come with copperheads a few of the single use come with First fire Jr.

Almost all commercial reloads in 29 and 38mm come with motor starters. when you get to 54mm and up you must supply your own I do believe 54mm CTI com with e-match.

Every CTI that I've flown has come with an igniter provided, up to and including 75mm 5 grain loads (they don't use the pellet in larger sizes though - they use a dipped e-match instead). As you said though, with AT, you need to supply your own at 54 and up.

You can get 12 individual premeasured 1.4 gr charges for 6.00 right here. As well as all the motor initiators you want. Pic shows 1 charge, you get 12.....Value Rockets.

https://www.valuerockets.com/

If you want an igniter go to a blasting company.
Igniters are technically defined as blasting caps, a device used for electrically setting off tnt, dynamite, or ampho among others. This goes back to the days of fused blasting caps you lit with a match. Sooo ....by the definition used in the blasting industry, an igniter is used to set off an explosion and we should have never called a device to light a rocket motor the same.

This definition explanation comes from talking to a friend of mine who does blasting at a local quarry and also flies rockets. I know there are many other opinions on this and this is why it is better to just to use the PC term.
Enough has been said on this subject. If you want to be PC then order and buy initiators or motor starters.
If you want to be told no, keep asking for igniters. I will make no further comments on this topic.

That is an interesting explanation. I never thought about it that way.

Thanks for explaining it.

Sam

It is not difficult to make your own "motor starters". You can buy the wire online and get the "chemicals" at your local drug store and camping supply store. I ordered mine at the Wal-mart pharmacy and bought the fire starter at Dicks Sporting Goods. They have lit H through M motors.

Do a search for igniters here and some of the other sites like RP or Newtons3rd.

It is pretty easy to make igniters for the larger motors. It's the smaller motors that are more difficult. You have to use smaller wires, dips and make sure everything will come out of the motor so it doesn't cato on you.

Back