IF - you had to do it all over again

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
And the wife said it was okay-
What would be your first Fiberglass kit - 29/38mm adaptable ???
More than likely I will stay on the lower side of things- J/L CR single deploy first flights , with the option of a true D/D from there .

I did my first fiberglass lamination for my L3. It was a 7.5 inch PML phenolic Pterodactyl rocket. That taught me how to laminate. Until then, or for smaller rockets, it wasn't necessary.
The same launch where I flew my L3, LDRS 24, I bought my first 4 inch G10 tubes from Tim Lehr.
I would always put the largest motor mount I could. You can always adapt down.

To add - I would like to stay in the 3 inch range or less. Low and slow is fine , although I wont rule out a speedy.

Fiberglass - 38mm that can be flown with a 29mm adaptor. sorry for the confusion- I can see it now :facepalm:
Edited. :wink:

Wildman Punisher Super Sport, with some upgrades from Attebury, Teddy, & Engelgau. Sky Cadillac!

I would still do the same as first

38mm wildman darkstar jr /highest flight to date with it 9550 ft on J510

Grab a 54mm body tube rocket with a 38mm mount. Will fly on a huge range of motors

Wildman Jr seriers, Madcow has several kits this size, and MAC just released a line of 54mm sized rockets.

Grab a 54mm body tube rocket with a 38mm mount. Will fly on a huge range of motors

Wildman Jr seriers, Madcow has several kits this size, and MAC just released a line of 54mm sized rockets.
Yup, 38/54. Lots of short, no-Hazmat, far101 hops on Loki 38/120, AT 29/40-120.

As mentioned earlier, a Punisher Super Sport would be a good intro to fiberglass and be extremely versatile. My first FG kit was the Punisher Sport, and I love it. A 38mm hole and avbay would make it perfect.

A 38 mmt and an avbay make a super sport into a Jr...

i just finished building and flew a Mac Zodiac in 54 with a 38 motor mount. Great size and will fly from F to K. Great range, and likely going to be the main rocket I fly.

Everyone knows you get great stuff from Wildman and Madcow. But AMW's "animal" line are very good and worth a look, as well as the Fiber Max.

A 38 mmt and an avbay make a super sport into a Jr...

i just finished building and flew a Mac Zodiac in 54 with a 38 motor mount. Great size and will fly from F to K. Great range, and likely going to be the main rocket I fly.
I would recommend, in this context, to avoid the extra AVbay work on the SS. Put that into a JLCR instead.

My thoughts..

Do you 'need' to build a FG rocket for L1 or L2? They do come out heavier than paper, and will require the higher impulse motors.
They also tend to be more expensive than paper.

Are you talking strict FG, and not a laminated paper tube?

If I 'do it over again' I would stick with paper for my L1, and would possibly think of an FG kit for my L2. (I have a paper kit for my L2, and whenever I get around to it..) I did my L1 with a Wildman Darkstar Jr. That tiny BT offers some challenges, and it's high (altitude wise) for L2!

Except for the Punisher, apparently.

yes. not the punisher.

I still say for FG, grab a Jr kit :p

MAC's cutting all his 54 kits in CF now...I may look into that someday, but for now the canvas is pretty stout

Last edited:
I would recommend, in this context, to avoid the extra AVbay work on the SS. Put that into a JLCR instead.

Already got that covered, stopped by a buddys place today at lunch and came home with a couple projects. 2/38mm birds that need some love- / all finish work, nothing structural and some rigging.
let the madness continue:rolleyes: Will post some pics tomorrow.
Did manage to finish up my lastest scratch build .
20170808_200550_1502305234113.jpg

More than likely I will stay on the lower side of things- J/L CR single deploy first flights , with the option of a true D/D from there .

2.6" Wildman DarkStar with 54mm motor mount.
Has an AV bay and a plate for the nosecone so you can add a tracker or GPS up-top later on. -and it looks cool.
Get a 54mm Aeropac retainer, and the 29/38 and 38/54 adapters. Oh so easy-peasy - it fits, it works, nuff said.

Light enough without the AV bay to fly on a G motor - no cert, no wavier needed.

Put a small H in it, instant low and slow L1 at about 1500 ft.

Put an Aerotech DMS J425 in it. 14 sec max delay is perfect - no delay adjustment needed. Jolly Logic Chute release. (gotta pass the written test first) - this was the easiest, cleanest mile-high L2 I have ever seen. (my wife's L2 - she's way smarter than me)

Drop a K660 in the pipe and fly supersonic to 2.5 miles high.

Will even take a 6XL "L" class motor.

Just saw this thread...
Hands down, a Wildman Jr. I would've used it for L1 and L2. I fly mine all the damn time. Great kit, infinitely adaptable.

Did my L1 with the Madcow 2.6" Arcas. It's been a workhorse for me ever since. Flies on everything from G64 to biggest 38mm you can find.

I find 2.6" a little easier to manage than 54mm. Not a whole lot of difference, but I find packing chutes much easier in 2.6.

Back