If you moved, and wanted...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exceptional music? The world-class cuisine? The vibrant arts and culture scene? The robust tech industry? The booming job market? South x Southwest and the COTA Formula One track, which bring the world to town each year? The extensive higher education opportunities?
Austin was pretty much the only place in TX I was considering. Mostly because of everything you mentioned. Of course it's very popular so it's grown quite a bit. But I hear its a really nice place. But I am a long ways out from any place at the moment.
J

Austin, and the surrounding area, have some other "outrageous things" to avoid, also. The rest of Texas, for the most part, is mighty fine !

Dave F.

When was the last time you were in Austin?

Can't say as I can recommend west KY much. Cost of living is good, though there aren't many for-sale signs about these days, one can usually purchase a basic home in the county (outside the city) for $150k or even less. Not much to do, you mostly make your own entertainment. People tend to congregate in either Kroger or Walmart; that's the social life, mostly. MCMC is nearby with a 12k waiver.

What I really can't abide is the heat with humidity. Mid-90s in June, humidity, lows in the mid- to upper-70s. Miserable. Must walk in the mornings, or with my phase-change cooling vest. Can't stand to be outside much of the day.

Austin was pretty much the only place in TX I was considering. Mostly because of everything you mentioned. Of course it's very popular so it's grown quite a bit. But I hear its a really nice place.
I went to college in Austin and it was one way then, it has changed a lot since. I had family there and work colleagues so I've had to visit a lot since. It used to be quiet and layed back but the town has gotten much busier and crowded which has affected its "beauty" and I don't consider it to be a nice place anymore. The hill country is interesting and more scenic than where I live now, but I've lived both places and even with my current area being less scenic I've never been tempted to live in Austin again.

Suffice to say everything JM is writing was my reasons for considering the area.
Since I am pretty sure the whole yes/no Austin thing will lead nowhere but to moderators getting involved. I'll just drop it.
Thanks JM for the idea.

There's more than one way to handle Dumbass Dave's posts! 👍
View attachment 581024
I know. It is just sad. It is not time nor place. But it is still sad. I am sad enough. And then to see this... whatever. We are who we are. How could any God think we are being loving???????? I don't get it. Never mind. Moderators do your duty. Where I am not welcome, I should not go. Even tho we are supposed to be allowed to.

Anyway... on topic... there are great places in the Southwest. I can see that at some point, AZ, NV, or NM could be nice... As I said, right now, no rash decisions. Later? Who knows? But NM is a newly added list of "maybes'. Thank you John!!!

If I wasn't living here, and needed to move, I'd probably move somewhere near DFW. The weather is nice* most of the year; when it gets hot it's not too hot, when it's cold, it's not too cold. Texas has no income tax. The cost of living in still fairly low. There are the amenities of living in/near a big city. There's a great highway/road system to get you around the area. Even though it's a "big city", the population density is low. Actually, a lot like the OKC area, except here we have less people (plus it's a bit cooler in summer/winter).

*yeah, tornados. They're really not that big of a deal. Get homeowner's insurance and you're covered. The chances are minuscule that you'll be anywhere near one (unless you go looking for one).

I know. It is just sad. It is not time nor place. But it is still sad. I am sad enough. And then to see this... whatever. We are who we are. How could any God think we are being loving???????? I don't get it. Never mind. Moderators do your duty. Where I am not welcome, I should not go. Even tho we are supposed to be allowed to.
FWIW, I believe that most people in Texas or anywhere else are as capable as you and I of welcoming neighbors we disagree with politically, religiously, or otherwise. The few who are not tend to make more noise. In my first contribution to this thread, I did mention political and social climate as something to consider, but I don't think you should consider any of that as a "Do not enter" sign for someplace you want to go.
1684324761466.png

In my first contribution to this thread, I did mention political and social climate as something to consider, but I don't think you should consider any of that as a "Do not enter" sign for someplace you want to go.
Absolutely correct . . . Not a "do not enter" sign, at all . . . Rather, it's "know which door you are opening and what lies beyond, so you can make an informed decision". Choose wisely, depending on what you are looking for, whatever that may be.

You did mention "certain concerns" in your first post in this thread, which are always valid for anyone considering relocation. As I mentioned, our pastor and his entire family are from Texas and have lived there for generations, all the way back to the late 1800's. Currently, they reside all over the state and Oklahoma, too. I consider them a valid source of information about Texas.

Also, the Dallas / Ft. Worth area has the DARS NAR section, a great organization to fly with.

Good luck with finding your eventual new home !

Dave F.

There can be value when the village idjit provides input. Simply consider the source and figure the opposite.

The heat and humidity in Austin in summer can be oppressive especially to someone coming from a milder climate. If it's on your list spend a week in August to get a feel for it.

If you're looking into Central Texas, try New Braunfels. Between San Antonio and Austin in I-35 and pretty as a picture.
My cousin is in New Braunfels. Cute downtown, great chili, lotsa blonde ladies, access to foothills, big city south and north if you want, and I didn't get bit by a fire ant there.

