Quantcast

Igniter Dipping-Canada

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Dipstick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey fellow Canucks, anyone know of a good source or recipe for igniter dip?

I fly a lot of old and aging Aerotech reloads with a fair bit of success. I know scuffing up grains, etc and can usually get things to light eventually, but some motors just don't want to roll. An igniter or two burns in them and I have to dissasemble to scuff grains again. The old single use motors are even harder...

I can make decent igniters for HP loads, but want a recipe for the tiny reloads where I can make a thin gauge igniter with bridge wire and a good pyro.

The vendors that sell these seem to be US only and obviously won't ship up here...

Ideas?

markg

Reaction score
I don't know, but I'm interested in the answer as well. Last time I went out to launch I had back to back E18 reloads that wouldn't light. I only tried one igniter each as I didn't have any spares with me. Actually, that was back in July and I still haven't done anything with those reloads. I was planning on pulling them apart, scuffing up the grains and adding a sliver of pyrodex to the top of the grain to help get it started.

cheers - mark

Dipstick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nakka has several initiator mixtures described on his site. The HotFlash mixture in the PDF sounds as though it would do. He also gives instructions (second link below) on sources of the needed materials.

Best -- Terry
Thanks Terry! You are probably the right guy to ask...what do I need to be aware of with this warning line "Compositions that include nitrates and aluminum have, under certain conditions, potential for undesirable side reactions that evolve heat and ammonia gas. "

I get the potential, what certain conditions do I need to be aware of?

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Terry! You are probably the right guy to ask...what do I need to be aware of with this warning line "Compositions that include nitrates and aluminum have, under certain conditions, potential for undesirable side reactions that evolve heat and ammonia gas. "

I get the potential, what certain conditions do I need to be aware of?
Wetted with water :(. The boric acid counters that reaction, though. If you can't find boric acid in the drugstore, check the labels on roach powders; some are pure boric acid. And in any event, mix up only what you need for a single dipping session. If memory serves I've dipped 100 starters with a 10-gram batch of a dipping mixture, and had some left over to burn. A small, narrow polyethylene or polypropylene container (small prescription bottle or similar) is good for dipping.

Best -- Terry