If your interested..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
If this post is deemed to be inappropriate, I understand it may be removed..if that happens, my apologies in advance.

At Ebay a seller from Brazil has had a continuous set of auctions that include a CD collection of technical books, which amongst the collection, included:

Metallic Materials and Elements for Aerospace Vehicle Structures - 1653 pages

The original was printed in 1998, and it states on the cover - found after the index of additions/corrections:

DISTRIBUTION STATEMENT A.
Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited.

Ok, so I can't see sending a MO all the way to brazil, and dealing with all the hassle just to try and get it, so like most I search online from time to time, and found a link that has the download. Its not your run of the mill 30 megs, nay - 118 meg of details and is freely available. This is also the 2001 version, with updates and additions/corrections. So if your interested, go to this link,

www.quanterion.com

sign up for a free account to gain access to their documents, and they'll send you the link- no charge.

Was it worth it on 24K speed, and nearly 30 hours ?. Yes, just for some of the details and explanations of metals and their makeup at they pertain to vehicle structure.

OR if you don't want a single d/l and prefer d/l it piece by piece..go to:

https://www.grantadesign.com/cgi-bin/stat-tree.cgi?src=MIL5-H.xml&br=1

This has each chapter in individual pdfs..so I basically wanted one d/l with less fuss. lol

In case your wondering what this book details:

1.1.2 SCOPE OF HANDBOOK — This Handbook is primarily ntended to provide a source of design mechanical and physical properties, and joint allowables. Material property and joint data obtained from tests by material and fastener producers, government agencies, and members of the airframe industry are submitted
to MIL-HDBK-5 for review and analysis. Results of these analyses are submitted to the membership during semi-annual coordination meetings for approval and, when approved, published in this Handbook.

This Handbook also contains some useful basic formulas for structural element analysis. However, structural design and analysis are beyond the scope of this Handbook.

Hope that helps,

Back