My cousin is in New Braunfels. Cute downtown, great chili, lotsa blonde ladies, access to foothills, big city south and north if you want, and I didn't get bit by a fire ant there.
New Braunfels is a really cool small city. It has managed to retain much of the vibe and culture of the early German settlers who came to Texas in the 19th century and, as you note, is essentially a suburb to two cool large cities, San Antonio and Austin. As a point of interest the suburbs of San Antonio are absolutely filled with Air Force and Army retirees.

What are typical winter temps please? Just showed my wife some homes in Las Cruces for sale, and she requested that I start looking into a winter break trip to come check it out. Never been to NM, need to check out out, and that eventual retirement home isn't going to find itself! :)

I lived in LC for a few years in the late 80s. I moved away but my folks stayed and are still there today. Over the years my wife and I have visited many times and discussed going back for good after retirement. As it happens, she had a job opportunity crop up earlier this year and low and behold we're moving! She accepted the job and starts June 16. I made the first trip last weekend with a fully loaded 12ft trailer. Memorial Day weekend will be the "big" move of most of the rest. I've found it be a great town and very much looking forward to living there again.

New Braunfels is a really cool small city. It has managed to retain much of the vibe and culture of the early German settlers who came to Texas in the 19th century and, as you note, is essentially a suburb to two cool large cities, San Antonio and Austin. As a point of interest the suburbs of San Antonio are absolutely filled with Air Force and Army retirees.
The "crime rate" for New Braunfels looks very promising, compared to Austin & San Antonio.

SAN ANTONIO
https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in-san-antonio-tx-metro

AUSTIN
https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in-austin-tx-metro

NEW BRAUNFELS
https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in-new-braunfels-tx

Dave F.

The "crime rate" for New Braunfels looks very promising, compared to Austin & San Antonio.

The crime rate (no quotation marks required) in any smaller community in the US will generally be lower than any than any larger community.

Quit slagging on people’s homes, Dave.

The crime rate (no quotation marks required) in any smaller community in the US will generally be lower than any than any larger community.
Moreover, any large city will have both good areas and bad areas, and the crime rate of the city overall will not reflect the experience of those living in either.

Quit slagging on people’s homes, Dave.
The crime rate is always a prime concern, when one is considering moving to any new location.

The facts do not "slag" on anyone's homes, James . . . If an area is safe and offers the desired amenities, great . . . But, if is not safe, then the amenities of that area lose their appeal, rapidly. Just the facts of demographics and statistics, not personal opinion !

https://study.com/academy/lesson/how-demographics-contribute-to-crime.html

You praised New Braunfels . . . Yet, when I agreed with you and mentioned another great incentive about it, the relative safety of the community, you decide to pounce.

You will also notice that the links I posted showed all of the safer and less safe areas of the various cities, without any judgment of them being passed.

Let's stick to the facts and leave "personalities" out of it. After all, this is about trying to help someone who wants to relocate, isn't it.

Dave F.

Last edited:
I was looking for ideas that is all. And I got a few new ones and hope maybe a few more. Who knows? Right now my head is pretty screwed up and my life is a one huge turd. Maybe I should not have even posted. But the idea of visiting a few days here, and a few days there, sounds reasonable. I assume I'll be living alone. I'll be in my 60s. In reasonable but not ironman shape. Right now, I can't even fathom how to live alone since I am not doing so well at it yet. But access to my hobbies seems reasonable. Access to a reasonably sized urban area seems like a good idea. Maybe a burb. Having a lot of storage is mandatory (like for a shop and garage and stuff). But that has nothing to do with the area other than big places with packed downtowns that are mostly condos are out.

After all I have to drive 2 hours to launch MPR/HPR and at least that long to get under sort of dark skies. So my politics are my business and I try to keep them out of my thought process for this. Just askin' around to see what others across the great fruited plains think. I'm rambling. Sorry.

I was looking for ideas that is all. And I got a few new ones and hope maybe a few more. Who knows? Right now my head is pretty screwed up and my life is a one huge turd. Maybe I should not have even posted. But the idea of visiting a few days here, and a few days there, sounds reasonable. I assume I'll be living alone. I'll be in my 60s. In reasonable but not ironman shape. Right now, I can't even fathom how to live alone since I am not doing so well at it yet. But access to my hobbies seems reasonable. Access to a reasonably sized urban area seems like a good idea. Maybe a burb. Having a lot of storage is mandatory (like for a shop and garage and stuff). But that has nothing to do with the area other than big places with packed downtowns that are mostly condos are out.

After all I have to drive 2 hours to launch MPR/HPR and at least that long to get under sort of dark skies. So my politics are my business and I try to keep them out of my thought process for this. Just askin' around to see what others across the great fruited plains think. I'm rambling. Sorry.
You’re amongst friends. Ramble away. It’s better than bottling it all up.

I lived in LC for a few years in the late 80s. I moved away but my folks stayed and are still there today. Over the years my wife and I have visited many times and discussed going back for good after retirement. As it happens, she had a job opportunity crop up earlier this year and low and behold we're moving! She accepted the job and starts June 16. I made the first trip last weekend with a fully loaded 12ft trailer. Memorial Day weekend will be the "big" move of most of the rest. I've found it be a great town and very much looking forward to living there again.
Anyone who goes to New Braunfels should stop by the 1845 Meat Company and buy some goodies. My BIL and oldest sister are partners with another family in the company.

Back